F350 Excessive Idling?

Dave012

My neighbor tells me that I shouldn't idle my F350 6.4L PowerStroke for more than a couple of minutes at a time due as it causes excessive buildup in the engine. It gets quite cold here sometimes so I sometimes warm it up for 10 minutes.

He's not just saying this because its noisy, which its not, and he also owns an F350 (2003 6.0L).

This is the first diesel I've owned so any advice is appreciated.

Dave

caissiel

I live in cold Canada and do the same. I have never Idled my cars for the last 40 Years. If it is to cold I plug it in and a diesel only heats up when it is on the road. The water is room temperature when started after plugged in. Yes my truck has a clean EGR valve and never needed cleaning.

lwmcguir

Excessive idling isn't good for any of the Navistar Diesel engines. JD-Cat and others can idle all day with no real issues. The computer kicks up your idle speed after a few minutes to minimize the problem. Some of the earlier 7.3 engines didn't have the setting in the computer, however we have idled ours for many years and didn't have any problems at all. We are still using an 89, 93, and 99 that have many hours of engine idle time on the Ranch. Still keeping the idling under 15 minutes when possible is a good thing. Our 6.0 idles fast enough after the computer ramps it up to be a minor issue. I am sure some folks may take issue with this but we have had Diesel trucks for over 40 years. Before they were common in light trucks for sure.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
unfortunately the newer deisels MUST keep more of the bad stuff inside due to environmental concerns ??????? Lucky you!

nhunter

Might not be the best thing for it. My 6.0 can idle for 10 hours a day when i am at work and it hasn't hurt it. I have a high idle switch that bumps the rpm to 1200. I have many friends with the 6.4L and theirs idle as well. I would reccomend the high idle to help keep the engine warm.

lwmcguir

My 6.0 goes to high idle via the computer and at >100K seems to still run like a new one. Our older ones idled a lot in the winter as well. I think the key is as you said the RPM for the newer engines.

lwmcguir

There were a number of computer updates for the Ford engines. If anyone hasn't had theirs updated in the last 6 months or so you will want to do that the next time you are in a Ford shop.

truknutt

Committed Member
My neighbor tells me that I shouldn't idle my F350 6.4L PowerStroke for more than a couple of minutes at a time due as it causes excessive buildup in the engine. It gets quite cold here sometimes so I sometimes warm it up for 10 minutes.

He's not just saying this because its noisy, which its not, and he also owns an F350 (2003 6.0L).

This is the first diesel I've owned so any advice is appreciated.

Dave

This is from the 2009 F-450 Diesel Supplement: (http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO9F23/~MUS~LEN/33/0960l6d1e.pdf)

"Note: Idling in cold weather will not heat the engine to its normal
operating temperature. Long periods of idling in cold weather can cause
a buildup of heavy deposits of carbon and rust on valve stems causing
them to stick, which in turn, can cause valve train damage."

2010augusta

Trucknutt, Thanks for that info. When it gets cold out I have just been plugging the block heater all night and the truck starts right up and three minutes of driving the enging temp is starting to come up. I not needed to idel for more than a couple minutes.

nhunter

My 6.0 goes to high idle via the computer and at >100K seems to still run like a new one. Our older ones idled a lot in the winter as well. I think the key is as you said the RPM for the newer engines.
As does mine but i find it inadequate for my needs as it lets it get too cold before it warms up. I use mine a mobile office and am in it all day. The 6.0 came prewired for a high idle all you need to do is add a switch.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't have a block heater on my 2006 F250. I did have a remote start installed on the truck because we travel with a dog.

In Texas it is against the law to leave the keys in the ignition switch and the vehicle unattended. We can go into a restaruant to eat leaving the dog in the truck with the A/C running so he will not get over heated. I also like to start the truck a bit before we are ready to leave. It cools the inside down or warms it up a bit. And yes the computer will kick the idle up when I start it up remotely.

I was told by a mechanic when I bought the truck not to worry if we get stuck in a bad traffic jam in the summer. Many of the gas cars would over heat while the diesel will just keep running. It likes the heat.

The only real problem I have had with the truck is the FICM had to be replaced, but this is a known problem. Read that on the Diesel Stop forum.

FWIW...
BC

lwmcguir

Regarding block heaters, all of the 6.0 engines have them. You need to spend about 90 dollars if you want to purchase the cord for it. It is located above the starter motor and just doesn't have the cord. The cord was an option and if the truck dealer didn't order it, there was none. Don't really need it for Texas weather but we sure use them in KS & NE.

Tom of Ypsi

When I lived in Michigan I very rarely plugged in my trucks. Never had a problem starting with temps -20 and the wind blowing. To make starting easier I usually turned on the ignition until the glow plug light went off then truned the key to the off position. Did this a couple of times to let the fuel in the injectiors heat up a little. Only jelling of fuel I ever had was a work truck with a Mitsubishi engine.

rick_debbie_gallant

When I lived in Michigan I very rarely plugged in my trucks. Never had a problem starting with temps -20 and the wind blowing. To make starting easier I usually turned on the ignition until the glow plug light went off then truned the key to the off position. Did this a couple of times to let the fuel in the injectiors heat up a little. Only jelling of fuel I ever had was a work truck with a Mitsubishi engine.

Dont know if it correct or not but I will let the remote starter start the engine. The way I figure it, the computer will decide when it is time to start the engine based on the engine temp, outside temp, the the temp when the glow plugs have glowed long enough. Is this a good assumption or not?

truknutt

Committed Member
Regarding block heaters, all of the 6.0 engines have them. You need to spend about 90 dollars if you want to purchase the cord for it. It is located above the starter motor and just doesn't have the cord. The cord was an option and if the truck dealer didn't order it, there was none. Don't really need it for Texas weather but we sure use them in KS & NE.

Cheaper on eBay: PowerStroke Block Heater Cord

RoadJunkie

My neighbor tells me that I shouldn't idle my F350 6.4L PowerStroke...Dave

Dave, if your truck is equipped with the optional "Upfitter" switches there is a very simple modification that will allow intelligent high-speed idling. The switches can also be added as an aftermarket modification, also a simple addition.

When high-idle is switched on, and the vehicle's transmission is set in the Park position with the parking brake set, the vehicle will idle at a higher RPM based on the requirements to keep the batteries charged. The RPMs will be controlled at 1200-ish to charge the batteries, and will reduce to 900 RPM for continuous idle.

If you wish to pursue this modification, send me a pm and I will be glad to help with documentation and my describe my experience at performing the modification.

2010augusta

Dont know if it correct or not but I will let the remote starter start the engine. The way I figure it, the computer will decide when it is time to start the engine based on the engine temp, outside temp, the the temp when the glow plugs have glowed long enough. Is this a good assumption or not?

Rick, just so you know your Dodge does not have glow plugs. The cummin's uses a heater element in the intake that heat the incoming air.