Helen, GA

charlie51

Has anyone ever stayed in Helen, GA? I was thinking of visting there, but have never been before. I noticed there was Unicoi State Park just outside of town. I live in northern Alabama and have heard it's a pretty tough pull into Helen. Lots of steep grades? Does anyone have any info?:)

Nell

I live about an 1.5 hrs south of Helen, GA. I have been there numerous times. There are no really steep grades going directly north up GA 400 to it but it depends on your approach. Coming across from the north west, yes there are some significant climbs. I would not want to tow through Helen itself, it's very narrow. Unicoi SP, like so many GA state parks is really nice and I think the whole north Georgia mountain area is beautiful.

It's a little further away from Helen than Unicoi but Vogel SP is a favorite for me.

Gator

We have stayed at Vogel State Park, Cherokee Campground, Creekwood Resort, and Sugar Mill Creek. Vogel and Unicoi are both very nice. Sugarmillcreek.com is a little different. They have an open air bar and live music weekends. The campground is very well kept & friendly. Sugar Mill Creek has driving directions on their web site that will keep you off the bad hills. Hope you enjoy our beautiful mountains. Catch a few trout for me.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Sugar Mill Creek has driving directions on their web site that will keep you off the bad hills.

Bad Hills -- There ain't no such thing. I love going into and out of Helena. Great roads. Of course I was on 2 wheels and not pulling anything bigger than my motorcycle trailer, but then that's what riding in the hills is all about.:)

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I live about an 1.5 hrs south of Helen, GA. I have been there numerous times. There are no really steep grades going directly north up GA 400 to it but it depends on your approach. Coming across from the north west, yes there are some significant climbs. I would not want to tow through Helen itself, it's very narrow. Unicoi SP, like so many GA state parks is really nice and I think the whole north Georgia mountain area is beautiful.

It's a little further away from Helen than Unicoi but Vogel SP is a favorite for me.

Ga 400 is the way to go for you. If you are that close and want the most beautiful mountains scenes, clean facilities and more reserve at Trackrock Campgrounds & Stables!

About 20 minutes to Helen but that is a good thing away from all that mess and traffic. Vogel and Unicoi are sweet but once you've been to Trackrock you have not seen heaven on earth... www.trackrock.com

charlie51

rockerga, do you know what would be the best way to go. I looked on the map and found GA400, but wasn't sure the best way to get there. I would be coming from Huntsville, AL which is about 20 minutes from the Tennessee state line. I didn't want to go way south and then come up from like Atlanta, but I don't know the type of other roads between Huntsville and Trackrock. Don't know if you ever been through this way, but I have never pulled to GA. Any input from anyone would be great. I'm thinking of going to Helen, GA in the spring. Have aleady winterized for this year, but plan on pulling it back out in early March.:)

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
rockerga, do you know what would be the best way to go. I looked on the map and found GA400, but wasn't sure the best way to get there. I would be coming from Huntsville, AL which is about 20 minutes from the Tennessee state line. I didn't want to go way south and then come up from like Atlanta, but I don't know the type of other roads between Huntsville and Trackrock. Don't know if you ever been through this way, but I have never pulled to GA. Any input from anyone would be great. I'm thinking of going to Helen, GA in the spring. Have aleady winterized for this year, but plan on pulling it back out in early March.:)

A good friend of mine and worker here at Trackrock left recently for a winter work stay at Cheaha State Park in Alabama. Let me ask them and I will get back to you. They left here and headed towards Huntsville, then southward.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Sorry... This is not much but here is what my friend said. With a handy map you should see the route they are talking about.

The best way out of Huntsville is to go through Dalton. I have forgotten the road numbers, except go up to I-24 then take I-75 south to Dalton. You come out in Ellijay. That way you miss all those curvy roads going to Murphy. We only found this way when we left there this time, so only been once. That's why I can't remember the road numbers, but it was much better that way. Most GPS units will try to take you other ways, but if you go Dalton and put in Blairsville I think it will take you the right direction then. I do remember part of the way is on 431. That's between Dalton and Ellijay. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

charlie51

thanks a bunch. That will get me started. I think that's going to be our spring break plan. I've heard Helen was great. Thanks again for the help.

Merry X-mas everyone.:):):)