Kitchen Sink strainers...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In a previous thread it was mentioned that some leave the gray water gate valves open all the time when connected to a shore sewer. It was indicated that debris could lodge in the gate valve so when it is closed it will not entirely stop water from leaking.

I am staying at my location until Feb 8th and am going to have the gray water gate valve replaced that goes to the kitchen gray water tank. I am leaving it open so the water will drain and not freeze in the line to the drain. To keep out as much debris I found a set of strainers at Wal-Mart and was wondering if anyone else uses them and if not how do you keep the larger debris out of your tank. There is no flushing system and if it is not flushed out it could become a problem.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_4550 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_4550 [800x600].JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_4552 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_4552 [800x600].JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_4553 [800x600].JPG
    DSC_4553 [800x600].JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 61

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We wipe the dishes and cookware into the trash can with out paper napkins and/or paper towels before washing. The comment about debris possibly accumulating in the tank if you let it constantly drain was mine. Something I read somewhere. I suppose if you flow plenty of water after doing the dishes, etc., it's not a problem.

Paul & Nan

I have a strainer, purchased at wallyworld or somewhere, have seen them a lot. looks like screenwire on a meta lring. Use that in the sink to keep out the crap. Even before that when we lived in our 5ver in the 90's, never had a problem with keeping the grey tank valves open for 3 years. Nan

Tom of Ypsi

Bob, We use the same kind of sink strainers and they work well. We also scrape our pots, pans and dishes into the trash but to be sure the strainers are used. We keep our gray tanks closed and every three days or so I drain them just as another precautionary measure.

Natesi

I've wondered about this and now I see someone posting about it.

I'm into juicing a lot -- and when cleaning up my juicer ground up vegetable debris is going to get into the holding tank -- even if I strain. Am I pretty much guaranteed to have a problem, eventually?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I've wondered about this and now I see someone posting about it.

I'm into juicing a lot -- and when cleaning up my juicer ground up vegetable debris is going to get into the holding tank -- even if I strain. Am I pretty much guaranteed to have a problem, eventually?

I don't juice but when you have a pot that has debris baked all along the edge and such you sometimes have to soak it and the mess is in the sink.

I have started leaving the gray water gate valves open and when I get ready to leave after a long stay I bring a water hose into the kitchen and put a lot of water down the drain, close the valve then fill the tank up at least half way and driain it.

Wish we had a flush for the kitchen tank also.....

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have always left our gray and black tanks closed until we are ready to dump.
The exception to this is we will open them the gray tank when we use the washer machine. We also use the sink drain screen and so far after many years of camping have not had a problem.

RoadJunkie

Anyone thought of adding a bypass valve system that will bypass the gray water tank for shore connection? Sorta like a gastric bypass?