Snow on roof

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One flake............. we're headed south in two weeks. Seriously, that roof can support a lot of weight. I know that the east coast is getting pounded now, but I would not worry about it. Here in Wisconsin where we get out fair share of snow, our Bighorn sat out through two winters with no porblems.

Peace
Dave

4ever

I agree with cookie about the one flake. Leaving on the 27th for Florida. Not comming back until the snow and cold are gone.

The roof can take a lot of snow. Don't forget you can go up on the roof and walk around. I don't think a foot of snow has as much weight as you standing up there.

Ted

irvin56

We've had lots of snow the last 2 seasons

And had No Problems with weight.
There is also a picture of someone on top of a North Trail.
shovelling off more than 2 feet of snow. It held him and the snow loAD

porthole

Retired
Until about 8pm last night I had no snow on the roof. It was windy enough that the flexing cover kept any snow from building up.
That changed after 8

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
It will hold a lot! Although the wind has removed some of what was up there.

I'm with Sox-a-kitty!

Attachments

• 100_1107.jpg
    100_1107.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1109.jpg
    100_1109.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1112.JPG
    100_1112.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1106.jpg
    100_1106.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 54

jnbhobe

Nice view of the Bighorn Deb!!! Would look a lot nicer with slam doors, Don't you think!!!! LOL Nice winter scene also. JON:D:D:D

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Yes it would Jon but they don't won't to do it. I wish they would. You are one of the few who were able to sneak that in.

lhetsler

Snow weighs an average of 15lbs per cubic foot. So a foot of snow on a Bighorn 3670 would weight approx 304 X 15 or 4500 lbs. That is significant weight. I had bent axles last year and I believe it was from the heavy winter snows. This year I have installed four 5,000 lbs scissor jacks and have them jacked in place to kept the weight from snow off the axles. I know I don't travel heavy, so that could not have bent the axles. If you live in snowy climate, I recommend jacks of some sort.

JoelC

At what points of the 5er do you have the jacks, and are they just relieving some weight off the wheels or do you have the 5er suspended on them?

rick_debbie_gallant

Snow weighs an average of 15lbs per cubic foot. So a foot of snow on a Bighorn 3670 would weight approx 304 X 15 or 4500 lbs. That is significant weight. I had bent axles last year and I believe it was from the heavy winter snows. This year I have installed four 5,000 lbs scissor jacks and have them jacked in place to kept the weight from snow off the axles. I know I don't travel heavy, so that could not have bent the axles. If you live in snowy climate, I recommend jacks of some sort.

Now is that for HEAVY snow or LIGHT snow? And what if you add freezing rain into the mix.:eek:;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Then, by that rationale, anyone who stored a trailer with 7000 lb. axles in your climate zone should have bent axles at the end of the same winter as well. Lesser rigs should have been sitting on their frames. Since they build these rigs in Elkhart, they've got a pretty good idea of what snow looks and feels like. Methinks if it were a problem they would put an advisory out about it to protect themselves from lawsuits. I don't know of any dealerships in the northern tier (at least Michigan), where they go out and put jacks or blocks under the rigs on their lots for the winter.

lwmcguir

Most axles are bent due to the poor condition of many roads. Hitting a pot hole at the wrong angle or any angel loaded at hi way speed can do it. Luckily most of the time it doesn't. Lighter axles such as the standard ones on the Coach's can bend fairly easy and especially if they are loaded at or above the rated capacity. Used to bend axles on our trailers until we upgraded or ordered at least 2K over what we were going to load at. The extra weight on the roof cant be a good thing so it is worth noting and getting it off. I think that would be a good tip for everyone.

lhetsler

Snow

Research I did says the average weight of snow is 15lbs per cubic foot. I have the jacks before and after the axles and have not suspended the rig, just keeping any additional weight from going on the axles. Believe it or not, makes no difference to me. Just giving you the facts. Many times snow comes and goes, but last year there was a period of time that the snow just kept building up. As far as dealers go, I wouldn't take my do's and don'ts from them, they will just sell it to you with the bent axles and all.

lwmcguir

Sure think it makes sense to get the snow off the roof. Thanks for bringing up the weight issue. That alone is worth noting. As far as the axles go, I am sure you are 100% correct about that statement. Merry Christmas