Recommendation for generator in 2011 big horn 3410re

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
I am sure you will get bucket loads of info, so I will tell you what we have. We had an onan/cummins 5500 gold, propane fired unit installed in the front compartment of our 3580rl. It runs the entire unit with ease, and uses about 2-4 lbs of propane per hour under full load. We are completely satisfied, and have had no problems. we did purchase two extra 30lb lp tanks and mounted them in our truck bed. Hope ya find what you like, listen to every one elses comments, then use some common sense and pick the best unit for your needs. God Bless ya, Al W

DMitch

What yondering said, I have the same Onan in my unit. No cords to play with, no lugging portable unit and don't have to worry about gas cans. Very happy with the Onan 5500 gold from the factory, works well for us.

All the best,

porthole

Retired
We have a Cyclone and the Onan 5500. Very pleased with the overall result. And as others will/have said - no lugging portable units and gas cans around.

With the Cyclone though, I have the advantage of using the on board fuel tank (25-28 gallons) to run the genset on gasoline.

Having it available all the time means you will use it during times that it didn't feel like carrying the extra unit around.

jbeletti

Another vote for the Onan 5500 Gold, be it LP or gasoline. I used an LP unit for 2 seasons and while I missed the space it took up, the trade off was worth it. We loved having AC power whenever we "wanted/needed" it.

Jim

airedale

it would be very helpful if it was gen prepared when you bought it.....i agree with most others on the onan 5500.......one thing, i would like another opinion regarding gas and lp........i had a 5500 gas in my cyclone and now a 5500 lp in my 3055.....i seem to find the lp both smoother and less noisy.......anyone else out there.....?

lwmcguir

The only disadvantage of and LP is the fuel burn and refilling the tanks. They will last longer and run cleaner although the exhaust has a bit unusual odor in my opinion. Not sure why they might be quieter but the old Kohler Power Plant at my Grandpas ranch lasted nearly 40 years. It was a 12 volt generator, that backed up the wind generator. Lead acid batteries for storage. That was his power for the house nearly all his life.