Rear Receiver Hitch

JoelC

We have been looking at the Landmark and were wondering if the frame in the rear is strong enough to attach a rear receiver and if so what the tow rating would be that the 5er could handle. We would be purchasing the unit for full timing and might want to tow a car if possible or put a cart on the rear.

Hopefully, our dream will come true next year, if we sell our home in PA. )8" of white stuff now)

jimtoo

Hi JoelC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Owners Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help.

Heartland does not recommend installing a rear receiver hitch on the units. Although a lot of people do it with out any problems. You will get some good answers here from other Landmark owners.

I moved the thread to the Landmark frame area.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I had my dealer add a receiver hitch to my Landmark, but I only wanted to carry our bicycles back there so my experience isn't too much help. Dealer said the hitch is rated for 200 pounds, but with only two bikes on it (even with the "bouncing" you get driving down the road) we don't come close to the 200 # limit.

Keith

rick_debbie_gallant

Just one caveat: Dont forget about the "leverage" effect your hitch receiver will encounter when the bikes are loaded on the bike carrier. for every inch you are extended past the receiver the weight and stress on the receiver will increase by a factor of ? number of pounds. I ain't no engineer but I know I can lift a small car on with a 6x6 chunk of wood and a stone as a pivot point. Same principle. (I think)

lwmcguir

Great point as to the leverage. It does take some weight off the pin but adds to the suspension of the coach. I wouldn't add any hitch to less than a 12 inch frame. Most of the folks pulling Cars have heavier weight frames. I really don't think you could go wrong with a properly mounted bicycle rack mounted from the frame. Changing to the upgraded recliners would add more weight to the rear of most coach's. Any and all changes made to the cargo or frame will have consequences as you point out and should be factored in.

JoelC

One of the reasons I am inquiring about a receiver is that on my current 5er, the bumper does not appear to be directly attached to the frame. This would be very risky for any weight, although I was assured that it could carry bikes. I do have a "bolt on" reciever to the bumper that my bike carrier is attached to. I would feel more comfortable if a receiver can be actually welded to the frame so there would be no chance of bolts loosening up on the bumper. I should have been more clear. So, can the receiver be welded to the frame as an auto for security, or would I have to resort to the same situation I have with my Durango?

2010augusta

I believe that a hitch CAN be welded to the frame, but as Jimtoo stated neither Heartland nor Lippert endorse the addition of a hitch to the frame, either bolted or welded. Lippert has stated that the addition of a hitch is a modification and could be a cause to void their warranty.

We fulltime too, but my DW drive the Jeep and follows me as I tow the Landmark. It does cost us more since we have to fill up two vehicles for all our trips, but it add safety, as she can warn me if anything is going wrong with the trailer like a tire going down or a burned out lamp.

Cyncwby

As Augusta said.......I called Lippert factory and was told in no uncertain terms that if there was "ANY MODIFICATION" to the frame/chassis i.e. gooseneck hitch, bike rack mounts, rear receiver hitch etc. that those modifications could and most likely would void any warranty claims......whether those modifications had anything to do with the warranty claim or not.

Heartland, Lippert and the dealers really need to get on the same page in regards to this subject as dealers are obviously installing parts that could possibly void the owners warranty.

Delaine and Lindy

Rear Hitch.....

When we ordered the 2010 we had a option for a rear 2" Class 3 receiver hitch. And the frame was done by Lippert (15" frame). We do double tow a Chevy HHR. I did take it to a Professional welding shop and had two more gussets (1/2" steel plates) added to the receiver. I recomend going to a professional welding shop and get their opinion before adding a receiver. Don't know about the warranty??? But the first year passes very fast. I don't know anyone with a Heartland 5er who has a rear hitch. But I know several who have a receiver to carry thier bicycle's. And they have a 10" frame. But I think most have a 1 1/4" from the factory. And HeartLand does have a 12" from on their heavier 5th wheels. Good Luck on your research. GBY.....

P.S. I don't recomend anyone double tow unless they have had training and or experience in towing double and triples.

caissiel

I was reading an SOB info guide and it list a rear receiver as an option. I am sure Lippert has a solution for the frame setup, might be best to contact them.

aatauses

If you are only concerned about carrying bikes, consider putting them on your TV rather than your RV. We currently have yakima's on our TV and they work really great.
al

caissiel

Lippet bolts on under carriers, spare Tire carriers, everyone adds a hole in the H frame, and every hole on the underbelly weakens the frame specialy close to the springs. I am an engineer, and adding a few holes at the back of the trailer sure would not affect the frame structure as much as the holes for the underbelly sheet. There was burned in hole 2" dia at the center of the Pin frame of my previous trailer that took 40% of the strenght and it also bent dangerously. I contacted the manufacturer with photos and they just ignored me. I ended fixing it with 200% more strenght. Its true that the frame has no designed additional strenght, its designed to the limit like transport trailers and we have to be aware of it. A few things in the back cabinet will weight more then the 2 bikes I have on the hitch I installed on the back. I have been using my bike rack for the last 16 years and still do now. Each bike is held by 2 bunggies and if its to rough they just stretch.

lwmcguir

We checked on the hitch/GN and was told by the Dealer and Lippert that any and all modifications void the warranty the day they are done. As the earlier post noted the one year warranty goes by fast anyway and if you don't get carried away I would not be concerned about adding a receiver to a 12 inch frame. I would not do it to a 10 inch frame as it is marginal at best if you are loaded to the max GVW. Regarding frame issues, most of them have been on the Toy Haulers regarding Lippert from our research end.

rick_debbie_gallant

We checked on the hitch/GN and was told by the Dealer and Lippert that any and all modifications void the warranty the day they are done. As the earlier post noted the one year warranty goes by fast anyway and if you don't get carried away I would not be concerned about adding a receiver to a 12 inch frame. I would not do it to a 10 inch frame as it is marginal at best if you are loaded to the max GVW. Regarding frame issues, most of them have been on the Toy Haulers regarding Lippert from our research end.

FWIW: We find it just as easy to store the bikes inside the rig between the two rear slides. The front tires are removed and the forks are fastened to a board with forks locks on it. It takes all of about 2 or 3 minutes to set up and secure and the bikes are out of the elements.:angel: Works for us anyway.