Holding Tank Question

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the discussions about not being able to utilize all the water in the fresh water tanks, and not being able to fully drain them, why is it that black and gray tanks are molded with a bottom that slopes to the outlet and fresh water tanks are rectangular boxes with no sloping floor? Looking at some of the replacement tanks online, that seems to be the norm. Why don't the fresh water tanks have a low point sump molded in with the pump and drain fittings attached there or use the same design as the waste tanks?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
John, it could be to protect the fresh water system itself. Any sediment that gets into the tank will stay at the bottom and not tear up the pump or clog stainers in the faucets. (For awhile anyway).

It would be nice to have a dedicated low point drain though. Out comes the sediment.

rick_debbie_gallant

John, it could be to protect the fresh water system itself. Any sediment that gets into the tank will stay at the bottom and not tear up the pump or clog stainers in the faucets. (For awhile anyway).

It would be nice to have a dedicated low point drain though. Out comes the sediment.

You got it. For while is right. after so long that space in the bottom will fill up with gunk and you will play heck trying to get it out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The water pump has a small sediment filter on it. You could mount a larger inline filter or a canister type filter easily. On our TT, there was a 10" canister filter between the tank and the pump, with a sediment filter in it (real PITA to change without dumping water all over inside the sink cabinet). If you could fully drain the tank, you could also flush any crud that collected, too. As it stands, based on the posts, if you sanitize your tank, you may be leaving a lot of heavily chlorinated water sitting there or risking a freeze problem in winter storage. We haven't really used our water tank (and I have not dropped the underbelly to look at it), so I don't know if I'd have a problem or not. Just askin'