Slide Problems

We brought our brand new Heartland Landmark Oakmont 2010 5th wheel yesterday - went through the unit completely for a 2nd time with the dealer, all went well, got it home and can only get 4 of the 5 slides OUT and 3 of the 4 that ARE OUT won't come back in. Anyone have any similar issues and what was the cause??? We traded in a motor home so we are learning new things each step of the way, but SO LOVE the unit!

Thanks,
Patti & Doug:confused:

jimtoo

Hi DotysOakmont,

First, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help.

Really sorry to hear your having a problem like that. I'm not sure of the setup on the Landmark slide system, but most likely it is something minor. I am moving the post to an open area of the forum so some Landmark owners can reply to you sooner and get you going or some things to check.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

2010augusta

Patti and Doug, Welcome to the Heartland family.

We have had slides "stick" on occasion, particularly when it was new. I was able to get things to work by "bumping" or "rocking" the slide. If a slide is stuck in, try hitting the retract button for a moment then extending it again and it might free up. If a slide is out, then hit the extend it for a moment and then retract it. I think it might be air bubbles that have to cycle through the system. Ours has not done that for several months now, so I think that problem goes away with more use of the slides.

talley

We have a 2006 Bighorn 3655RD which has the den/livingroom closed off by the sliding doors, simular to the Oakmont. Wish I had one, really like the floorplan and know you will enjoy it. Don't know what problem might stem from other than the hydrolic fluid level or the position of the valves; would assume that you have checked those. Any indication of fluid leaks??

Good luck and enjoy that fine unit!!

ps- Just a thought, would it help to cut off all but one slide and run it in and out a couple of times and then rotate to each slide in turn?

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The first thing you will need to check is the hydraulic fluid level. The reservoir should be in the front basement. It should be about 1 inch from the top with the slides in and the legs up. The next thing to check is be sure the isolation (if you have them) for the individual slides are all the way open. These valves should be close to the reservoir. BTW if you have to add fluid you should use Mercron V transmission fluid. If I were you I would also check with the dealer to see if they recommend anything. Also if you can get the slide about halfway in or out look on the inside under the slide to be sure nothing is stuck under it such as a rag, screw, carpet, board or anything else. Good luck. BTW when all else fails call Heartland customer service and have your VIN ready.

lwmcguir

Landmarks should have individual slide switches as mentioned in the earlier post. Can you hear the hydraulic pump running? I would go out and open the compartment to be sure you aren't pumping hydraulic fluid out somewhere. Check for leaks under each one of the slides as well. If they are individual slide controls as I think they are and you are having this many give you problems the air noted earlier could be a problem. You should hear the hydraulic motor/pump load up if it is trying to close or open. The sound should change from normal to loaded as the slide position changes from open to closed or vice versa. Be sure to post the resolution as this sounds very odd.

lwmcguir

A note of caution as well regarding hydraulic systems. Don't check for leaky fittings with your hands as hydraulic fluid at 3500 psig can enter you skin. This can be deadly as many mechanics and technicians have found out. Wear safety glasses as well when checking the hydraulic unit in case you do have a leak. It will be under high pressure if the pump gets started or is running.

jbeletti

Patti and Doug,

What about the shallow slide in the bedroom with the cabinets and TV - will it operate okay? It's electric I believe. If it will operate, I am guessing your battery may be discharged.

Jim

WOW, thank you for all the prompt responses! We've investigated some of the suggestions as we had a HR motor home prior to this unit, but thank everyone for their insight and suggestions. The dealership tech should be here this morning - I'll post what the actual cause is after we know. Thanks again!

The dealership sent out a tech this morning, low and behold there are 4 reset switches, 2 are autorest and 2 ARE MANUAL - so we learned where these we! Leo's RV in Crofton MD has got our vote BIG TIME!

jbeletti

That's an awesome level of service from your dealer.

Did they say why the breakers tripped? My guess is still a low battery. Hopefully it's charged very well now and won't happen again. If it does, at least you know where the breakers are.

Not sure why there are breakers on the hydraulic slide rooms though.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO the reset breakers should have been pointed out to you during the PSI. At least you know where they are now. Are these the breakers that are in the battery compartment?