New problem with LP system

landp

Last night my wife noticed there was a LP smell coming from the trailer. I went out side to see if the tank was leaking. The port side tank was empty so I didnt worry about it. Well I tested the tank and found nothing, No bubbles from the soappy water. Well today I smelled the odor and start inspecting all the joints and connections. I found out the port side regulator had a leak and I do mean the regulator. There is a small hole where the gas is escaping. The hole is part of the regulator so its there for a reason. so I am thinking I need a new regulator, are there special one for trailers? Is this really a symptom and I need to look for a bigger problem?

lwmcguir

They have a diaphragm in the regulator that can fail. Normally not very often. As long as the capacity/through put is the same there is no difference in the regulators other than the pipe thread connection. In my opinion this only means you got a faulty regulator that shouldn't have failed for many years or never for that matter.

landp

Other question, The LP tank switch. The one that shows either red or green. With that switch shouldnt I be able to turn off the port side tanks? What do the colors mean?

lwmcguir

The green indicates that there is sufficient LP in the tank to create enough pressure to raise the indicator. It will fall and close off when the tank is empty. You should be able to change the directional valve to either tank. If you get air in the lines from leaving an empty tank connected and valved in, it takes a bit to purge the system. That also may indicate there was a small leak (connection may not have completely sealed) that allowed the air to enter when the LP tank cooled and pulled a vacuum. Good luck. I would check all the fittings with soapy water when you have both tanks filled/full and turned.

charlie51

I think my regulator is bad as well. I had to get up at 2:00 in the morning a couple of weeks ago because it was freezing cold in the trailer. The tank was empty and showing the red in the little round window deal. I flipped the switch over to the full tank but nothing. The window still showed like it was empty. I had to end up taking the tanks off and putting the full on the side where the empty one was. turned the tank on and it went to green. I messed with it again in the daylight when it was warm, and apparently the left side hook up just doesn't work. I don't know if it is something in the line where it goes from the tank to the regulator or if its the regulator. Good Luck

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Had the same thing happen to me. I changed out the regulator and supply hose (hose from the regulator to the tank) and it works fine now.

R.Pratt

i had the same thing on a 2010 3850, left tank was empty and right would not switch over, called camping world here in dothan and they got me a new switching unit and i have yet to take it in to get it replaced but the 2am questioning why it is cold is why i have a plug in heater with thermostat and an electric blanket now

wdk450

Propane Leak Testing

For definitive propane leak testing (this will tell you IF there is a leak, not WHERE it is), this is my method. I connect one of those tank gauges that tell you (somewhat) how much propane you have left to the supply tank in use and reconnect the hose to the regulator to that. All propane appliances should be turned OFF. Turn ON the supply tank valve, and the gauge needle will go up. Then turn OFF the supply tank valve. Watch the gauge for about 10 minutes. If there is NOT a leak, the pressure indication will stay UP. If the gauge needle goes down, get out the bubble juice!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Don't put all your "faith" in that red/green indicator, either. It may remain green even after BOTH tanks are empty and the temperature is dropping. Usually happens late in the evening on a Sunday. Had that with our previous TT. With the BH, it's given me reason not to trust it, either.

airedale

bob....had the same thing happen with my cyclone......we changed the switch over unit.....no difference.......it was the connection on the off side tank that was pooched......i dont go to that dealer any more.......luck