New stabilizing system

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
A friend of mine just bought another brand of fifth wheel that has a new electric leveling system on it.

The trailer has a Lippert frame with four jacks that look like the hudraulic jacks used on the Level Up system, but are electric. He told me that they level back to front and side to side and can be operated separately for uneven ground.

The jacks are also equipped from the factory with JT Stabilizers which would seem to be unnecessary with leveling jacks.

I hope something like this could be adapted by Heartland as a lower cost leveling system to the Level Up system.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jay...we've found that even with the Level Up, we still needed a stabilization system to stop the front to back and side to side movement when walking thru the Bighorn. We used to have the JT's, however, with the hydraulic front legs of the Level-Up they would not work on the feet...no drop pins. We went with the Steadyfast this time. Had the bolts welded directly to the feet and we're rock solid again...this time however, we only have 3 handles to lock instead of the 6 with the JT's.

Oh, and the whole set only cost $255...:D

jayc

The brand of the trailer is Open Range, Residential model. It's a new company and appears to have a Lippert frame. The leveling system uses four jacks to level the trailer.

Kathy, I'm sorry you had to buy the Steadyfast system because I know someone that has a set of JT's that he got at the rally in Houston that he might be willing to sell.

Tom of Ypsi

Kathy,
As you know we also have the level up system and we have no movement at all except when the washer/dryer is running and that is no where near as bad as before. We have the knock off JT's that go along for the ride and I never tighen them when parked. Just wondering if there might be something wrong wih the way your level up was installed or your front jacks are the difference.

jayc

Duane,
The set of JT's was a joke with Kathy about a set that they gave away for free at the October Houston rally. The person that they gave them to told several people that he had a set that he would sell at a good price because he got them for free from Ken and Kathy. I don't think he really wants to sell them.

jimtoo

Hey Jay,,, why don't you put the winner's name up and maybe a couple hundred members could email them and ask if they want to sell the JT's they won.:D...that would create something. :D

Jim M

kakampers

Kathy,
As you know we also have the level up system and we have no movement at all except when the washer/dryer is running and that is no where near as bad as before. We have the knock off JT's that go along for the ride and I never tighen them when parked. Just wondering if there might be something wrong wih the way your level up was installed or your front jacks are the difference.

Tom...everything is installed properly...remember, they had to remove my front landing gear and installed the large round cylinder legs that are used on the Mobile Suite. I don't have drop pins or bolts at the bottom on which to install JT's....believe me, if you didn't have the JT's on the front you'd be feeling movement. That's why we installed Steadyfast...works similarly to JT's...just attaches differently and works on our front legs.

Delaine and Lindy

Hydraulic Level Up ...

Not familiar with the Open Range but have begin to see them and don't know anything about the electric jack leveling system. After owning the Hydraulic level up system don't think I would want the electric system just my opinion. We have the Hydraulic level up system and this is our second level up system and we have very little movement and we use no other stabilizer system. I don't recomend any of the stabilizer systems, its basically impossible to take all movement out of a 5th wheel unless you use the concrete block and shim system as used under Mobile Homes. I do believe the heavier frame and the heavier the 5th wheel is the movement is less, our frame is 15" boxed and the MS is very heavy. We do lower the jacks a little more to take the weight off the Center point suspension system (air bag) springs and tires. I do highly recomend the Hydraulic level up system. GBY.....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Tom...everything is installed properly...remember, they had to remove my front landing gear and installed the large round cylinder legs that are used on the Mobile Suite. I don't have drop pins or bolts at the bottom on which to install JT's....believe me, if you didn't have the JT's on the front you'd be feeling movement. That's why we installed Steadyfast...works similarly to JT's...just attaches differently and works on our front legs.

Ken and Kathy,
It has got to be the Mobile Suite landing gear doesn't like being put on the superior Heartland product:D:D:D:D:D

kakampers

Jim...I think you're right! That's probably why I could see the Mobile Suite front leg inner cylinder actually move inside the outer tube...just had to stand up front and push on the side of the Bighorn...strange it didn't do that on it's original Heartland legs???;)

That is of course, until I added the Steadyfast stabilizer...now you can push all you want and there is no movement in the Mobile Suite landing gear...:D Thanks Steadyfast!!!

jayc

I realize that the hydraulic leveling system is the best, I just noticed this electric leveler that would be much less expensive for OEM or an upgrade. Perhaps this could be an alternative for the trailers with the smaller size frames to prevent twisting the frame.

Mariposa

Jay

Just got back from looking at a new Landmark.(Ron Hoover, Houston) There were 4 Hydraulic jacks, two as landing gear, two just behind the rear axle, and two electric jacks at the rear of the unit. That could be 6 jacks on the ground. and a auto level system. That should steady things up, a bit.
Bob

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just got back from looking at a new Landmark.(Ron Hoover, Houston) There were 4 Hydraulic jacks, two as landing gear, two just behind the rear axle, and two electric jacks at the rear of the unit. That could be 6 jacks on the ground. and a auto level system. That should steady things up, a bit.
Bob

Nice...when r u picking it up?:D

osims

bsims
Tom
On there web site they have a Grand Canyon and a Agusta with pictures and info. Looks pretty nice.
Bill

kakampers

Bob

I've got 6 hydraulic legs AND the rear electric jacks...for a total of 8 jacks on the ground, and I still needed to stabilize. It looks to me, from what I've seen, that the new front landing gear are what I have....so, I guess we'll have to see...:confused: