We picked it up 2011 BC 3500RL

Clymer

Hello to everyone We picked up our new 2011 BC 3500RL last week in Knoxville and its now home parked on its new pad. This is our first 5th wheel having owned 4 motor homes prior so we will probably be visiting this forum quite a bit. We have a couple of issues that need to be taken care of but other than that we just LOVE this unit. Wow talk about home away from home. We stopped twice on the way home and it could not be any more comfortable than to turn on the fireplace and pour a glass of wine and rest in the recliner chairs and making dinner in the huge kitchen area was sooooo easy. The only thing so far that we don't care for is that all the slides operate on one switch and go in and out in sequence, I have now found this is standard on the BC...we would much rather have a separate switch for each slide...I think we could run into some problems with this at close campgrounds. Has any one run into any problems with this slide system?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. We know you will have many happy camping days. You can isolate the slides by turning off the slide. There should be 3 controls in the basement near the front close to the hydraulic pump. (If your slides are hydraulic). Don't forget to check out the Heartland Owners Club.

jimtoo

Hi Clymer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all ready and willing to help if needed.

I'm not sure the BC has the manifold to isolate the slides. But if it does, by opening and closing the valves as labeled, you can control which slide opens or closes.

Do think about the Owners Club and making some rallies in your area.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

caissiel

I have a 2009 that I had to modify the hydraulics I installed 4 individual valve on the return lines from each slide. I have a full write up on the project in BC Modification section, See slide controls. Its a charme to live in the 3500RL, it also tows like a dream with the 110Lbs "G" tires. We live in it full time and still, connot believe the room we have in the kitchen. We did a lot of improvement and on is the W?D Swing that is now like ours in the 2011 model.
here is the post
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11836

GETnBYE

Congrats and enjoy. I am not sure, but I think I have read that to have seperate slide switches is an option. We have the same set up for the slides. It was never a problem except one campground with lots of close trees. We just moved to another site. I don't think I would want to camp without slideing all the slides out, but might need to. What I love about our floorplan is that we can get to everything....bathroom, bed, fridge, and even the living room. although very close, we could stay overnight somewhere without sliding out if we just had to. I am glad to see the post above mine with the link of how to install a change. Thats that great thing about this site. Your questions might be answered without you even asking them.
Happy camping, we hope to be back on the road soon.

lwmcguir

With one slide switch you need to do at least two walk around checks to be sure nothing is in behind the slides inside and you have enough distance outside. Converting it over to independent switch's is worth the money I think. I had a cabinet door swing open, roll of towers topple behind a slide and so on when using our previous unit. I like the independent slide switches when stopping en-route as well. The conversion that is posted is great.

SilverRhino

Welcome!!!

Congratulations on your new rig!

I'm sure you will love it and this forum is a great place to learn all kinds of information.....even some things about RV's :)

We have a 2010 BC 3250 and have not really had any problems related to the slide control issue. I too was concerned at first....but so far....we have been able to get to everything we need while traveling and it has not been an issue in any RV parks.

Again, Congratulations and welcome to the HL "family"

Good Luck & Travel Safe!

bill40

Hello Cylmer , we did the same thing, went from a 38ft Trop A Cal to the BC. At frist I thought the slide thing would be a issue but after spending the last 3+ months on the road it was not as big an issue as I thought. The only time I could have used the seperate slide buttons was when we would stop for a lunch break, never was a problem in any of the many CG we stayed at. It appears that several of the guys have beable to make the change for a lot less than the price the dealer gave me. Try it for a while before you make the change.

caissiel

On our trip south we used the valves everytime we stopped. The main slide has to be opened 6-8 inches for access to the table, and the kitchen slide has to be opened 6 inches to use the stove and open the drawers. We never once opened the desk slide. We even keep the desk slide closed during cold weather. We do spend many meals at rest stops and cannot open the slides fully, and also we sleep at Flying J often and the parking spaces are limited. I see a lot of people with their slides fully extended, but for us its just a mather of opening the slides for access and then we close again. I find that the main slide do not have to extend beyond the canapy to be practical.

Last edited:

jbeletti

On our trip south we used the valves everytime we stopped. The main slide has to be opened 6-8 inches for access to the table, and the kitchen slide has to be opened 6 inches to use the stove and open the drawers....

With our 2005 Landmark, we did the same thing. I would travel with 2 of the 3 slides isolated so when we did stop, only the slide we used for meals opened up. When we reached our destination, I opened the other 2 valves. Worked well for us :)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new BC. Picking up the rig from Knoxville, I'm guessing you got it from Butch and Karen at rvs for less. They are great folks to work with. We have bought 2 HL's from them. Enjoy your home away from home.
Byrd

Clymer

Hello again....yes we did purchase from Butch and Karen and they are SUPER people. We felt so comfortable dealing with them. We looked for slide valves but so far have not located anything. I think we are going to see if it is a problem for us before we make any changes. I must say I was totally impressed at how easy it was to winterize the rig so much easier than the motor home and with everything right there in one spot...wow love it!

caissiel

How do you like the w/d closet door that opens toward the bed as compared to the older arrangement that was in my 2009 model. We did the swing modification on our unit and are very happy with it.

Clymer

Well I can honestly say we like everything about the rig except its been at the local dealer having the slideouts re-built and repaired. It appears that the factory either forgot or did not tighten the screws and bolts that hold the slides to the frame and we were told we were "lucky to have made it home" without losing the slideouts and this was not just one it was all except the bedroom. We are using the local Heartland dealer who we did not buy from because he only sells Big Horn not Big Country. So far they have had it for about 3 weeks and said maybe it would be ready late next week. They are super nice and we told them to take their time and really check everything because it appears someone took a break during the construction of our unit.

Anyway we are hoping this is the only issue and all will be well when it comes home and we can head to Florida..yippee

caissiel

If you like the layout, you will be very please with the unit. Its a bit heavier then other models but with the 7000 Lbs axles it a dream to tow. They are heavier build and so far we are pleased with it all.