Ford Diesel Fuel Odor

stix-n-stamper

Stix-n-Stamper
I own a 2004 F-250 diesel. Recently have started noticing the smell of fresh diesel fuel. Seems to be worse on cold days. Any idea what might be causing it?

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Hey Stix -n- stamper,
Had a similar issue with my 7.3, If you climb up with a flashlight look into the sump area between the valve covers and you may see some fluids if so that may be the area of question, you may have a blown seal, took mine to a local tech. and he had it up and running in no time for around $100.00, and no problems since.
Good luck,
Mike

hcriddle

Stix-n-Stamper

Had the same thing a couple of weeks ago on my 2002. My mechanic said it is a valve that the low sulpher diesel eats up. Cost $90 to replace the valve.

jnbhobe

As Mike said, look at the rear of the motor on top in the right rear corner for a dripping leak. off the inside of the canister. I have had a switch leak and check the silocone hoses there too. Not a fun job but mine were on E-350s, Vans are a lot harder than trucks:eek:

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
Fuel leak

It is probaly a bad o ring on the pump. It is on the front top of the engine over the water pump in the galley between the heads. It an easy fix, jist a pain to get toan take everthing off to get to it.

lwmcguir

Check your fuel filter gasket. Cant put the old one back in so have a new filter/gasket ready. Check to be sure the drain is fully closed and not leaking as well.