Battery on F250 6.0L Diesel or other trucks

caissiel

This summer I realized I had one bad battery one my truck. It was not the first time that the batteries fail on this truck, it was 3rd set of batteries. So I did a complete check of the charging system and found out that the 2nd Alternator was bad. So I took the unit to an alternator shop and told him I wanted to recondition the unit. He checked it out and told me these units are prone to fail, they realy are light duty compared to the main alternator. Well he tested it and checked the inside and told me not to weary the unit will be fine after he fixed a ground problem. No charge for the check he said.
Well I gave him a tip for his advice and asked him this question.
Since I had a bad battery I used one of my RV battery as a 2nd battery, and found out that the truck starter never turned so good. I asked him what if I used an RV battery as a 2nd unit, since I boomdock often it would be practical to have a 3rd RV battery. He told me that since I have the 2 alternators I should not weary, He knew a contractor that only uses RV batteries on his diesels. It takes a bit longer to recharge a Deepcell, but because of the cold starts and glow plugs I feel the batteries have higher voltage to turn the starter. I will be trying it for this set of batteries. That is Marine/Deepcell/Start Batteries.

caissiel

I just trimmed a few ribs at the bottom of the battery tray and the 27F battery slid right in. I am sure the passenger side can fit an other 27f unit. I am sure the 24F batteries would fit in. need to install a new holder though, no side anchors on the 27F. I was looking at the Marine Optma batteries and they do have an adapter to fit. The RV and car batteries are the same footprint. The driver side cover has been gone for a while.

porthole

Retired
If you compare the ford to the gm's the ford has more room. There is just enough room in the gm for the battery, and it is a slight challenge just to get them out. GM doesn't use covers they use a neoprene type wrap on the batteries. I was able to reuse them this time, but I guess they won't last another 4 years.

caissiel

I had the old 98 GM and the batteries were taller then the Ford, I changed the battery style to top post on the second set and it fit ok. But Ford has always used the same size batteries in all their vehicles, so I figured the the taller was OK. Just have to watch the brake lines close to the battery on the driver side. The RV battery is great to hook additional wires to the top bolt

lwmcguir

I have good luck with the 65 series with 900 cold cranking amps. About $80 dollars at Walmart with a 72 month warranty. Fits right in but takes a bit to get the cover to snap on the drivers side.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Speaking of batteries.This past Thursday afternoon I got in my F-350 and cranked it but it was a little slower than normal.I was scheduled for an oil change on Friday anyway so I had the batteries checked.The passenger side was ok but weak and the drivers side had a dead cell.Since my truck is still under warranty they both were replaced.

SueJean

Baby, It's COOOLLLLDDD outside!!!

:cool: I never thought I'd be saying this in Texas, but while some of ya'll are digging out of the snow and the ice of the last few days, we're shiverin' in our "boots" down here!

There just ain't "south enough" here in Texas to get away from this "global warming". :eek: (Ha! Just kidding! So don't jump down my throat if you're an Al Gore fan. :D)

Anyway, to the point, eh! We have a 2001 Ford F-250 :Dwith a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel and it sure don't like the cold. Yesterday we started it a couple of times while installing a CB radio which ran the batteries low.

Later in the day DH went out to make a run for ice. (I know! I know!, but iced tea just ain't iced tea without ice! :p) No dice, uh, I mean, no ice! And we was outta "juice". The batteries just didn't have the "umphh" to get it going.

So, we break out this handy dandy little device recommended to me by someone familiar with the nature of our Ford diesel - the Duralast Gold Jump Starter. :)

Now, being a bit more "reactionary" than "proactive", of course the thing has only been outta the box once and it takes 20+ hours to charge it up before using it the first time and our "first time" didn't have enough hours to get it fully charged so it was only partially charged this time, but.......:rolleyes:

We plugged it in as DH recounted how it didn't work the last time we saw snowflakes and I proceeded to attempt to distract him with lemonade sans ice. :angel:

Anyway, bottom line is that after 20 hours with a full charge, the cute little black and yellow box saved the day. The Ford roared back to life and we now have a great big bag of ice stuffed in our tiny little freezer. YAY!

;)

Razorback

In my 2004 F-250 6.0 , both batteries are the originals from when I bought the truck new . But now you guys have me worried.:eek::eek:. Wished I hadn't read this post. lol

branson4020

Icantre Member
SueJean,

Sounds like you might need to get the glo-plug relay replaced. It's a common failure for that truck and it will sure help the life of your batteries.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
deisels pull a lot of power from the batteries (that's why there are two of them). I have changed my 2000 PSD batteries 4 times. I live near Yellowstone and the winter is very cold (cold soaked.) Don't let the doomsdayers make you worry!!! If you bought your deisel to save money on maintenance and fuel..................then you made a big mistake!

lwmcguir

deisels pull a lot of power from the batteries (that's why there are two of them). I have changed my 2000 PSD batteries 4 times. I live near Yellowstone and the winter is very cold (cold soaked.) Don't let the doomsdayers make you worry!!! If you bought your deisel to save money on maintenance and fuel..................then you made a big mistake!

I would agree unless you bought it to tow. The you need it and the extra maintenance if cheaper than changing out gas engines. The extra cost of the Diesel is quite high when you look at all the filters and oil changes.