Type of hitch for a 2006 2500HD 4x4 Short Bed Crew Cab

Does anyone know what type of Hitch I need in my truck for a 40 foot Landmark, the Oakmont model?

I hear and see in the fine print that a slider is not needed for the 2010 Landmark. My truck a 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Chev, Duramax has the short bed on it. The brochure says the short bed extended cab. The salesman says it will make the turn to 80 degrees as opposed to 88 degrees, 80 seems like enough. Any comments anywhere would be appreciated. How about the the B&W 3000 or B&W 3050 a 22K hitch sitting on a 30K pull cert? The Companion Series.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi skywagon02v,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of good information.

I moved your post to a better place to get answers from folks who have the same vehicle as yours and have more experience with hitches.

Enjoy the forum and consider making some Heartland rallies and also joining the Heartland Owners Club.

Jim M

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
I have an F-250 crew and decided to go with the super slide and am very happy with the combination.. this in my opinion leaves room for dips and valleys you might come accross while parking that rig... hope this helps ..

Mike

lwmcguir

We have the Fifth Airborne pin and use an F250 or F550 and with the Augusta have more room than we need. Considerably more than with the Yellowstone. With the 8K axles we have 8 inches above the bed and can certainly make the 88 degree turn if needed.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
SKYWAGON, The brand of hitch is a personal choice. Most will do the job. With a Landmark I would get at least an 18K hitch or better yet a 20K. You did not say which model of Landmark. You need to check your GCVW rating for your truck, a 2006 D/A 2500 is only rated at 22K. Most Landmarks are a 16K trailer. Your truck will probably weigh in about #7300. That plus 16K is #23000. You will over weight by 1K and will be very pin heavy. JMHO, you will need a bigger truck. We have a 2005 same truck but a C/C and with our short BH we are #1300 under the GCVW with all the tanks empty. We dont have a problem with making a 90* turn. Bob:D

lwmcguir

If I were buying one today, I would go with an air hitch. I like a smooth ride and like the Coach to ride smooth enough to keep things in place. Air suspension at a minimum and move on to the coach later and improve its ride as well. Overall I think the stress reduction is worth several upgrades if you are going to be towing very many miles. More than likely the roads are going to deteriorate some from where they are now based on the deficit that keeps growing.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I would go with the Pullrite 18K super glide slide without a doubt. That auto slide has accidentally saved my rear in tight spots and moves 14" forward and backward as needed. Just need to spray their recommended graphite green/yellow can I can't remember and you have to back almost straight in to no more than 6 degrees. Installed and guaranteed by CW everywhere, just make sure they put your 7 way electric hookup plug near the rear. i would look very carefully at the 5th airborne hitch pin to go along with it as the air bag is inside, versus the trailair air bag. I have mor/ryde hitch pin cushion and the nylon rings just don't have the comfort as the 5th airborne which rode real smooth when we went camping with friends no doubt about it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - Our pin weight in our Landmark is 3440 lbs. Forget the brochure listed weight. We have had ours weighed several times. We also have a 20k hitch not slider but have a long bed.

porthole

Retired
Skywagon
You are "pushing it" with that trailer and your truck.

I have the same truck/year.
See post #17 of this thread (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=10433). I have pictures of my trailer at 90 degrees with a Pullrite Superglide 18K hitch.
When you look at the pictures realize that the SuperGlide has moved 14" to the rear. I think it is plain to see that with my truck/trailer I could not put the trailer in the same position.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4518&d=1248739698

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4519&d=1248739698

It is not so much the 88/90 degree turn that I am concerned with, I am more concerned with the less then level ground when maneuvering.

The pictures below are from our annual trek to "Goldstock" The pics don't do the grade change justice.

I absolutely need all the clearance I can get for this location. And even with that I have "touched" the pickup bed side rails with the bottom of the trailer.

FYI, you have to be within 16 degrees of center to hitch/unhitch. But there are ways around that too if need be.

Another FYI, the Pullrite standard hitch mounting rails and the Super Glide rails are not interchangeable. It would have been nice to buy one bed mount then pick and choose which hitch to use.

The Pullrite is expensive. But it is well built, works as claimed and does so n=with no input from the driver.

Found another picture previously posted.

This is the trailer at 90, showing the slide all the way back.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4665&d=1249612445

Attachments

• D30_5253_001.JPG
    D30_5253_001.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 27
  • D30_5254_001.JPG
    D30_5254_001.JPG
    384.2 KB · Views: 27
  • D30_5256_001.JPG
    D30_5256_001.JPG
    504.1 KB · Views: 28
  • D30_5257_001.JPG
    D30_5257_001.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 26
  • D30_5258_001.JPG
    D30_5258_001.JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 27
  • D30_5259_001.JPG
    D30_5259_001.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 25

porthole

Retired
I also went with the MorRyde pin box. That decision was based on which adapter plates Pullrite made. They do not have a pin box specific plate for the Trailair or 5th Airborne, at least not when I bought mine.

Your pictures are rather conclusive. It is interesting to me as too why landmark trailers are advertised as not needing a slider? How is that possable when Looking at these pictures? My curiousity is simple when if ever do you need to be in a 90 degree position? Having driven Semi's I cant think of a single time I was ever in that position. Assuming you dont have a slider how far can you really turn a truck a short bed Chev, without contact on a new Landmark/Oakmont. Would 75 degrees be a fair number and if so is that adequate for any parking spot anybody has been in? The Landmark / Oakmont is 96 inches wide. Pin to vertical body of the coach is 96. The pin directly in the middle of the 96 inches and that equates to 48 inches. The number I wish I had is the Radious from the center of the pin to the Corners on the front of the coach. Is is 60 inches 50 inches what is that number? Can you measure yours and let me know?

porthole

Retired
Your pictures are rather conclusive. It is interesting to me as too why landmark trailers are advertised as not needing a slider? How is that possable when Looking at these pictures? My curiousity is simple when if ever do you need to be in a 90 degree position? Having driven Semi's I cant think of a single time I was ever in that position. Assuming you dont have a slider how far can you really turn a truck a short bed Chev, without contact on a new Landmark/Oakmont. Would 75 degrees be a fair number and if so is that adequate for any parking spot anybody has been in? The Landmark / Oakmont is 96 inches wide. Pin to vertical body of the coach is 96. The pin directly in the middle of the 96 inches and that equates to 48 inches. The number I wish I had is the Radious from the center of the pin to the Corners on the front of the coach. Is is 60 inches 50 inches what is that number? Can you measure yours and let me know?

