Odor in bathroom sink only

Bobby A

O.k., this has been driving me crazy for a couple weeks now. We arrived in Fl. about 6 weeks ago. It seems that we get a foul odor coming out the bathroom faucet only. I have changed our water filters, bleached out the lines, and we still get this foul odor coming from the bathroom sink faucet only. Not from the kitchen or the shower, I'm stumpt !! The only thing I haven't done is change the faucet, and I'm thinking of doing that next. This is the bathroom faucet that squeeks when you turn on the hot water. I've talked to other Heartland owners that have the same squeeky faucet problem. Could the smell be coming from the faucet ?? Any suggestions ?? I know I'm not going crazy !! but its gonna drive me there if I can't find the problem. Thanks

2010augusta

Are you sure it is coming from the faucet? Could it be coming from the sink, or more specifically the sink overflow? Our bathroom sink had the wrong drain that did not allow for the water in in overflow channel to go anywhere, so it became stagnate. that is my thought.

Bobby A

Are you sure it is coming from the faucet? Could it be coming from the sink, or more specifically the sink overflow? Our bathroom sink had the wrong drain that did not allow for the water in in overflow channel to go anywhere, so it became stagnate. that is my thought.
Thanks for the quick response, it seems only noticeable when we turn on the water, mostly hot water because thats what we use to wash our hands. How do I know if I have the wrong drain ?? We have been living in the coach for 7 months and have only recently noticed this.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I think its probablly coming from your water heater...a FAQ from Suburban on the subject.....Kenny
Question 7
There is a bad odor coming from the hot water faucet. How can I correct this?
Answer:
Odor from the hot water system is not a service problem and many water supplies contain sufficient amounts of sulphur to produce an odor. The odor is similar to rotten eggs and is often referred to as "sulphur water." Sulphur water is not harmful - only unpleasant to smell. Sulphur water can be caused by a chemical action or by bacteria. The key to eliminating this smell is heavy chlorination of the water system. Add about six (6) ounces of chlorine (common household liquid bleach) to each 10 gallons in the water tank. Then run the heavily chlorinated water throughout the system, opening each faucet one at a time until you smell the chlorine. Let the RV sit a few days and the chlorine should take care of the problem. Then you will need to take care of the chlorine by flushing the water system. If you don't have a water filtration system that removes chlorine, you may have a problem getting rid of the chlorine taste. You might consider adding such a system because it allows you to keep water chlorinated and this prevents several problems, including sulphur water. Chlorination also takes care of other types of bacteria and viruses.

2010augusta

Does the sink in the Big Horn have an overflow? You can pull the drain out just like in a S&B, no tools required, well maybe a set of channel lock or the like to lossen the large nut on the bottom of the sink. there should be a opening on the sides of the drain to let water run through into the main drain area. See the picture below for a better idea of both types. You might also check the P-trap for any thing stinky.

DSCN9683.JPG

note the seal should not be split, but thats a whole nother issue.

Bobby A

Ken,

I did bleach the system, not for a few days though, probably 6 hours and it did go away for a few days. Its not the sulfur smell that you speek of though.

Alan,
I think you might of hit on something, thanks for the pics, I don't know how to post a pic or I would show you what I have. I'll check into it further tomorrow, its getting a little late to tackle anything. I'll post back tomorrow. If you wan't you could PM me with your e-mail address and I could send you a pic that way, I do know how to do that !! It puzzles me, why now and not several weeks/months ago ??

Thanks to all for your ideas

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

Try removing the Sink Stopper... under the sink on the back side of the Drain pipe tail piece that is bolted to the sink is a shaft that holds the stopper. Unscrew the fitting that holds the Lift rod for the sink stopper... lift the stopper out and check for a build up of soap on it. I'd then take the P-trap off the sink drain and clean the sink drain pipe as well as the P-trap. Could be the build up is holding the odor.

Marv

HappyKayakers

You could also check the 'check valve' under the sink. For more info, look at this thread. I think I got it right to go directly to page 2. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13563&highlight=just+venting&page=2

Bobby A

Bobby,

Try removing the Sink Stopper... under the sink on the back side of the Drain pipe tail piece that is bolted to the sink is a shaft that holds the stopper. Unscrew the fitting that holds the Lift rod for the sink stopper... lift the stopper out and check for a build up of soap on it. I'd then take the P-trap off the sink drain and clean the sink drain pipe as well as the P-trap. Could be the build up is holding the odor.

Marv
I did exactly what you and Allan suggested, cleaned everything with bleach water and rinsed well. I did notice that odor throught the cleaning process, so I hope it was just the soap build up like you mentioned. The park water has been off all day for some repairs I guess, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if that was the culprit, and also make sure I don't have any leaks. Thanks to all who responded and offered help.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

Perhaps try to isolate parts and pieces to determine the origin of the problem. For example, remove the drain assembly, and cover the p-trap/drain with heavy clear wrap. Then, is odor gone? Or, try running some hot water into clean container and determine if the water is the source of the odor. Good luck.

Bobby A

Perhaps try to isolate parts and pieces to determine the origin of the problem. For example, remove the drain assembly, and cover the p-trap/drain with heavy clear wrap. Then, is odor gone? Or, try running some hot water into clean container and determine if the water is the source of the odor. Good luck.

Thanks for that suggestion, got it all back together now after removal and cleanup. Just turned it on for the first time and Yeaaaa, no leaks and no smell, so far !! I'll use your idea if I have to tear it apart again.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
My wife complained about an odor at the bath lavatory too. I finally got around to looking in the cabinet. Found the black plastic vent was laying there, screwed it back in place & fixed the problem. This is on a 2010 3570rl rv. Not sure if all other units have this system on them. It vents the lava. And gives it air so it will drain, without it installed, the gas vents into the bathroom.

Bobby A

I think my issue was an abundance of soap scum build up in the trap and drain, after I completely removed everything and cleaned it all with bleach water and also sprayed bleach water in the overflow hole and re assembled everything I have no smell now, its only been a day or so, but I think we got it nailed. Thanks to this forum and all the wonderful knowledgeable poeple on it.

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

Glad you feel it's taken care of... at least until the next cleaning. I have found that "Bar" soap seems to cling more in the drain pipes. I have switched over to liquid soap for all our cleaning needs. That said... I still get a build up over time.. My DW washes her hair in the sink often. I've no doubt the products she uses add to this build up... but being slightly smarter than the a drain pipe... I don't make suggestions to her choices of hair products.... I just MUCK out the sink drain when it gets slow... :)

Marv

We have a 3055 2008 and I have complained for the past two seasons about smell in bathroom sink. We bleached lines and smell came back. Not sure if it's a chemical reaction from hot water tank or other problem. As camping season doesn't start til May I was wondering if your problems were solved? Thanks for the tips.

Bobby A

We have a 3055 2008 and I have complained for the past two seasons about smell in bathroom sink. We bleached lines and smell came back. Not sure if it's a chemical reaction from hot water tank or other problem. As camping season doesn't start til May I was wondering if your problems were solved? Thanks for the tips.

After taking the p trap off and cleaning all the soap scum out and bleaching it and also squirted so bleach in the overflow hole, the smell hasn't returned. I do think thats where all the smell was coming from. Its been a couple 3 months now with good results. Its an easy fix