Entertainment area cabinets too small

rvn4fun

Just took delivery of or 2011 yesterday, like everything so far except the cabinets in the entertainment center. They are so shallow that my Dish reciever and dvd recorder won't fit into the cabinets. They are just sitting on the ledge just over the fireplace, in front of the tv. I am not a happy camper. No reason that they coudn't have extended them out so something would have fit into them. Guess I should have looked more closely.:confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just took delivery of or 2011 yesterday, like everything so far except the cabinets in the entertainment center. They are so shallow that my Dish reciever and dvd recorder won't fit into the cabinets. They are just sitting on the ledge just over the fireplace, in front of the tv. I am not a happy camper. No reason that they coudn't have extended them out so something would have fit into them. Guess I should have looked more closely.:confused:

What, you would not have bought the rig because your home electronic devices won't fit in the cabinet? Sounds like the plumbing fixture commercial where they want the big time buildier to design the house around the faucet.:rolleyes:

rick_debbie_gallant

Now don't take this the wrong way, okay? But aren't we supposed to be camping?:rolleyes: Just sayin!!

Did I forget to say that I like the tv and dvr also? Now if I can just figure out where to put the hot tub.

B

bwwalczak

Please let me know which model coach and which brand of receiver you are using.

We did build cabinets to fit most receivers, want to make sure we didn't miss one.

SmokeyBare

IF the Satellite Receiver uses a UHF Remote... the receiver can be placed inside a cabinet or just about anywhere since it does not require the remote to "SEE" the Receiver. They do are not required to be placed flat, they can be mounted on any of their sides... they can be mounted on a wall as well...

Marv

caissiel

I have a satelite receiver that the remote will not operate with the glass door closed, we just open the door when we watch TV. I bet a newer model will solve this problem. I have to comment on HL's remarks its great that the manufacturer listens to our remarks, they do make a difference.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a satelite receiver that the remote will not operate with the glass door closed, we just open the door when we watch TV. I bet a newer model will solve this problem. I have to comment on HL's remarks its great that the manufacturer listens to our remarks, they do make a difference.
Laurent, could the receivers sensor eye be partially blocked by the wood surrounding the glass? I have a Direct TV DVR on top of a Samsung DVD receiver and I have to make sure when using the DTV remote, that it's low enough to "see" the sensor on the DTV receiver. I was thinking of removing the door but I like the way the Entertainment Center looks with the door in place so ????

caissiel

Now you mentioned it, I have to have the remote perfectly in line with the eye, it will not operate if I angle it so I had lifted the rear to lower it down but it was still hard to use the remote at other position so we just open the door, lots space for it to swing out and stays there. I once put it behind the swinging 26" TV, sideways, it still was a problem for the remote.

caissiel

You are a Gallant, are you in anyway originally from Acadia here in the Maritimes of Canada. Gallants is one of the most common names here.

Bobby A

I was also gonna mention that the satellite receiver gets very hot, we have the DVR on ours and it does get really hot so I do keep the cabinet door open for ventalization and also make sure the cooling fins on the side of the receiver are not blocked by anything in the cabinet, some day I might get in the mood to installing a small fan in the cabinet.

Last edited:

rvn4fun

Cabinets too small

Hi we have a 2011 3450TS Big Country, the cabinets over fireplace are 11 1/2 inches deep, the dish dvr reciever I use is a 625 and is 14 inches deep. I think I will use the bottum cabinet and route the cables up behind the fireplace. Not to offend anyone but we do live in rv about 10 months of the year as we work camp so it is more then camping to us. Thanks for replies.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The cabinet in our Bighorn is 14" deep...seems odd they would use a different size in the Big Country. Our DTV DVR box and receiver are less that 11" deep each...a 14" deep box wouldn't fit in our cabinets either though, as you need space to connect cables, etc.

Didn't pay any attention to size of DTV DVR box, but did shop for replacement receiver based on size....

jbeletti

Hi gang,

We have been watching this thread, taking notes and looking up measurements. While I am in no position to make promises, it is my hope that for future model years of our products, we will do our best to accommodate Satellite Receiver HD-DVRs in the entertainment cabinets.

My research has revealed the following in terms of HD-DVR sizes, then my recommended interior cabinet size.

US satellite-to-home TV companies researched and their HD-DVR sizes:
  • Direct TV - HD-DVR: 15.2" W x 2.8" H x 11.8" D
  • Dish Network - HD-DVR: 16" W x 3.5" H x 13" D

Canadian satellite-to-home TV companies researched and their HD-DVR sizes:
  • Express-Vue (Bell) - HD-DVR: 15" W x 3.5" H x 12.5" D
  • Star Choice (Shaw) - HD-DVR: 17" W x 2.4" H x 11" D

Bear in mind that some room around the DVR is required for ventilation. Additionally, at least 1" - 2" of depth is required for connectors. From the above list, the deepest receiver is used by Dish Network (13") and the widest receiver used by Star Choice (17").

This research suggests an ideal sized entertainment cabinet with 15" of interior depth and 17" of interior width.

Here again, there is no current plan to go to this. The information has been passed to the plants for consideration.

This all said, as we all know, the state of consumer electronics is an ever-changing one. What one person has as a need is not even on another person's radar. To build a cabinet, or an RV for that matter that accommodates all potential personal requirements is just not feasible. Can we do better in some area? Yes. It's my hope that the interior volume of the entertainment cabinet is one of those areas we will address in future model year product.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Jim

2010augusta

The cabinet in our Bighorn is 14" deep...seems odd they would use a different size in the Big Country. Our DTV DVR box and receiver are less that 11" deep each...a 14" deep box wouldn't fit in our cabinets either though, as you need space to connect cables, etc.

Didn't pay any attention to size of DTV DVR box, but did shop for replacement receiver based on size....

In our Landmark the cabinet is 16.5" deep, so the plot thickens:rolleyes:, but the factory installed Samsung DVD reciver is much larger than any of the DVR's we have had.

rick_debbie_gallant

Hi we have a 2011 3450TS Big Country, the cabinets over fireplace are 11 1/2 inches deep, the dish dvr reciever I use is a 625 and is 14 inches deep. I think I will use the bottum cabinet and route the cables up behind the fireplace. Not to offend anyone but we do live in rv about 10 months of the year as we work camp so it is more then camping to us. Thanks for replies.

Oops, sorry but I meant no offense, just tongue in cheek. Believe me when I say this that I would not be without my sat dish or tv either. I cant miss FOX news:eek:, period...

rvn4fun

Thanks Jim, I know to some this is a small problem, we finally put our Dish dvr down in the bottum cabinet. We drilled some holes to run the cords to a surge protector and now we leave the bottum cabinet open so our remote can operate it. Will order a ir extender soon so we can keep the cat out of that cabinet. We also ran a cable up under the slide room then thru a furnance vent then into the back of the ICU to hook up with the bedroom sattelite feed. Now I can watch my football games without any problems. The only problem now will be unhooking the cable and moving it out from under the slide, everytime we move. So if you do redesign the entertainment center please run another dedicated satellite cable up to the bedroom. Once you have had a DVR reciever you will never go back to watching tv the old way. Thanks, overall we love the Big Country we were shopping for a Bighorn, but when we saw this model we bought it.