Mule dear

CrazyScotsman

Well, here I sit where i deliver in the am, new school in Meeker CO. Walked into town earlier, and I thought I was on the set of the TV show Northern Exposure, only difference was instead of Moose it was Mule deer wandering the streets. I gave up counting the amount I have seen since i've been parked here, they are everywhere. Guys told me they are just like pets around here.
I had to break down and chain the truck up, thats a first in 30 years of driving a truck. They are a Royal pain in the rear to put on. Now I know why I don't want to be an ice road trucker.
Anyhoo hope they get this load of early in the am, so I can head back to MO to be with the DW for Christmas.

Last edited:

jbeletti

K2 - you gotta take a camera with you on the road so you can add pics to all this local color you find :)

Seriously - be very safe out there. Hope you make it back to Elaine by Christmas.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Ken..
Did Elaine hit you with her Iron Skillet? Calling her a mule is not a good thing to do...

My dear wife would kick me in the shins if I confused her for a herd of deer.

I saw a whole herd of Elk laying around the grounds of Old Faithful but no deer and a few dears which looked very cherry and having a good time..

BC

CrazyScotsman

Hay Ken..
Did Elaine hit you with her Iron Skillet? Calling her a mule is not a good thing to do...

My dear wife would kick me in the shins if I confused her for a herd of deer.

Bob, she hasn't hit me with the iron skillet yet. I hid it from her.
They say that there is as many Elk around here as there are Mule deer, but not seen any yet.

Jim I do have the camera with me, but the batteries died :( This Sony camera goes through batteries like I don't know what. If I use the rechargeable battery I may only be able to take 4-5 pictures then they are dead. So I just use the good old batteries with that pink rabbit beating the drum. They last a while, I do have a pack of 16 batteries here in the truck that I bought, but doofus here bought AAA instead of AA. :eek: Duhhhhhh
I really need to try and post some pics when I get home,( if I have time or remember how to do it ) I have some of my truck parked out on Navy Pier Chicago, NewFoundland Can. Nova Scotia it is such a beautiful place, reminded me of home, now I see why it is called New Scotland.
Anyhoo still sitting here , just glad I have a comfy truck with most of the comforts of home. 1 thing missing in all my travels, that is my DW. If we could find affordable health insurance, her and the dogs would be out here with me. I look forward to that day. OK sorry for rambling on.
Cheers.. Ken

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I would love to see picutres of that. I have seen TV shows of towns in Canada where moose wander around. Pretty cool to see nature that up close.

lwmcguir

You will see Moose all over Estes Park, CO as well in the fall and winter. Very Dangerous out on the roads there.

lwmcguir

More Elk than Moose in CO but enough to watch out for. The Elk are getting over populated it seems when they enter town and head for the golf course.

Netem

Ken, be careful on the way home ,you may be coming home to a white Christmas. Its supposed to be rain on my side of the state but the temps are going to be lower out your way so it could be a slippery ride home. Merry Christmas to and Elaine

CrazyScotsman

Well, I stopped in Colby KS, It is freezing fog around here, freezing rain through the night hours, meant to start snowing by afternoon.
I was tired to start with, but this fog has got my eyes heavy as can be, so it's time for a nap and get up in a few and hopefully some of the fog has lifted. I love running empty in this weather. NOT
Merry Christmas to you Neil and your DW Sharron.and we can't forget Daisy your four legged family member.

lwmcguir

We have a ranch south of there on the Smoky River. Very foggy today and you might wake up with white all around you. The heaver snow is going to go on NW but you will have some bad roads in the AM. Drive Safe and Merry Christmas.

CrazyScotsman

lwmcguir... Yep I woke up to the ground covered in white stuff. I'm going to sit here, brew a pot of coffee, get my thoughts together, then take a slow drive back to SW MO. It is days like this you wish you were grossing 80,000# instead of being empty, but hey, that's life. At least I know now how to put chains on if need be.
Anyhoo, Merry Christmas all. Ken
Now if I could only find Rudolph with his nose so brite, to help me guide my truck tonight.

jnbhobe

K2 ; Maybe you can round up a few of them mule deer and load your trailer. You'll have a little ballast then. :D :D :D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ken
Drive safe buddy. We hope you and your family have a very wonderful Christmas. May God bless you all.

BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ken2, dude that sucks. Running empty back home? You Be careful. Make sure that rubber side is down all the way. Bob:D

CrazyScotsman

Home .I made it in around 7 last night, first 4 hours on I 70 in KS was a *itch. it took 4 hours to go 120 miles, roads were really bad. Most of that 120 miles was 1 line of traffic, only 1 path on the road to follow. Only saw 2 snow plows in that 120 miles. Once past Hays KS, roads were slushy, then just wet, then temps rose, so rain the rest of the way home. At least I made it home safe.
Thanks for everyone's concern, it does mean a lot to me, knowing total strangers actually care about another person, a thing I thought was vanishing like manners these days.
Anyhoo you all have a Merry Christmas...Cheers Ken

PS. I did see a Big Horn going West through KS, tv was a white Chevy or GMC, just hope they didn't hit these bad roads ahead of them, and arrived at their destination safe.

Last edited:

2010augusta

Glad you made it home safe. I have been stranded in Hays for 3 days before waiting for I-70 to open after a ice storm, and the road was terrible once it was openned.

Netem

Ken, glad you made it home safe. Hope you and all our other Heartland friends have a Merry Christmas.