Weighed rig

Ernie & Lettie

Have a 2002 ford excursion,4x4,v-10. weight by itself is 7380lbs, with full tank of fuel, Pull a 2010 North Country 29rls, weight 8480, tanks empty, propane full, trailer hooked to truck, truck at 8420lbs, trailer 7440lbs, total weight 15860, I was not in truck or trailer when weighed. Truck has 3:73 gears and does real well in pulling, I also have airbags on rear end, Total length is 56 feet long,both truck and trailer. only problem is driving into the wind. I average right around 9.1 to 9.3 mpg. GVW on trailer is 10,400 and truck gross pulling weight 10,100. so if I ever load the trailer to max I will be over by 300lbs.

Ernie & Lettie

lwmcguir

If you fill the water tank/tanks and have any water in the other tanks you can use up a lot of the 2500 pounds quickly. Normally we travel with minimal water in the tanks and fill up prior to setting up unless we are going to have hook ups. Helps keep the weights in line as you are looking to do.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
If you are getting 9 mpg then all is fine.....I have about the same overall weight as you and get 8.5 in my newer V-10. A custom safe tune will give you noticeable power increase and about .2-.3 more mpg. Mike @ 5 Star tuning can fix you up. (he has a V-10 like yours).
http://www.5startuning.com/

Ernie & Lettie

I bought the superchips plug in computer and changed the truck puter to the tow mode. There is more power and more mpg than when I bought the truck. I normally travel with the tanks empty, cause I really dont do any boondocking as of yet. I just cant believe the stuff that I have put in the trailer only came to about 600 lbs, I thought that it would be much more. thanx Ernie

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
the solution

if that is all you are over then might I suggest a bran muffin or two wait for nature and when it is done head on out on a great adventure totally underweight......................

You all might consider putting Amsoil in all your vehicles, even the generators. I was getting 18mpg on Dodge RAM 5.9. After putting oil in all the cases I am getting between 25-28mpg.

Ernie & Lettie

Goldwinghaulers, had synthetic put in all the cases, axles,xfer, but not amsoil. If it gave you that much more on fuel mileage than it might be worth it to get it changed over, thanx for the tip.

Rumaco, really dont need that brand muffin, body still works great, lol. Later Ernie& Lettie

SilverRhino

You all might consider putting Amsoil in all your vehicles, even the generators. I was getting 18mpg on Dodge RAM 5.9. After putting oil in all the cases I am getting between 25-28mpg.

So by doing nothing else...you see a 39% increase in fuel mileage by running synthetics??

WOW :eek:

caissiel

Oil is oil, synthetic is only lighter when cold. Once it is heated its the same thickness. But it has many long therm qualities, but no way you can gain that much. Maybe .25 to .5 MPG at best.
I have a Ford and synthetic all in also.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I disagree. All oil is not the same. There are various additives depending on the manufacturer. Some lubricate better than others and some last longer than others.

lwmcguir

Oil that has the same rating is similar but as Jim points out that is where it stops. Every brand has different additives at different percentages. Different viscosity ranges has different additives as well. Synthetic old should last longer be-for the carbon chain breaks down and may do less damage if ran to long. We have JD tractors and the oil required by JD in the transmission/hydraulics has zinc added where as most hydraulic systems no use straight synthetic such as our campers.

lwmcguir

Oil is oil, synthetic is only lighter when cold. Once it is heated its the same thickness. But it has many long therm qualities, but no way you can gain that much. Maybe .25 to .5 MPG at best.
I have a Ford and synthetic all in also.

I have to agree about the milage improvement. Wish there were such an oil, it would be great.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Go to a CAT scale and make sure your total weight is under GVWR and that it is distributed correctly.
I was told directly by Lippert, rightly or wrongly, 80% of all flat springs and suspension problems are caused by being overweight. Once you get checked and get a printout that you are underweight, your pin weight is correctly distributed as well as your axle weight, my guess is you can go to Lippert for satisfaction. They have a bad enough reputation that you may get them to take some responsibility. Just one man's opinion.

Delaine and Lindy

39% Fuel mileage improvement ???

I think I would have to see some sort of professional test ?? I really think that all the Big 3 would be use nothing but synthetic oils if that were the case. Being that the Government is focing them to improvement mileage. I have neve used snthetic, have always use Rotella 15/40 in all my Diesel engines. GBY.....

caissiel

Diesel World did some testing on mileage improvement of a Ram Diesel truck and thats what they found by switching to all Synthetic oils. No more then .5 MPG improvement.
The best improvement for mileage is controlling your very own foot.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Jet engines

Turbine engines (N2 gas producers and N1 accessory drives) turn at about 56,000 RPM and vary EGT from 1300 degrees F to 2300 degrees F at max power demands and Synthetic is the only oil that can stand up to it. No coking or burning on shutdown. Oil (both) will not break down, only the additives in it do, and most definately Synthetic and Pet based oils are not the same.........not even close. The W in oil stands for winter not weight and so a 0W20 means nothing more than a 0 weight acting as a 20 weight during specific temperature ranges. Synthetic oils are not subject to burning or breakdown AS MUCH as the pet based. Synthetics take the heat out faster and clean better at lower viscosity. One of the best oils for deisels is 5W30 heavy duty deisel matched with a bypass filter system. Just my opinion................thanks for listening!

Russ

lwmcguir

We run Motocraft oil in the engines under warranty and Rotella in the one that have expired. 15-40 in the Summer and most of the winter. Worked well so far with many miles on all the engines. Going over 200K on one 7.3.

tmcran

Humm, This huge increase only works for Dodge owners. Pulling I assume:confused: