step storage

rick_debbie_gallant

Just gained me some new storage space under the steps of my BH3670. All I had to do is remove 4 screws (two from each step) and put a piano hinge on the back side of each step and fasten it to the riser and presto more room to put stuff! Maybe even a safe could go in there with a hidden locking device on the step. And perhaps a flash-bang if someone gets in there that aint supposin to.

jimtoo

Good idea for a hiding place. Same thing I been thinking of,, just have not got around to it. If it is easy to do,, I will tackle it... but kinda been holding off, hoping someone else would say it's easy.

Is you hinge hidden from view or can it be seen? How about posting a picture or two to help us lazy guys out. Thinking is hard work.

Jim M

rick_debbie_gallant

Jim:

Will do when I get back in town. I am home in Michigan (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) now! for Christmas. My wife had to have a grandchild fix. I knew she was missing them when ever we saw a child and I had to restrain her from picking him or her up and cooing to them.

Yes the step thing was easy. just had to find the screws hidden in the carpet and unscrew them. The hinge is barely visible. in fact if you were to brush the carpet nap a certian way or cut some off from under the step and kind of sprinkle it on the hinge after putting some sort of adhesive down it would be hidden (the hinge). DW has me putting my shoes in one step and she gets the other. plus I will keep a hammer and screwdriver and drill in there as well. I am also lazy and dont want to have to run outside every time I have to screw or bang something. I AM talking about nails and screws, Jim.;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That's doable if you don't have a central vacuum mounted there. The dealer put the hose port on the bottom riser, rather on the wall next to the counter.

caissiel

Our steps are noisy did you improve the sound. I figure the screws would surely cause the squeeks.

Elevatorman

The mentioning of the flash bang just gave me another idea for that area. Wonder if we could make it lockable also? Great idea, might be the next inside mod!

rick_debbie_gallant

The mentioning of the flash bang just gave me another idea for that area. Wonder if we could make it lockable also? Great idea, might be the next inside mod!

Yes indeed. When I get back to Texas I plan on working on that unless someone beats me to it. Stuff is on the back burner right now.

lwmcguir

Making it a secure/sturdy lock box might be the solution for the folks on the Safe box forum. (and as noted on this forum as well) Seems like it would make sense and wouldn't take all that much to secure it from below as well. At least make it time consuming to get into and that would probably be enough.

Two of our fomer SOB campers had storage under the steps. Worked well and was quiet.

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

No did not have to pull the carpet. They were located along each side or end. Just one screw per side. located in the middle of the step just about in the middle. All I had to do is to hunt through the carpet nap until I found them. Very easy to do, on my rig anyway. If you had a strong magnet you may be able to find them that way. Or if you have a compass it may be sensitive enough to find the screw heads. Now if you are stapled together that will be another story. Try lifting up in the middle of the step. If it bows in the middle the screws may be in the ends if it dont bow mayber the screws are in the middle of the step. I cant take a picture now because the rig is in texas and i am here in michigan. Hope I helped.

ralphpam

Thanks for the help but I think mine are stapled down. I tried with my fingers, an icepick and a strong magnet with no luck and as I do not want to rip up the carpet I will leave will enough alone. It sure is a good idea though.

Do you have any ideas on how to lock the steps? I have had mine off to re-route my ducts. Yes, there is some extra room. How would you lock the stair steps so it wouldn't be a triping hazzard?

rick_debbie_gallant

That has not been a problem with the tripping. I put the piano hinge on the back side of the step. No problem at all with it coming up when I dont want it to. By the way I weigh in at about 22 stones and even with me on the step it dont move. If I were to lock it I would most likely try a double hung window sash lock or a barrel bolt.

Dragoon

Do you have any ideas on how to lock the steps? I have had mine off to re-route my ducts. Yes, there is some extra room. How would you lock the stair steps so it wouldn't be a triping hazzard?

On our SOB the manufacture had installed a cabinet latch. Same as is used on the doors and drawers to keep them from opening. Step never came up unless we wanted it to and no problem in 10+ years of use. Hope this helps...