San Antonio trip

Ernie & Lettie

Looking at a possible trip in 2010 or 2011 to San Antonio. The two places that are my list to see is the alamo, and seaworld. I really can't find to much else to see, any suggestions. We have 4 days in San Antonio, then on the way back to tucson, we are going to stop at carlsbad caverns and spend a few days. Need some helpfull hints from people that have been in San Antonio. Thank you Ernie & Lettie

osims

bsims
The river walk is really nice, boat tour and dinner on the river is something we have enjoyed many times. The hemisphere park with the tower is pretty cool. Your also not that far from Fredericksburg or New Braunfels.
Bill

2010augusta

River Walk X3, Fredericksburg looked neat as we drove through, if going to Carlsbad, stop by and check out Guadalupe Mountains national monument and the surrounding attractions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The San Antonio Zoo and Botanical Gardens are worth the trip. Depending on where you park the rig, there may be local bus service to downtown (I recommend it). Once downtown you have Riverwalk and shuttle buses for the main attractions. All the shuttle busses are color coded and there are maps and bus routes posted everywhere. We stayed for a month at the KOA in Dec 2006. Not the greatest neighborhood but convenient for the bus and shopping (Walmart) was only about 10 minutes away.

jimtoo

There are a lot of things to do in San Antonio. I don't know where your staying, but I highly recommend the Alamo Fiesta RV park out I 10 at Boerne on the West side of SA. Easy access to downtown SA and parking. The downtown area is hard to drive around in, but you can take their trolley like buses and go everywhere, visit the Missions, Alamo, El Mercado (just like Mexico, only safe), the museum. I think you can get a day pass to ride all you want for $3 a person or something like that. Pickup a brochure at what ever park you stay at and you will find things to occupy your time for a week or two. Have fun.
Jim

Don't forget to ride the river barges, also the Governors Palace is a good visit, and the little church near the Alamo (forgot the name) but has a lot of history.

Jim M

SilverRhino

The River Walk is a must see......San Antonio Zoo is a great place to spend the day.

If you have time.....drive to Johnson City and tour the LBJ Ranch and Texas White House.....well worth the trip. Fredericksburg has some great shopping and the Pacific War Museum......the George Bush Wing just re-opened, I believe. The Texas Hill Country is very beautiful!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am sure you could spend several months in the San Antonio area and still not see everything. Just about 30 miles north of San Antonio is New Braunfels (north on I35) where you can see a wild animal park and several caverns and one of the oldest dancehalls in Texas. Then another 15 miles north on I35 is San Marcos, where there is 2 huge outlet malls, Southwest Texas University (Now called Texas State at San Marcos), Wonder World (a cave), Aquarina Springs with glass bottom boat rides. Then drive another 15 miles north to Austin and visit the Texas State Capital, LBJ Presidential Library at the University of Texas, and the Texas State Museum. Oh you were talking about San Antonio, well, lets see, how many Air Force Bases are there? (4 I think) Then of course there is the Alamo, the Alamo Dome tour, the River Walk is a must see, and how many Mexician food restaurants are there? Too many to count. How about the San Antonio Zoo. Well don't want to get too carried away. Have fun on you visit and remember once you visit Texas, you might just want to stay.:D:D:D:D

Ernie & Lettie

Thank you everybody for the info that you gave me. We don't know where we will be staying but would like to leave the truck at the site. See we are bringing our 65lb part chow /shepard mix so that will make a differance where we stay. jmgratz, was at lackland for basic. I am sure that we will find enough stuff to do in the time we have. 2010, will put that on our list.
thanx Ernie

TXBobcat

Fulltime
There are a number of great restaruants. Here is one we like.
La Margarita
120 Produce Row
San Antonio TX 78207
210-271-7140
In the Market Square in Downtown

As others have said, go to Sea World, the River Walk, the Zoo, Alamo.

We stayed at Alamo Fiesta in Boerne as Jimtoo mentioned.

