Anyone have a security safe?

wyleyrabbit

I am very seriously considering putting a small security safe into our BigHorn. This way, we'd be able to store important/expensive stuff like wallets, cameras, the notebook, the truck keys, and such someplace safe.

I like the idea of having something with an electronic keypad so I don't have to worry about losing a key while out hiking or fishing. My thought would be to put it in the front closet underneath the linen closet, ideally bolted to the floor or something.

Any thoughts?

Chris

davebennington

We have a small locking box that came with the trailer, not very secure. I have looked into installing a small safe just as you have suggested. The problem is where do you bolt it down if it is small someone can just take it and walk out. If you install it in the basement it is inconvenient to get to and put stuff in or out.

Dave

bighorn3370

When I was looking for a safe for my sticks and bricks house, one thing I read was, "You are buying time, as no safe is completely fire, water or burglar proof. The more you spend, the longer or harder it for them to intrude on your valuables." The place you pick out to bolt it down sounds good, but remember if the robber can get to the bottom of the bolts, he (she) can unbolt them and walk away with whole thing. Just something to think about.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
As a former peace officer, I can tell you that bighorn3370 is right on target. any thing man invents, man can destory. if you bolt a safe down, the thieves are just going to do that much more damage to your property. We have a security safe just as you describe, and we have it in the front closet under the clothes rack. It just sits there, protecting our important things. We can testify that they work, our stick house burned in jan09, completely destoying the house. We had to beat the safe open with a hammer, but all contents ( some a might damp ) were secure.too, most reputable safe co', ( such as Sentry ) will replace the safe for free if you lose it to fire. and they will. Just wanted to chime in, hope my 2cts helps. God Bless ya all, Al & Dee Weaver

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We should combine this thread with the laundry chute thread. Looks like the best place for a safe would be in the laundry "box" (except in a Sundance where the laundry chute really is a laundry chute):D.

wyleyrabbit

Both comments absolutely make sense. However, what's the expression, "Trust in God, but lock your doors"? I think that's right.

I suppose the thing we'd like to be able to do is to make it less convenient for a potential thief to steal our stuff by increasing the time and complexity of the break-in. Assuming the thief doesn't bring all the tools necessary to get the safe out, especially if the bolts are tightened from the inside, then we might avoid having valuables stolen.

Chris

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I built in a plywood box with a 4 way lock on it.(next door neighbour is a locksmith) it is screwed to the floor and all edges are glued and screwed. It will keep the honest people honest, and take the dishonest a while to get at it and get it out. Buys me some time.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just remember when putting a safe in the front closet you will be adding weight to the kingpin (TV). Some safe weigh quite a bit (over 100 pounds). We also have a lock box under the bed in our LM. It came with the LM and we haven't even used it yet.

talley

Like Jim, we have the lock box that came with the BH... have not used it. But, recently bought ($100) a small gun safe for handgun. ( www.gunvault.com ) Bolted it to shelf in bedroom cabinet. Like Wileyrabbit said... object is to slow them down and make it a time consuming to steal the safe/contents. Increase the odds they will be caught. Nominal size is 12"X8"X5", large enough for handgun and valuables. Has four button electronic lock and door will spring open when correct "pattern" sequence is entered (don't have to see keypad). Has a key lock to over-ride the electronic and in case the battery goes dead. Used 12"X8" backup plate under the shelf. Temporary bolted...still looking for the right size "sex-bolt" to secure the safe. The safe seems well built and serves the purpose for us. Got ours at Academy sporting & Outdoors.

truknutt

Committed Member
Good Idea! I installed a small safe in our Cyclone for wallets, jewelry and the like. I believe it is actually a pistol safe as well.

Won't tell you where I installed it 'cause then I'd have to kill ya'! :D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Like Jim, we have the lock box that came with the BH... have not used it. But, recently bought ($100) a small gun safe for handgun. ( www.gunvault.com ) Bolted it to shelf in bedroom cabinet. Like Wileyrabbit said... object is to slow them down and make it a time consuming to steal the safe/contents. Increase the odds they will be caught. Nominal size is 12"X8"X5", large enough for handgun and valuables. Has four button electronic lock and door will spring open when correct "pattern" sequence is entered (don't have to see keypad). Has a key lock to over-ride the electronic and in case the battery goes dead. Used 12"X8" backup plate under the shelf. Temporary bolted...still looking for the right size "sex-bolt" to secure the safe. The safe seems well built and serves the purpose for us. Got ours at Academy sporting & Outdoors.

