North Dakota in December. Brrrr.....

hddcyclone

Thought I'd post some pics of my 3010 all skirted in here in Beulah, North Dakota. It hasn't been above 10 degrees in over a week and I'm surprised how warm I'm staying. I'm glad that Heartland gave me good enough insulation and heat to stay out of the motels since thats why I bought it!

Attachments

• 10853_1214584242878_1176960067_30549394_5021507_n.jpg
    10853_1214584242878_1176960067_30549394_5021507_n.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 10853_1214584402882_1176960067_30549395_2700303_n.jpg
    10853_1214584402882_1176960067_30549395_2700303_n.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 253

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's great that your Heartland is keeping you warm. We too have had good luck with keeping warm...down to about 17 degrees. That was down here in Texas, up around Dallas. Don't think I'd want to try the nothern part of the country though...Good Luck and stay warm!:)

rogerlouden

HDD, ya it's getting a bit nippy up here. Had to break out the long johns the other day! You must be working the oil fields and if so that's gotta be cold.

hddcyclone

Haha, I've had the long johns on for over a month, now its three layers and coveralls, no Harley riding going on here! It's currently -3 and feels like -17, and it feels about right. I'm working at the Great Plains Synfuels plant, they produce synthetic natural gas, as well as anhydrous ammonia and a bunch of other additives and gases for many different industries.

love the pics.... so, the skirting, just insulation board from the local Lowes, Home Depot? Very cool... hope you stay warm... will be anxious to hear how it goes as the snow flies!

hddcyclone

The board is 1'' tongue and groove insulation board from Lowes. I just cut it to fit a couple inches up on the body, and at first it was held by the boards and packing tape. Packing tape doesn't hold in a 50 mph wind, and I lost half of it already once. Now I've got 1x2 inch stakes at most of the seams on the backside and the 2x4s are sort of wedged into the insulation to hold them in place. I've got 3 500 watt work lights right under the tanks and that makes quite a difference with the heat of the floor. The only thing that gets really cold is over the 5th wheel, and thats to be expected. I lucked out and my sewer hose is under the slide out so I don't have to worry about that freezing a whole lot either. Its currently -5 with a -22 windchill and the Cyclone is 68 and happy.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6117

hddcyclone,

Read this forum thread from one end to the other for my Cyclone winter mods.

hddcyclone

HT, it looks like you've got a bulletproof rig (except that D-Max!). I will definitely be putting insulation on the floor of the garage, that is very cold even with skirting on. I haven't got the itch to rip down the whole insulated underbelly yet, and I'm supposed to be out of here by Christmas so I'll leave it for now. If i come back north for another winter, I will probably duplicate everything you have done. How did the slide toppers hold up? I'm thinking about getting those as well.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Easy on the old D-max, she's fared me well. 220k + miles...so far! :) You certainly want to wait for some warmer weather to make the modifications in the underbelly. It takes a little time, but well worth it. Personally, I am a believer in the slide awnings. I've read a lot of pros and cons about them. Mostly the noise they make in the wind, but no big problem for me. I like the fact that they keep the tops of the slides clean - leaves, limbs, snow and ice. Snow weighs them down periodically, but they spring back. :D

I'm on a project in northeast Nebraska and was hoping to be finished by Christmas, but will be coming back to work on Jan 4th. I don't know how long it will continue. Looking forward to some time off. Turned in 200hrs for the past 2 weeks. Been averaging @ 90hrs/wk for the past 2-1/2 months. Ready for a break!

Attachments

• HT 004.JPG
    HT 004.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 75
  • HT 005.JPG
    HT 005.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

jbeletti

...Turned in 200hrs for the past 2 weeks. Been averaging @ 180wk for the past 2-1/2 months. Ready for a break!

That's crazy HT. That's the sort of time I put in on my job. At least mine is sitting down (or driving) and mostly in front of a computer. Micah's college fund sure is happy to have reliable parents. And you'll be able to get her that Smart car in no time :eek:

Jim

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
That should have read 90hrs/wk for the past 2-1/2 months. I changed the original post...but still TOO MUCH work! Work definitely has a way to interfere with the things I'd rather be doing! Yeah, Micah seems to enjoy what daddy's doing! Smart car on hold - just got her a Ford F150 about a month ago! :)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
That should have read 90hrs/wk for the past 2-1/2 months. I changed the original post...but still TOO MUCH work! Work definitely has a way to interfere with the things I'd rather be doing! Yeah, Micah seems to enjoy what daddy's doing! Smart car on hold - just got her a Ford F150 about a month ago! :)

WHAT!!! FORD!!!!......what is happening to you ....snow, the cold and long hours has fried your brain. I think medical help is in dire need.....:D Kenny

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I agree, Kenny...I thought we did a better job of raising her! Brain freeze must have something to do with it. Once it thaws, I'm sure to have a cow!

Actually, it's a V6, '99 in mint condition and I got it for about 60% of the book value. Besides, with my (5)daughters' history with driving and vehicles...it may not last all that long either!

jnbhobe

HT; I'm glad to see your coming to your sences starting off with a good truck for Micah. Now don't listen to that Kenny guy. He ownes a couple of FORDS he's not telling you about. He got that Chebby after he fell off the roof :confused::confused: maybe he hit his head tooooooo!!!!!!:D:D MERRY CHRISTMAS

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
HT; I'm glad to see your coming to your sences starting off with a good truck for Micah. Now don't listen to that Kenny guy. He ownes a couple of FORDS he's not telling you about. He got that Chebby after he fell off the roof :confused::confused: maybe he hit his head tooooooo!!!!!!:D:D MERRY CHRISTMAS

HT....now who you going to believe me or Jon......besides I take the 5th. I will soon be moving to Sweden need my privacy.:D....Kenny

jnbhobe

Sweden !!!!!!!!!! :angel: Now don't start talkin bout them blonde scandinavian girls !!!!! That RED HEAD will get even with you:D:D:D

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Too much snow for me. It was 48 for a low last night here and that is too cold.

IMHO - snow's a waste unless I'm skiing! :) And, there's certainly none of that going on in this cornfield! High temp forecast today of 5 degrees, -13 degrees tonight! :eek: Should be sweater weather Thursday at 32 degrees! :D

hddcyclone

Ha just kiddin with ya... Can't beat the ride of a Chevy and you've got that Allison. I'm about to turn 100k on mine next week and hopefully it is with the Cyclone in tow out of ND for quite some time, the next job is in Kansas. Where are you at in Nebraska, my hometown is about 90 mins northeast of Sioux City.