Well for starters, my trailer is a Cyclone, which is 5 inches wider.
2nd, I doubt in the real world I will ever need to be at 90 degrees, but I have come close (80-85 maybe) making the swing to get in my driveway. I am on a cul-de-sac, but it is squared off and my driveway is only 10-12 from the curb.

And like I mentioned, if the grade is not level ....... I think that is more of my concern. Fortunately, I can back straight into my driveway, my driveway to my neighbors is probably 100'. But I have to get into the that "straight" position, and that requires a bit of a turn on less then level grade.

You can kind of get the idea in the below picture.

Something else to consider with the GMC, you can't even get to 90 degrees unless you are backing, they just don't have the turning radius.

Attachments

• D30_4854b.JPG
    D30_4854b.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 36

2010augusta

The number I wish I had is the Radious from the center of the pin to the Corners on the front of the coach. Is is 60 inches 50 inches what is that number? Can you measure yours and let me know?

I measuered our Landmark, and the number are: pin to first corner of bevel = 41-42", pin to outside corner of bevel = 52-54".

I have passed 90 degrees in a forward moving U-turn once, I had to turn around on a narrow 2 lane mountian road, I found a wide shoulder and made the U-turn with out backing but it was close even with the longbed.

lwmcguir

I have no problem at all with making 90 degree or sharper turns with a Landmark. The only modification is the Fifth Airborne hitch. I have a regular cross bed tool box and have plenty of clearance. With our Gulf-stream I had to use the low roof style tool box and could turn about 80 degrees and it was very nerve wracking wondering if you were going to hit the window. With the Landmark you can turn way sharper than the factory spring hangers will take if you do it very often. They are very light.

I measuered our Landmark, and the number are: pin to first corner of bevel = 41-42", pin to outside corner of bevel = 52-54".

I have passed 90 degrees in a forward moving U-turn once, I had to turn around on a narrow 2 lane mountian road, I found a wide shoulder and made the U-turn with out backing but it was close even with the longbed.
Well for starters, my trailer is a Cyclone, which is 5 inches wider.
2nd, I doubt in the real world I will ever need to be at 90 degrees, but I have come close (80-85 maybe) making the swing to get in my driveway. I am on a cul-de-sac, but it is squared off and my driveway is only 10-12 from the curb.

And like I mentioned, if the grade is not level ....... I think that is more of my concern. Fortunately, I can back straight into my driveway, my driveway to my neighbors is probably 100'. But I have to get into the that "straight" position, and that requires a bit of a turn on less then level grade.

You can kind of get the idea in the below picture.

Something else to consider with the GMC, you can't even get to 90 degrees unless you are backing, they just don't have the turning radius.
Sir,
Thank you for the response. What you did for me is help me make up my mind on a hitch. I will let you know how it works out. I see now why some choose put the slider in. The additional 5 inch width makes the slider a near nessesity. I called the factory and they could not give me the figures you just provided. By the way I am not getting a slider hitch. The 96 inch width is what makes the Difference in my case.
Thanks, again
Skywagon

porthole

Retired
Something I remembered from my trip out to the factory in May. There were a 1/2 dozen or more Heartland short bed GM pickups in the parking lot with non sliding hitches.

Oh - and by the way - good luck and don't forget to share your experience here.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I measured my pullrite slide to be 14" which gives u a little grace, as it's purpose is is to move both forward and reverse. If you have ever come close by turning to quick or backing up, it's better to be safe than sorry. You may save some money on repairs and a higher insurance rate.

geeksrus

Does anyone know what type of Hitch I need in my truck for a 40 foot Landmark, the Oakmont model?

I hear and see in the fine print that a slider is not needed for the 2010 Landmark. My truck a 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Chev, Duramax has the short bed on it. The brochure says the short bed extended cab. The salesman says it will make the turn to 80 degrees as opposed to 88 degrees, 80 seems like enough. Any comments anywhere would be appreciated. How about the the B&W 3000 or B&W 3050 a 22K hitch sitting on a 30K pull cert? The Companion Series.

IMHO: your major issue is that your 5er is overweight for the 2500. Getting a 3500 or larger truck with a long bed would also eliminate the turn radius issue.

Eh!

jnbhobe

I measured my pullrite slide to be 14" which gives u a little grace, as it's purpose is is to move both forward and reverse. If you have ever come close by turning to quick or backing up, it's better to be safe than sorry. You may save some money on repairs and a higher insurance rate.
Larry' The Super Glide only moves back 14" It only moves forward to return to the towing position

HD_RoadDog

Sidewinder pin box question?

After reading the comments in this thread I am considering purchasing a sidewinder pin box for my Cyclone 3612 I have on order. I have a pretty tight turn to get into my driveway and it would be disturbing to get the new rv home to find out I may not be able to get it in the drive way due to short bed turning limitations. Is anyone familiar with the pin box manufacture and model number used for the Cylone toy haulers.
I am thinking moving the pivot point back 22" may just give me the extra room i need.
Any opinions and comments would be appreciated.