Very interesting website/products. I've been looking for something along that line, myself. They even have breach locks for shotguns and AR model carbines.

wdk450

Security Screws

Both comments absolutely make sense. However, what's the expression, "Trust in God, but lock your doors"? I think that's right.

I suppose the thing we'd like to be able to do is to make it less convenient for a potential thief to steal our stuff by increasing the time and complexity of the break-in. Assuming the thief doesn't bring all the tools necessary to get the safe out, especially if the bolts are tightened from the inside, then we might avoid having valuables stolen.

Chris

To add to the security you can get security head screws that are resistant to common tools. Here is a link:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#security-screws/=4yjca1

Boca_Shuffles

We put our electronic combination safe that we got from Home Depot in the rear cabinets of our BH 3055RL. It is bolted to the back wall. Since the cabinet is 5 feet off the ground, the intruder would have a little bit of a hard time prying it out of the cabinet.

If you go by the theory that you are only slowing the thief down by using a safe, just put your valuables in a zip lock bag and tape it to your screen door handle. That way they won't bother to break in. Just snatch and run. :D

jimtoo

If you go by the theory that you are only slowing the thief down by using a safe, just put your valuables in a zip lock bag and tape it to your screen door handle. That way they won't bother to break in. Just snatch and run. :D

And actually, most of the ones that do the breaking and entering are to stupid to look for some place that simple. They like to destroy along with the stealing. I think it must turn them on somehow.

Jim M

wdk450

Lock your steps?

BTW, I have often wondered if these trailer contents thieves really haul ladders along with them to get in the door/windows that are up in the air? If they mainly unfold the trailer steps and break in the door, how about making it a little harder by drilling a hole through the side of the folded steps and putting a security lock on the steps, so they can't be unfolded?
Also, the main things I have heard of being stolen from trailers were the flat screen TV's. Maybe some security head screws on the TV's might help.

talley

And actually, most of the ones that do the breaking and entering are to stupid to look for some place that simple. They like to destroy along with the stealing. I think it must turn them on somehow.

Jim M

Jim, I hate to give you this image but you brought it up!!:D It is a fact that some burglars do get "turned on" in a manner of speaking. It is not unusual for crooks who break into houses to leave a present behind... sometimes in the commode and sometimes just in a little pile on the floor!!:eek:

Gosh, the things you can learn on this forum!!:eek:

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks Talley. That's a great idea. I've been looking at small safes to put in my LM. Never considered a gun safe. Now I've got a whole new avenue to explore. Thanks for the idea.

Keith

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
BTW, I have often wondered if these trailer contents thieves really haul ladders along with them to get in the door/windows that are up in the air? If they mainly unfold the trailer steps and break in the door, how about making it a little harder by drilling a hole through the side of the folded steps and putting a security lock on the steps, so they can't be unfolded?
Also, the main things I have heard of being stolen from trailers were the flat screen TV's. Maybe some security head screws on the TV's might help.

Maybe put a sensor on the steps that sets off a battery-driven Klaxon horn when unfolded. Hidden on/off switch so you can arm/disarm it. Cops could find the culprit just by following the smell of his soiled shorts.

Tom of Ypsi

Talley thanks for that little bit of info now I have to start putting papers on the floor like one would do for a puppy. Guess it was to be expected being the dogs these people are for taking from law abiding citizens.

Small gun safe, good idea.

rick_debbie_gallant

Maybe put a sensor on the steps that sets off a battery-driven Klaxon horn when unfolded. Hidden on/off switch so you can arm/disarm it. Cops could find the culprit just by following the smell of his soiled shorts.

forget the claxon, have shear trap set up to trap the bxxxxxxd and also have a taser rigged to discharge at crotch level along with some cs gas.