Garmin Nuvi 465t... Sorta Long..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I went out and did it.. Got me a new Garmin 465t.

I have been using a Garmin Street Pilot 2610. I really liked this GPS. It was not a fancy 3D unit and it did not speak the street names and waypoints. I did not want to change units but Garmin stopped making maps for the 2610. So the 2009 map software is the last. The software has a lot of glitches that will surprise you upon occasions. I am going to compare the differences between the 2610 and the 465t as best I can.

I am hoping to get information about the 465t from some of you that have it. Give information to those that are thinking about it. I am not comparing these units to others except the 2610 that I am familiar with. They are all good and it just depends on what your looking for in a GPS.

I bought my 465t from the FactoryOutletStore.com. When I went to register the unit they sent me it hosed up the OS and I had to send it back. They sent me another new one. The people I spoke with were very knowledgeable and courteous.

When I registered the second unit the registration went without any problems.

I also purchased the lifetime update for the map used for the 465t. It uses two map systems.
City Navigator North America NT 2010.10-Truck, Deluxe All Regions
-----------------------------------------------------------
National Truck & Trailer Services-US

These are both on the 465t and can be downloaded for updates to the unit. What found out is that the online system is not yet setup to download the North American NT 2010 for this system yet, so they are sending me a CD. The National Truck &Trailer Services-US is not available to download either. What this means is that I can not setup a truck route on my laptop at this time. I can set it up on the unit and download it to the laptop, make modifications then upload it back to the unit. Not how I want to setup my routing when pulling the Bighorn.

I have found that I really don't care for the 3D view. I like the Track Up and North Up. On my 2610 and on the 465t I use the Trackup to follow the routes and the North Up when I am trying to make sure I am going in the correct direction.

I like the 2610 that gave me the street addresses of the street I am driving. The 465t does not give you the street address just the street your on. I like the 2610 that listed the next street as they came up.

I am not use to the Traffic monitor yet to give any opinion.

I did setup and use the Trucker section and it does advise me of streets that are not suppose to be use by Semi's and Pole Trucks. I have a lot of experiments to do before I leave for Kerrville on Feb. 8th.

I will update this thread as I find things out about the 465t.

I also look forward to tips and thoughts of those using or thinking about using the 465t.

BC

osims

bsims
Bob
Keep us posted on how your doing with the 465t. I have been looking at them and reading what i can find. I want to upgrade from what i have now and that seems to be the unit to buy. Did they tell you when downloads would be available. Hope you and Pat are having a good winter, it's colder than normal here so we haven't been going much.
Bill

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Bill.
Glad to hear from you. Hope Ornell and the Devil Dog are well.. It is cold here in Melissa. Been down to 21* last night. Oh well we will get through it.

I talked to a lady named Joyce at Garmin. She was very helpful. However they told her it would be a while before the software was available for download to a computer.

I like the 465t. I can carry it in my pocket. It uses a built in battery if you want to use it to walk around with. It also has the altitude in it, something I wanted that the 2610 did not do.

BC

CrazyScotsman

Bob.. I have been using the 465T about 2 months, It is a really good GPS, alot better than that $600 piece of junk Worldnav that I bought. Which is laying in the back of the truck, so if anyone wants to get lost in one easy lesson I will sell you my 7" screen Worldnav... REAL CHEAP

;0

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Caution when Updating the Firmware on 46t

CAUTION !!!!!
I went to the Dashboard on Garmin Website and updated my software. I have the lifetime update license on the 465t maps. I updated the trucker software then went to the Dashboard and it indicated that I had a software update. I selected it and it turned out to be a firmware update. I had read on the Garmin Forum about some having this problem on the 855's. When you update your Nuvi firmware it trashes the system and will not turn on any longer. Well that happen to me this evening.

DO NOT UPDATE ANY Nuvi FIRMWARE BEFORE CONTACTING GARMIN.
I am very upset about this continuing problem with the Garmin GPS's.

I want my Street Pilot 2610 back.. It was bullet proof but they are not updating the maps for it.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well here is another update. It may (I will never admit it) have been a user problem. It looks like the battery had run completely down and when I connected it to the power source it did not want to start. I tried it a number of times but was use to it coming on when I plug it in. I plugged it into the AC power before going to bed and pressed the power button and held it on and Yea.. it came back on.

So it looks like it may have been user error.:confused: I really hate to admit that.

Learned something else new. If you drill down to do something and you can find what you want, you don't have to keep hitting Back Back Back to get to the main menu. Just hold the Back button down and it will take you to the main menu screen.

BC

jgallego

Just bought a Garmin Nuvi 465T. Works great. My telenav shotgun which I had been using broke at the power connection. I like the Garmin a lot better especially since it also show the speed limit for the road you are on and the speed you are driving.

Jaime