My '05 Nissan Titan Crew LE and towing....

BONEMAN

Music Man
Ok, I have read SO much about towing now I'm nervous about towing so I'm needing advice...I am new to RVing and I never have owned one. I am looking in purchasing a '09,'10 or '11 North Trail 26rks travel trailer. We live in Colorado Springs so most of our camping we'll be heading up the Rocky Mountains. This is my concern, can my truck handle the mountain driving with this trailer? Of course, dealers say "yes" but.....

Truck Specs:
GVWR 6,522 lbs
140" Wheel Base
9200 lbs towing capacity
920 lb Max tongue weight
GCWR 14,822 lbs

The 26rks trailer:
Hitch weight 620 lbs
Dry Weight 5154 lbs
GVWR 6,900 lbs

I have been told to take off an est. of 20% off my towing capacity of 9200 lbs which is 7360 lbs due to the attitude of where we live in CO and where we'll be traveling. It'll be just me and the wife traveling.

Any suggestions to this "soon to be" newbie RVer?

currituck0209

Hey Boneman,
I have a 2010 28RLS NORTHTRAIL, & HAVE A TUNDRA 5.7, WITH TRANS COOLER, BUTTON FOR GEAR CHANGE WHEN TOWING. WHICH IS ABOUT THE SAME AS THE TITAN. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE, TOWS LIKE A DREAM. ALTHOUGH I DO NOT HAVE YOUR MOUNTAINS.

ralphpam

We towed a boat from Palm City Florida to LaConner Washington with our 2004 Titan and it did just fine. The boat and trailer weighed 8,500 pounds. The truck had a fiberglass bed cover and two people on board so we were towing near the limit. The truck towed it wonderfully and in the mountains of the west we ran in fourth gear except for the steep stretches were we dropped to third and kept the rpms around 3000. Doing this kept the transmission well within the proper range.
You should have no problem at all towing that trailer. We only sold the truck because we purchased a Bighorn 3670RL and got a Dodge 3500 drw to tow it.

BONEMAN

Music Man
Thanks for the comments!

I'm am pretty certain we will be joining the RV world in the beginning of the new year! Look forward to seeing North Trail owners traveling over here in the Rockies.

Thanks!

:)

PSF513

I drove an 05 Armada and towed a 30' TT for 5 years. Never had a minute's trouble except when I tried to pass a gas station. You will do just fine.

Good luck!

driver311

what kind of trucks are u all talkin about??? im not sure but i dont think they are really considered trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

driver311:angel::angel:

Two Hands

I agree with driver 311. Foreign vehicles of some sort pulling a good old American Heartland product. What is this world coming to?

BONEMAN

Music Man
Hmm, do I detect some jealousy? Hmm and from TN, let's see....isn't there a Nissan plant in TN? Happy Holidays.

irvin56

They make domestic and foreign ones up here

and ship 1/2 or more south. Does that make them oversea imports
Even if put together by north american's.?????
Now I know Canadians are different beasts. BUT!!!
I have a Honda, built in canada. I don't care where their company CEO lives.
it supports our guys and keeps them working.

Also most makes have a lot of parts made oversea's, exspecially electronic controls. so we're all diving 1/2 breeds.

By the way NT's are nice unit. I have one for 2 seasons now. great unit

tmcran

I'm not towing any RV over Red Mountain in Colorado with a gasser of any kind. Diesel or nothing!:D

BONEMAN

Music Man
Merry Christmas all. True, diesel would be undoubtedly the way to go but not an option for me at this present time. I realize I may possibly go slow up the Rockies and get 8 miles a gallon to boot, however, I really am more interested in the safety of myself and my family as well as others that are on the road while I'm pulling this thing.

driver311

how can u think u could be more safe with a fake truck than a diesel??????????????????????

driver311:angel::angel:

biggziff

My buddy towed a 30' lightweight TT (7000-8000 pounds) for 2 years with his 07 Titan crew. He had no issues, but....when he traded the Titan there were serious issues with something in the drivetrain. Noises, grinding, etc. If you're going to tow with a Titan, plan on some problems with drivetrain. They're just not built like the Ford or Chevy offerings. Read on rv.net to get similar stories.

BTW...he traded the Titan on an 09 F250 V10. He now tows a 36' Cougar bunkhouse TT. Truck yanks it around like it isn't there.