Removing Vinyl Decals ?

rmchad

Heartland Owner
I want to remove a few of the decals on my new Sundance so I can put on custom decals related to my business.

I so another post (thanks Alan!) that Vinyl-Off is good at removing vinyl decals.

Has anyone removed a decal and how did you do it safely? I don't want to damage the underlying gelcoat.

Thanks!

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Heat gun or hair dryer? I can try both and see what works best. I sure hope I don't get them mixed up when I put them back -- that could make for a bad hair day for my wife and not so pleasant for me :)

Nell

I removed my front graphics due to having a front cap repair job done on my North Tail. I was going to use a hairdryer but the sun was streaming down on the front and I decided to just see if it would come off. It was very easy - just pull slowly and very steadily and they come off just like that. Without the sun I can see a hair dryer would work well!

jimtoo

Be really super careful with the Goo Gone... if you get it on any sticker or imprinted area, maybe even vinyl graphic (I have not tried it on graphics) it might just take the color out or smear it... That stuff is potent... I think I will just use a little diesel or cheap paint thinner or reducer from now on..

Jim M

2010augusta

As I stated before the vinyl off requires no extra heat as long as it is warm 60-70 degrees outside. I was really suprised just how well it worked. And Since you wipe it on with a rag, you can control where it goes, so you don't have to worry about runs and drips or overspray all over the rest of the surface.

porthole

Retired
Another point. The sooner you remove it from the application date the better.
The longer it stays on - the harder it is to remove the adhesive, and the decal in one piece.

Plus, the surrounding gel coat will change its color in relation to the covered area (yellowing)

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Another point. The sooner you remove it from the application date the better.
The longer it stays on - the harder it is to remove the adhesive, and the decal in one piece.

Plus, the surrounding gel coat will change its color in relation to the covered area (yellowing)

Excellent point. If it was not the heart of winter in Colorado, I would run out and take them off. Temperature was -14 (without windchill) at the house last night -- rather cold! I will plan on doing this as soon as I can in the Spring. Thanks!