Day/night shades

waynet

Hi all, We have a Big Horn 3055 RL and the cord broke on the shade over the couch and there's no way of fixing it. I've tried calling my dealer but they don't seem to be interested in helping me with ordering a new one. Can someone tell me where to order from. I just want to make sure it matches the other shades. Thanks, Di

2010augusta

Here is a thread about the repair and restring of the day/night shades.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12205

Good luck

Bobby A

Hi all, We have a Big Horn 3055 RL and the cord broke on the shade over the couch and there's no way of fixing it. I've tried calling my dealer but they don't seem to be interested in helping me with ordering a new one. Can someone tell me where to order from. I just want to make sure it matches the other shades. Thanks, Di
If you don't feel confortble trying to repair it yourself, maybe you can call Heartland and get the phone # for the manufacture of the blind and call them and see if you could send it to them for repair. I did this on my last coach, and sent the blind to Irvine and they repaired it like new for $25.00. I was very happy. I don't think the blinds in Heartland products are coming from Irvine though. Just a thought !!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had a cord break on our rear day/night shade so we took them all down and put up venetian blinds and curtains. Makes it look more homie and we like it better. We got the blinds at Lowes and it was easy to remove the day/night and mount the blinds. We mounted the curtains with spring loaded curtain rods.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wayne, they can be repaired. The link from 2010Augusta has the instructions. You can fins replacement cord in white at any sporting goods store carrying supplies for bow fishing. I used 80# test braided poly fishing line. It's only available in white so I've replaced both sides or all 4 cords depending on the shade. Also like jmgratz, we've replaced some of our shades with wooden blinds. The big rear sindow , the 2 in the main slide and the computer desk. It really changes the appearance of the interior. Pics attached.

Attachments

• Dinette Blinds.jpg
    Dinette Blinds.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Loveseat Blinds 2.jpg
    Loveseat Blinds 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 88

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are planning to go to the wooden blinds also when we get to Mission this year. However, do not be afraid to repair the day/night shades, especially the ones on the small windows. It is very easy. The link supplied by 2010Augusta will take you to the thread I posted about repairing my shades.

Believe me.. If you follow the instructions I posted it is very easy.

BC

HappyKayakers

Try http://www.fixmyblinds.com/12-RV-restring.html for parts and instructions. I redid one of the small shades (bedroom) without a needle. Not sure if it would be required for larger blinds or not. One piece of advice if you decide to do it yourself - make sure there are no cats around. Ours loved that string, while I was trying to restring. She still plays with the old string that broke.

Netem

Check out fabric stores for the cord they usually have color choices and different diameters.

Two Hands

I had the same problem on one of the day/night shades in our 2007 Bighorn 3055RL. The CEO won't let me touch a screw driver let alone a shade repair kit. I phoned Heartland parts department and was able to order a new shade directly from them. They used my VIN to insure a proper color match. The price was very fair and the shipping prompt. I was very pleased with this service. A friend removed the old shade and put up the new one. It was awkward for him to get at the screws, but looked like a fairly easy job. I bought him breakfast as payment.

caissiel

We just hate those daynight shades. We had steel style blinds in the other RV and they lasted 15 years. Changed one in the bedroom in all that time. The curtains have to be up if you want ventilation in the unit.
We will be changing them in the near future for sure. My wife worked in the decorating deptment before so fitting is not a problem.. The only thing to do with the lathe style curtains is to travel with them up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just hate those daynight shades. We had steel style blinds in the other RV and they lasted 15 years. Changed one in the bedroom in all that time. The curtains have to be up if you want ventilation in the unit.
We will be changing them in the near future for sure. My wife worked in the decorating deptment before so fitting is not a problem.. The only thing to do with the lathe style curtains is to travel with them up.

We put in the metal mini-blinds (I know old-fashioned). Got them at Lowes and they cut them for free.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I wouldn't mind replacing them with vertical blinds, if I could find them with smaller width vanes. We've replaced the metal micro-blinds in all but two of the windows in our house with them and they are great. And the cats can poke their noses through them without bending anything.

geeksrus

One of our smaller one's string broke in the summer. We took it to a store that cleaned & built household blinds & they repaired it for C$10 per string (total of C$20).

Eh!

caissiel

Our day night shades are hard to pull up or down, is it suppose to be like that all the time. I feel that the string will wear out if we lift them up everyday. With the blinds you just have to rotate the slates.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Go to the link in post #2 of this thread and read the PDF in post #10 of that thread.

There is a lot of information in the thread..

BC