Water pressure question

2010augusta

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, ect and buy a regulator for a home and get 3/4 NPT to 1/2 NPT or 3/4 to Garden hose adapters and save your self some money. it is real easy.

Attachments

• Pressure Regulator.JPG
    Pressure Regulator.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 100

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree about the RV Water Filter Store. The one I use is the Watts 236A. I also suggest that you get a set of 1/2" water hoses. I bought 2 - 4ft ones, 1 - 36ft and a 15 foot. Never had a problem making a water connection. It seems that in some places set the water supply just out of the reach of a 25ft hose that everyone seems to buy. Also the hoses are non kink. I use their 90* quick connect also so I do not wear out the plastic hose connection in the UDC.

Kwik Link Connect System - 90 degree
Attachs to your RV's water inlet for faster hook-up and a leak-free connection. New design high impact copolymer body with stainless steel male fitting, they come with a Parker female coupler, a dummy plug to protect hose end, and a dust cover.

I would also go to Lowes and get two Water filters and water hose connection then a charcoal and white water filter. I use the Westinghouse canisters.

This is what I do.....

BC

thomasinnv

all good suggestions. any of them will do you fine. just stay away from the cheapo rv type regulators. they are prone to failure, and they do quite often.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I went with the Watts N55B regulator for maximum flow rate. It will regulate the pressure just as well as the 263A model, but will allow a higher flow per minute. This is my filter set up. For next season, though, I've moved the regulator to the output side of the filters. The small screen inside was getting crudded up from the CG supply, so I'll let the sediment filter (clear canister) handle it before it gets there.

caissiel

I have been camping for the last 16 years and got a regulator for each of the 3 trailers I owned, have all 3 still and they are used all the time on the end of different lenght hoses. No failures so far.

aatauses

I also bought a watts 263, but had a few issues with it. It would not keep a steady pressure, set it for 47psi and in an hour or so it would be up to 55psi?? I contacted the rvfilterstore and they were really helpful with directions to clean it?? I was somewhat frustrated since it was brand new, so they offered me to send it back and they would clean it and return, but that seemed like quite a hassel, so took their instructions, took it apart, cleaned it with white vinegar and it has been working great.
al

caissiel

When I was working at the mill we installed a hot water heater on the high pressure potable water so we installed a Watts or similar industrial pressure reducer set at 40PSI to protect the heater. The water was hardly used and the pressure kept climbing to 100 PSI for no reason and we could not control at 40 PSI so the relief kept blowing off overnight. The instrument technition being an RVer, told me to install an RV Pressure reducer and the problem was solved.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Fyi to all, if you read the Heartland manual you will see the max PSI u should maintain is 65 PSI. I am interested in a water pressure reducer that will set it at that flow, but also will not restrict too much water, and flow as freely as possible. Anyone know one that fits that bill? If you follow Heartland's guidelines per manual, why should u have any less if the system can take that pressure? If you also add the wrapncoil shower head with the vinturi system, it aerates the shower head no matter the low PSI to get the hair conditioner out of your hair. The shower head is also sold at CW and other RV stores. Again someone find me a strong flow adjustable restrictor at 65 PSI and I will be a happy camper. Jim B once told me to watch out to make sure the water restrictor still flows hard and fast at what ever setting you use.

JohnDar

The Watts regulators, both the 263A and N55B, are adjustable. They come from the factory preset to 50 psi, but you can crank them higher, if you wish. The difference between adjustable regulators is how many gpm they can flow while still maintaining pressure control. The N55B had the highest flow rating of the ones available at the RV Water
Filter Store, which is why I bought it. Over the summer, at our campground, I never saw the incoming pressure reading go much over the low-mid 40's with the CG only aboutr 25% full, so adjusting it higher would have no effect. I don't have any experience or information on the ones available from Home Depot or Lowes.

Larryheadhunter

hi john,
which is better 263A and N55B for my purposes which are I have 2 water filters, sediment and charcoal, bought from the water filter store, but are they different in any way? Which has higher gpm?

boatdoc

Larry, Go for the N55B. If you get the N55BU it has a union fitting to make things a little easier to adapt. Google em & check them out!
Your Bud ,Gary

JohnDar

hi john,
which is better 263A and N55B for my purposes which are I have 2 water filters, sediment and charcoal, bought from the water filter store, but are they different in any way? Which has higher gpm?

The N55B has the highest gpm flow of the ones they show. Mine is actually the N55BG, since it came with the gage on it. Sounds like we have identical filtration systems, too.

