Unusual names

palebluedot

We were sitting on the bench at the bus stop at Fort Wilderness (DisneyWorld) waiting for the next ride. Two other couples were talking and one of the ladies was addressed as "Ping". I just had to ask,"do you play golf". She didn't but the kicker - her last name was Woods. Several years ago while working for AT&T I would have to do some work in the secretarial pool office at a Georgia-Pacific Plant. There were about 20 ladies in the pool. Among the nameplates on the desks were Rhonda Fleming, Ann Baxter, Jean Simmons and Sandy Duncan. Always felt a little weird going there. You just can't make this stuff up. Anybody got some funny name stories?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Those are some recognizable names. My grandmother had 3 names plus her maiden name. Mary Francis Annette. She was called Nettie. So I guess that she decided to get even and named all of her sons with 3 names.

Phynus Carl Franklin
Grover Butler O'Neal
Virgil Clyde Wilburn
Clarance Johnny William
Allen Jefferson JD

And then my Aunt’s Husband was named Hosey Harrison by his parents. He went by HH to almost everyone, but I knew him as Uncle Harold until I started to look in to our genealogy. Uncle Harold was a mechanic as well as a part time boxer. No one dared to call him Hosey Harrison, if they knew it. However he was a very nice and easy going man.

My uncle Phynus Carl Franklin was called Hoot. He was a mechanic and owned wrecker yard. He was 6’-7”, slender and very stout. You didn’t call him Phynus. My uncle Virgil Clyde Wilburn was called Fudge. The others used one of their names..

Just glad none of my uncles were called Sue… LOL…

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It was Christmas Eve many years ago and I was working the Missing Persons Desk at the Houston Police Department. A man called up wanting to report his wife missing. He told me her name was Sandra Claus. After some discussion I found out he was telling the truth and I took the missing person's report. She showed back home the next morning. Never did find out where she went. I always thought she must have went looking for Rudolph.

Northern Virginia
Years ago when I was in college I worked at a department store. There was a girl who worked in lingerie and her real name was Candy Kane. Oh yea, and she was a seductive knock out! :D:eek::D

talley

Another police story.... years ago patrol officers had an unofficial initiation for new police dispatchers. It was always saved for the early morning hours when there was very little or no activity. Also, when there was no likelyhood the chief or other high ranking officer would be monitoring radio traffic. A patrol officer would radio for a license registeration check on a certain license plate number. The dispatcher would check the registeration number and radio the patrol officer the name and address of the owner. Generally the dispatcher would hesitate before uttering the name Tittizer". The patrol officer would always ask for a repeat of the name and spelling. I am sure that Mr Tittizer was an upstanding citizen and his vehicle was in the driveway with him in bed at that time of night. That name is still in the tellephone book; don't know if it still graces the airwaves.

jimtoo

I worked for an attorney named John Smith for a while. Also have an attorney in nearby town named Deal Fair.

Jim M

rick_debbie_gallant

This is for real:

My wife has an uncle named "Richard Stiff"
she also has an uncle, brother to Rickard, Doug A. Stiff.

Grandad had a sense of humor. Poor guys were in the service also. Must have been some strange looks during mail call and pay call!:eek:

Two Hands

I used to do background investigations for the Lompoc Police Department in California. Part of the hiring process included written testing and an interview by a psychologist by the name of DR. NUTTER. He also conducted psych evaluations for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department as well as the Ventura Sheriff's Department. When candidates were told the name of the psychologist they always thought we were joking and had to be convinced that was who they were going to see.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I used a MD Protologist in Houston a few years ago and his name is Doctor Butts. He practiced out of Houston Northwest Hospital.

I worked with a guy this summer named Jack Frost. He actually had about an 18 in. white beard and long white hair.
About 40 years ago I had a boss named Harry Butts:p, his real name was Harold but every body called him Harry

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, an appropriate name for this time of year. About 20 years ago I met a woman whose first name was Chris. Her last name was Mass. Chris Mass. I guess her parents had a sense of humor.

Peace
Dave