Ford PSD Owners, I Need Advice

jpmorgan37

:confused: I am a happy GMC Duramax/Allison owner but want more truck. My 2500HD does a great job of pulling and good fuel economy, is comfortable to drive/ride--but, not enough weight and stopping power in critical situations. The Brake Smart controller is super--but, eight tons pushing 2 1/2 tons doesn.t make me feel comfortable. Now that we are going full time, I want more truck. I am considering a F550 PSD RV Hauler bed. You tell me, will I love it and can I depend on it for the same trouble free service that I have with my GMC?

kognito

I recently traded my 2005 GMC CC Duramax for a F350 w/towboss. Not the same as a 550 (we did look at one modified by Tuscany out in Elkhart) but the Towboss does give me almost the same drivetrain as the 550.

I like the towcommand, it actually connects to the hydraulic system, and is without a doubt the best brake controller I have owned.

I really miss the mileage I got with the Duramax. Going from 3.73 gears to 4.30 makes a big difference in mileage. (especially when not towing)

Are you going to get 4.30 gears or the 4.88 ?? (4.30 = 26,000 CGVWR, 4.88 = 32,000) In my state, anything over 26000 requires a CDL

If you check out their website, Tuscany make a very nice hauler

Edit: I miss my indash XM radio :)

jpmorgan37

What state are you in that requires a CDL for 26,000 rating? I hadn't even thought about that. Anyway, I am getting the 4.88 gearing and I know that I'll take a hit on fuel mileage. I currently get 11.5 towing and anywhere from 19 to 22 cruising. 16 average just around town. What are you getting towing? The hauler bed that I am looking at is by The Utility Bodywerks--Elite, in Elkhart. Plenty of storage and made out of Aluminum so should help with the "Weight Police". Thanks for the feedback.
John

jpmorgan37

Actually, I started looking at the Topkick and the Kodiak but I found a super deal on the F550 so I figured, why not. But, with that being said, now I need any input that I can get from drivers that have experience with them. What should I be aware of, look out for, expect, unusual or unexpected service issues and stuff like that.
Thanks,
John

jpmorgan37

kognito;
We used to live there. South Jersey. Left in 1988. I can live with the mileage. Diesel just went to $3.14 today here in Minnesota. Oh well, I won't worry about it as long as the Social Security checks keep coming. It pays the fuel bill. Life is good.
John

nhunter

I have an 04 F-350. This is my 4th Ford with 600000km or 375000m between the 4. The 6.0l is the only one that ever needed an injector changed (9 of them), 3 transfer cases, 8 batteries and the list goes on. But the good news is that the 05's and 06's seem to have most of the bugs worked out just in time for the 2008 6.4l twin turbo. The ford rides a little rougher than a GM BUT they can pull/ carry more. As for fuel economy I get 14 empty and 8mpg while towing Bighorn 3600RL with a 3.73 rear end. My friend has an 03 with a 12" lift and 44" tires and get 18mpg empty. Don't know why the mileage difference? I figure one bad truck out of 4 ain't bad.

kognito

jpmorgan37 said:
kognito;
We used to live there. South Jersey. Left in 1988. I can live with the mileage. Diesel just went to $3.14 today here in Minnesota. Oh well, I won't worry about it as long as the Social Security checks keep coming. It pays the fuel bill. Life is good.
John

I only have 4K miles on mine. not broken in yet, so maybe the milage will go up a little. I did add a TransferFlow Tank /with tool box so I can carry about 80 gallons of diesel. filled up yesterday at 2.77 a gallon. (68 gallons. . .you do the math:eek: ) we plan on going fulltime next year, and I wanted extra tank and tool storage.

nhunter

Depending on your budget I think the smaller Internationals (3 or 4 in the XT series) or a smaller Freightliner might be a more capable truck as the F-550 still has the 6.0l and essentially the same driveline as an F-350 and 450

jpmorgan37

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll find out. I made the deal today so I'll keep you posted. At any rate, I will have a truck that won't get me stopped by the weight police and hopefully the turbos will hold up. I had heard about the turbo problems from others but the overall feeling was high EGT's, so that will be one addition that I will have is an EGT gauge. Anybody looking for a nice 2004 GMC 2500HD ext cab, D/A, 4x4?

jpmorgan37

Hi Ron;
Thanks for the good luck wish. Do you know what most of the turbo problems were attributed to? Is my info on the EGT's good or do you know something else. I have a fair amount of background in motorcycle turbos in years past but other than my Duramax, nothing current other than hearsay.

John

nhunter

From what my service manager told me most of the turbo problems are to do with the sensor that control the pitch of the turbo fins as Ford uses a variable pitch turbo(similar to early porsche I believe, but not as successful). Any who, you can still run with the turbo like this but there is a real lack of power. When mine went the top speed I could get with just the truck was 90km/h or 55mph. This is one of the reasons that the new 6.4l will be twin turbo which might just create another problem!

K

Ken Washington

Can someone tell me what the prices are for the NXT's. They sure look nice!
Ken

svd

Ken,
Thought I read somewhere they would start around $79k, but I couldn't remember where I read that.

svd

John,
I have a friend with an 03' and he was told he didn't drive it enough :confused: , he only has around 18k miles on it. As Nhunter said above, the variable turbo then freezes up. I think he has had 3 different turbos installed. He was told that particular problem was solved in the later years (05-06) with a new turbo design, that could not be adapted to the older 03 engine.