BC

jbeletti

Ernie and Lettie,

If you tour the Alamo, spend the couple dollars to rent the headphones and audio player just outside the Alamo. Nancy and I toured it last February. You get a lot more out of the Alamo with the audio tour in my opinion.

Oh - they don't allow pictures inside the Alamo itself. Exterior and other grounds photography is allowed.

Hey, plan your trip this February and come to the RV.net Sweetheart rally in Kerrville February 12-14 :)

Jim

Ernie & Lettie

Jim thanx for the invite, but wife still works and feb she can't get time off. We were thinking more along the lines of maybe sept or oct 2010 or march-april 2011. Again everybody thank you for all the input for san antonio. going to be doing a lot of checking on puter .
Ernie

jgallego

Admiralty RV Park right next to Sea World is a real nice rv park. Have stayed there several times. They even have a shuttle bus to take you to Sea World.

Jaime

jimtoo

If it's in Sept,, Oct,, 2010,,,, I might be a inexpensive tour guide.:D We go to San Antonio all the time.

Jim M

Ernie & Lettie

jimtoo, have to keep that in mind, What month would you suggest. In september here in tucson we still get the rains in the afternoon, Still hot, whats it like there in sept or oct. We want to be able to have a good time. Ernie

jimtoo

Usually it is plenty warm, very little rain that time of year. You will want nothing but shorts and tees to wear and find plenty of cool places to set a spell. Unlike AZ, with 10-15% humidity,,, SA will be in the 50-70% and Corpus Christi and where I live, George West in the 70-90% range. So it will be hot. But you will be able to have a great time. Bring sun screen, sun glasses and camera.

The Alamo Fiesta RV park is West of San Antonio on the edge of Boerne, and very easy on and off I 10. (We stay there when we take RV for some reason, daughter lives in Boerne.) You almost never know your out of SA. But it is very easy to get to downtown...30 min., or you can park truck at mall on outer edge of SA and catch bus downtown. I think they have a $3 per person all day pass. Works really good... can tour all the downtown area, see all the sites, and almost never walk more than 2 - 3 blocks.

Keep us in mind.

Jim M

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I WOULD LIKE TO 2ND THIS PLACE. MARG. AND FOOD ARE BOTH GOOD!!!
There are a number of great restaurants. Here is one we like.
La Margarita
120 Produce Row
San Antonio TX 78207
210-271-7140
In the Market Square in Downtown

ALSO FREDERICKSBURG HAS LOTS OF DOWNTOWN SHOPPING. GOOD RESTAURANTS TOO. THE BEST RV PARK I HAVE BEEN TO IS IN KERRVILLE, TX., OFF I-10. BUCKHORN LAKE I THINK IS THE NAME. GREAT PLACE.

RubiconAg

Definately don't miss the Institute of Texan Cultures which is right downtown next to hemisfair park. A great history of Texas Museum. Also, someone mentioned the oldest dancehall in Texas. That would be Gruene Hall, just outside New Braunfels, spend the day in Gruene, eat lunch at the Grist Mill, shop have a cold beer down by the Guadalupe River and then see a true Texas country concert at the hall. It's an expierence that is truly Texas. Oh and I second everything else that has been mentioned.

jimtoo

Looking at a possible trip in 2010 or 2011 to San Antonio. The two places that are my list to see is the alamo, and seaworld. I really can't find to much else to see, any suggestions. We have 4 days in San Antonio, then on the way back to tucson, we are going to stop at carlsbad caverns and spend a few days. Need some helpfull hints from people that have been in San Antonio. Thank you Ernie & Lettie

I really think you should plan on at least a 2 or 3 weeks,,, maybe a month in San Antonio.

Jim M (Cheap Guide):D

Ernie & Lettie

Jimtoo, I would love to take that much time to do san antonio. but the wife still has to work, one thing that I was thinking is spent more time there in san antonio, and forget about carlsbad caverns. Right now we are thinking the last week in sept and first week in oct. I will need about 3 days to get there and 3 days to get back home. so we will see, offer still good about being a guide. thanx Ernie & Lettie.