LP Generator Maintenance and storage

2010augusta

I was wondering the other night what others do as far as maintenance and storage for their LP generators? We were having electrical issues and had to start the generator for the first time in almost 6 months and it was 20 degrees outside. We had to cycle the primer/starter three times but the generator started up and ran fine, but I don't know if we should be starting it more often just to keep the seals and bearing lubed up. Is there an issue with LP going "stale" in the engine like gasoline can? In the past year we have only used it for a grand total of 14.2 hours. I think we have to change to oil after 25 hours. is that correct?

jbeletti

Alan,

I think exercising the generator is a good idea. I not certain but I do not believe carb gumming/varnishing is an issue for an LP gen.

Yes on the oil change interval.

I always hit the prime 3 times before starting my gen - worked fine that way.

Jim

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have a 20KW LP generator hardwired into my house. It runs once a week for 15 minutes - 52 weeks a year - not counting actual power outages. I change the oil annually and do a tune-up biannually, which is the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

2010augusta

Another question then...

With a properly working transfer relay do I have to turn off the shore power when I start the generator, or can I run the generator and leave the shore power on with out damaging anything?

Northern Virginia
The Progressive Dynamics transfer switch is an interlock switch (all transfer switches are). Because of the interlock design of the contactors, it can only select one power source to send to the coach at a time. If you are plugged into shore power and turn on the genset, the transfer switch will switch to generator power a few seconds after you start it. When the transfer switch no longer "sees" generator power, it will switch back to shore power.

John

jbeletti

I just posted Specifications and Operating Manuals for the Onan 5500 LP Generator on HOM (Heartland Owners Manuals).

Manuals are on HOM now for Progressive Dynamics products, including the Tranfer Switch.

Newbie - thanks for the answer on the AC power. That was my assumption but while I was downloading the Onan manuals and putting them on HOM, you saved me from making an.... Oh nevermind :eek:

If anyone knows the size/model gen we use ini Cyclone - I can grab those manuals and put them on HOM too. I assume (there I go again) that it's a 5500 Gas model.

Jim

On Edit: The docs I put on HOM for the 5500 watt Onan Generator are good for both the Gasoline and LP powered units. If anyone has a different size Onan unit from Heartland, let me know what it is and I will add the manual to HOM.

2010augusta

Thanks all;

That is just the info I was looking for, I'll start exercising the generator at least twice a month. and won't have to worry about shutting down the shore power.

Alan

Northern Virginia
One more consideration. It is supposed to be very hard on the generator and generator control board to shut the genset down under load. I make it a habit to throw the main breaker and let the generator cool down without a load for a minute or two (longer in the hot summer) Then I kill the generator and close the main breaker to restore power.

The most important thing is to never shut the genset down under load.

John

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Too, newbie, our genset advises to never start the genset under load. Even with the transfer switch, I always open the main breaker untill the genset gets up to operating temp ( about 10 min run time ). We excercise our onan 5500 about 30-45 minutes every other week. Have a Blessed day, Al W

2010augusta

Now are y'all talking about the main breakers inside the trailer or the two main breakers on the generator? I would not like to reset all the clock/DVR/modem ect every time we start and stop the generator.

Northern Virginia
Yea, the main breaker inside. When the transfer switch switches, your gonna lose power for a second during the switch.

You also want to run the generator on a load (1/2 to full load) too. I would think once a month for 15 minutes on 1/2 load would be a sufficient exercise. I don't think there is a way around resetting all the clocks.

John

jbeletti

I think the manual mentioned removing heavy loads. Maybe if the air conditioners and TVs were off when you cut back over to shore power - that's enough to allow the gen to cool down / wind down or whatever it does?

Jim

thomasinnv

the transfer switch i have installed in my unit has a 30 second delay for startup, it will not allow power to be switched to the generator for 30 seconds, allowing the generator to stabilize and get up to speed before any load is applied. as far as shut down, i just make sure there are no heavy loads running. phantom loads such as clocks, tv's etc are not enough to do any damage during shut down. and yes, you will have to reset the clocks.

truknutt

Committed Member
The Progressive Dynamics transfer switch is an interlock switch (all transfer switches are). Because of the interlock design of the contactors, it can only select one power source to send to the coach at a time. If you are plugged into shore power and turn on the genset, the transfer switch will switch to generator power a few seconds after you start it. When the transfer switch no longer "sees" generator power, it will switch back to shore power.

John

Ahhhh, so this is opposite of my HOME's backup system; when its transfer switch sees both commercial & generator power it opts for commercial (if power parameters are met). Thanks for the info on shutting the genset down when also hooked to shore power. I try to remember to run the set once or twice a month for 10 min at a time so will shut off main breaker from now on.

2010augusta

well I have an update: I was exercising the generator today and wanted to see just how a couple "basic" items would react to the power change over.

I unplugged the Microwave and turned off the TV, Surround sound system. I left on the 110 volt track lights and the clocks.

When I started up the generator it ran for close to a minute before the auto-transfer switch clicked over, When it did the lights did not even flicker and the clock were all still on time.

I ran it for around 10 minutes and the hit the stop-switch, the auto-transfer was much slower to detect the slow drop on power as the generator slowed down. the DVR did shut down, but the clock stayed on time