Bicycle ladder rack

palebluedot

Santa is dropping off a couple of Schwinn cruisers on his rounds this Christmas. Now I have to install a ladder rack to carry them on our camping trips. I need recommendations for brands and sources. Did a search but didn't find much. Thanks.

boatdoc

I don't think Santa would want them hanging from the ladder. That's a NO NO in my eyes along with many others. The ladder, actually the mounts, are not designed to hold the weight of bikes bouncing down the road. Yea, yea I know many do it but it isn't good on anything, ladder or bikes. To each their own though!!

lwmcguir

Sure have seen a lot of Coaches with ladders coming off/loose and water entering the anchor holes. Boatdoc is right.

lwmcguir

Have seen a few mounts that originate from the frame when there is no bumper. That seems to be the way to do it with the frame supporting the weight. Then a mount to the end cap would only be a stabilizer. Maybe someone on the forum has done it that way.

Rmcgrath53

I have the ladder rack. If your smart about bungie cording them up the ladder and distribute the weight you should not have anyproblem. I do 2 bicycles and havent had a problem. Got mine at General Rv in wixom
Dont remember the brand or name.
Ron

caissiel

Its best to install a 2" receiver bolted to the frame. Never failed me for the last 16 years.

Riverman

Have you considered getting a rack for the front of the Dodge instead? Probably much more secure there than the ladder plus you can keep your eye on them.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Don't waste your money! There is entirely too much movement of the ladder when the bikes are hanging on it. We thought we were secure when we left home when we arrived at our destination two bungee's were broken and one ratchet strap was missing entirely. I don't want to be responsible for causing the accident so a hitch is being installed on our frame and we will travel safely in the future.

palebluedot

Thanks for all the great info. From your replies I think it's safe to rule out any ladder mounting schemes. We have the Trailair pinbox so don't know if the pin mount will work. The Bighorn has the electric rear stabilizers which is mounted to the very rear of the frame. This makes mounting a hitch receiver a problem. A receiver on the truck front bumper is a possibility but would be my last choice. Maybe I can rig up something in the truck bed (long) but that would take up all my cargo space and I would have to be careful making turns.

jbeletti

pbd,

Contact TerryH on this forum to get some details on his pinbox receiver for a standard bike rack. He did a real nice, real simple job and he's transferred it easily to his second Heartland.

Jim

airedale

geeksrus.......tnks for the web site ......just sent it on to one of the bike shops in town.....that is a nice looking unit........cheers

boatdoc

Thanks for all the great info. From your replies I think it's safe to rule out any ladder mounting schemes. We have the Trailair pinbox so don't know if the pin mount will work. The Bighorn has the electric rear stabilizers which is mounted to the very rear of the frame. This makes mounting a hitch receiver a problem. A receiver on the truck front bumper is a possibility but would be my last choice. Maybe I can rig up something in the truck bed (long) but that would take up all my cargo space and I would have to be careful making turns.

Bill, Putting the hitch reciever on the rear was apiece of cake!!! The rear jacks don't come into play at all. I just pulled the underbelly cover down a bit in the back, got some 3" square tubing cut to the width between the frame, some 2" square for the reciever, some 3/18 plate stock for some gussets and $50.00 to a welder freind of mine and it was done. Took us all of 2 hours tops. It's not designed to pull a boat or car but to hold bikes it WAY more than enough.
SHH SHH Don't tell Heartland!!!!!

SilverRhino

Saw a bike rack this summer at a campground that was very similar to the one that Terry built......this one was commercially made......and allowed you to lower the bikes almost to the ground for loading and unloading.

Wrote the company name down somewhere.......of course I have not been able to find it! Has anyone seen a rack like that??? If so.....who manufactures it??

2010augusta

Here is one on a Air hitch I found on-line here. If your handy you could make one too, if not you could if a good metal shop to fab one up.
131471904.jpg

130970572.jpg

geeksrus

Saw a bike rack this summer at a campground that was very similar to the one that Terry built......this one was commercially made......and allowed you to lower the bikes almost to the ground for loading and unloading.

Wrote the company name down somewhere.......of course I have not been able to find it! Has anyone seen a rack like that??? If so.....who manufactures it??

See my comments above........

Eh!

aatauses

Try yakima on top of tv

We also had the same delema, and decided to look at something for the tv. We put yakima on the roof of the tv and they work great. We use them when towing and then nothing to change when we decide to go for a ride after our arrival. Just put them on top and go
al