Larryheadhunter

So Gary, and John which one should I buy, the N55BU for the union fitting, or the N55BG that comes with a gage on it? I am sure the water filter store has both. I plan to use quick disconnects for most fittings, but to hook up to the water bib, sounds like an easy chore, although John makes a great point of hooking it up between the filters and the rig. When u say gage, does that mean the N55BU has no gage, or is that a given. That sounds to me like I wouldn't know what the actual PSI of the campground, so am I correct that I am leaning to the N55BG because of the gage model. I also may want to have a dual connector to the bib, for the sani flush as well as the white water. And finally, the quick connects I had originally bought from the Water filter store started leaking, but I kind of like Bob's idea of the Kwik Link Connect System - 90 degree as well. Finally where do I buy all these different regulators and quick disconnects? Thanks for everyone's input. I am an open book, so whatever works good, is fine by me. I wonder if there is a model with a union and a gage? Best of both worlds.

After looking at the Water filter store web site, there is no Watts N55BU, but the Watts Brass N55B is Watts Brass Model N55BG Adjustable Regulator, 1.5" dia-meter 0-160 gauge, 6-9 gpm $64.95 looks like the best deal for the money. Gary, your take since there is no Union model available and for the super duper enchilada it's Stainless Steel Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, 2 1/2" diameter w/oil filled stainless gauge. External and internal parts are all stainless except for fittings. $179.95 seems a little overkill for me, unless u are buying it for me as a wonderful Hanukkah gift. LOL Below is all the choices of Watts which I wish I was computer literate enough to put these in a smaller pkg to see:

<table bordercolorlight="#808080" bordercolordark="#808080" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 1391px; height: 1715px;" border="1" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="7"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="25%" height="76"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="76">Watts Brass Model 263A Adjustable Regulator, 10-65 range, 4-4.5 gpm</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="76">$54.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="76">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="25%" height="95"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="95">Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator,
2" diameter 0-160 gauge, 4-4.5 gpm</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="95">$59.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="95">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="25%" height="95"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="95">Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, but with stainless steel parts kit listed below installed, 2" diameter 0-160 gauge, 4-4.5 gpm</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="95">$69.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="95">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="25%" height="95"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="95">Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, but with 2 1/2" diameter stainless steel oil filled 0-160 gauge, 4-4.5 gpm</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="95">$69.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="95">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="25%" height="95"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="95">Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, but with 2 1/2" diameter
stainless steel oil filled 0-160 gauge with stainless steel parts kit listed below installed, 4-4.5 gpm</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="95">$79.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="95">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table bordercolorlight="#808080" bordercolordark="#808080" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="7" width="100%" height="1781"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="25%" height="95"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="95">Stainless Steel Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, 2 1/2" diameter w/oil filled stainless gauge. External and internal parts are all stainless except for fittings.</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="95">$179.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="95">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="25%" height="87"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="87">Watts Brass Model N55B Adjustable Regulator, 25-65 range, 6-9 gpm </td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="87">$59.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="87">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="25%" height="95"> </td> <td align="left" width="36%" height="95">Watts Brass Model N55BG Adjustable Regulator, 1.5" dia-meter 0-160 gauge, 6-9 gpm</td> <td align="center" width="18%" height="95">$64.95</td> <td align="center" width="21%" height="95">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

jbeletti

Larry,

A tip on the Kwik-Link system - get the 105* model versus the 90* model. That 15* extra makes it easier to connect to. Used mine for about 4 years. Loved it.

Jim

JohnDar

Larry,

I also don't find a N55BU listed. It could have been a typo. But as you see, the N55BG comes with the gage, the N55B does not. I like having the gage. As for the Kwik-Link, I didn't see that one when I was setting up my system, but since I've built a distribution manifold for my UDC, I really don't need one. One connection to the manifold and I've got city water, black flush, and utility ready to go. You can put a gated wye connector at the pedestal, if you wish, to run a separate hose for washing your rig, or doing the tank flush, upstream of the filters. I put one on my pedestal for washing the rig. I could put one on my filter box, just ahead of the filters and run a separate line for the black tank flush to get a little more flow and bypass the filters. Might do that just for grins, but it puts a second hose into the UDC. No problem cutting another foam gasket to fill the opening into the UDC to accommodate it, though. With the gage on the filter system, I could watch it for any sudden flucuation in the line pressure if I was running the flush that way.
This photo is my manifold, an idea I picked up from somebody else on this forum.