New 2010 3914 problems/questions

donkey

Just took delivery of a new 2010 3914 on Dec.27th. Couple of weid things to question.

First, there is no sub and amp at all in our trailer. We did order the A/V Metal package (which looked standard anyway by the order sheet) We are about 15 hours away from the dealership we purchased the unit from (we are in Canada) and didn't notice it was missing when we took ownership. Was there a running change to not include it? or was it just missed? I can't beleive a toyhauler this expensive doesn't have an amp/sub in it.

Second, there is a black holding tank gauge in the garage. This model doesn't have a second bathroom in the garage so is there two holding tanks or is there two gauges for the same tank? in our model research I never seen any info about two tanks for this model, is this a new feature that was changed?

Third, we ordered the heat pump option but found that we cannot operate both the furnace and the heat pump at the same time. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but the furnace puts out little to no heat in the bedroom so we were thinking that running both would help the freezing bedroom problems.

Mike, or anybody else - have any suggestions on any of these issues we are seeing so far.

Thanks from new Cyclone owners.

jimtoo

Hi donkey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

If you just got your unit, evidently the dealer did not do a very good PDI with you. You should have gotten the grand tour, being shown the operation of every item in the coach. From the water system to the drain system and all the electronics.

Hopefully someone with the same unit will jump in here and help also. I think the factory is shut down until after the 4th or something like that. But you should get some answers soon.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
There was a running change (around August) that eliminated the sub and amp on some models in lieu of other changes.

Why exactly can't you use the "heat pump"? Two totally different systems.

Heat pumps were not an option for a while because of the fire at the Dometic Plant.
When I ordered my trailer (June 2009) I was told it would not be offered anymore. I put heat strips in and can use them with the furnace.

Keep in mind, a heat pump will not work well much below 45. They work by trying to take "heat" out of the air, the colder the air, the less heat to recover.

"A heat pump works by means of a reversing valve. When you want air conditioning, the valve reverses and pulls the hot air from the home, through the compressor and coils and deposits the hot air outside of the home. When you want heat (provided the outside temp. is high enough to contain heat,) the valve reverses and pull the outside air through the compressor and coil into the house. This is all possible because of a very low boiling point liquid in the lines".

donkey

Thanks Porthole - i wasn't 100% clear on the operation of the heat pump option.

All I knew was that it was able to make heat and this heat would go through the roof ac vents, therefore actually having ducted heat through the roof vents in the garage. (which I thought would be important since there is no ducted heat in the garage)

The audio system deal pi**es me off then. Having a kick butt stereo is kinda par for the coarse in this class of toyhaulers. Everything from the ordersheets to the specs and videos rave about the soundsystem.

The change was never mentioned and the system is frankly quite bland without it. The dealer/customer service is definitely going to here about it.

Thanks for any insite.

porthole

Retired
There is only one duct vent in the garage in my trailer (3010).
No way would I expect to heat the garage with either a heat pump or heat strip. It needs a duct from the furnace or electric heaters.
My garage is only 80 square feet, yours is 112. That's asking a lot form a heat pump only.

Last edited:

Yianni

Thanks Porthole - i wasn't 100% clear on the operation of the heat pump option.

All I knew was that it was able to make heat and this heat would go through the roof ac vents, therefore actually having ducted heat through the roof vents in the garage. (which I thought would be important since there is no ducted heat in the garage)

The audio system deal pi**es me off then. Having a kick butt stereo is kinda par for the coarse in this class of toyhaulers. Everything from the ordersheets to the specs and videos rave about the soundsystem.

The change was never mentioned and the system is frankly quite bland without it. The dealer/customer service is definitely going to here about it.

Thanks for any insite.

They did away with the sub and amp but gave you some things that were not there before. You gained speakers in the garage and a control panel under the tv to switch the speakers easily from room to room. It was quite a hassle before. Your probably better off adding your own sound system the way you like it.
Enjoy the new Cyclone.

donkey

Your right Porthole, one duct is not enough in the garage - for the heat pump or the ac. Anyway, we weren't aware of the "one duct shortcoming" in the garage either.

All stuff you don't realize till after you use it -thanks again.

porthole

Retired
Garages are tricky - because of the gasoline and other chems that could be in there. That is the main reason for no furnace vent.

smday

On my 2011 3850 the dealer sent me pictures and my garage has the ducted heat. As for the sub and amp when I was at the factory in October they said they were stopping installing them because of some customer complaints of being to boomy and rattling. I like good sound systems but if I have to hear the stove top rattle all the time it sounds like crap.

PUG

Pug
I have a 3950 that has the bathroom and w/d in garage so I have a grey and black tank in the rear of the trl. Where you don't have either I don't know why you would have a tank there. Crawl underneath and pull a little of your black stuff down and peek up in there to see what is going on.

Yianni

Yup, heat in garage now. Missed it on mine by a month so I'm in the process of doing it now. The factory heat is mounted in the wall and not on a register in the floor. I'm setting mine up the same way, with a wall register.

Jellystone

Donkey, congratulations on your new Cyclone. I'm sure that once the "issues" get worked out, y'all will really enjoy that camper. We have the Road Warrior which is very similar to the Cyclone. Ours came w/the amp,sub woofer, cd/dvd/am/fm/receiver, 2 external speakers, and 4 inside speakers in the living area ceiling. It sounds terrific at any volume. Ours has no heat vent in the garage area but the 2 vents in the living area do a fine job of warming the garage as long as the slideing glass patio door is in the open position. We just got back from camping over the last 3 days and temps dipped to around 28 overnight and the whole 5th wheel was warm and toasty including the garage area where my two children slept on their queen bunk beds. The Road Warrior has a total of 3 holding tanks. One black tank and two gray tanks. One of the gray tanks holds from the shower and sink in the bathroom and the other gray tank holds from the kitchen sink. I hope some of this info is useful to you. Enjoy the new Cyclone and i'm sure that your dealer and Heartland will make everything right for you.

porthole

Retired
Yup, heat in garage now. Missed it on mine by a month so I'm in the process of doing it now. The factory heat is mounted in the wall and not on a register in the floor. I'm setting mine up the same way, with a wall register.

Louis - are documenting and taking pictures?

You know that is a condition of maintaining status in the community here :D

donkey

Thanks guys for your replys/thoughts. I know it is minor stuff that i will have to fix/sort out myself. I will follow this thread with any updates or fixes that i do so others can do the same. Thanks, Derek.

MystrMagic

Magician
3914 holding tanks

Hello Donkey. Coincidentally, I took delivery of my 2009 3914 just about two weeks before you received yours. Had the dealer install a washer/dryer combo and was originally told they would have to plumb for it but upon arrival to take delivery learned that the factory had already plumbed for the washer/dryer. So, I actually have four holding tanks... one black water, one gray water for the bathroom (shower/sink), one gray water for the kitchen and one gray water for the washer/dryer.

That's probably the same on your 2010 model. You should notice three of your dump valves are located together (black & the first two grays) and the fourth dump valve is at the forward edge of the garage, just under the washer/dryer compartment, on the outside wall, driver's side. If you don't have a washer/dryer combo you may have an extra refrigerator in that compartment (beautifully located underneath the "real" stairs leading to the loft) but the plumbing is probably there for the washer/dryer in case you decide to switch out for one in the future.

I don't have a heat pump but do have two air conditioners so cooling isn't a problem. However, I agree with you on the heating of the bedroom. Virtually no heat comes from the register in the master bedroom and almost all of the heat comes from the register next to the entertainment center. I spoke with a local dealer who said there is no control on the registers to prevent users from blocking the flow and creating a backpressure problem with the furnace. He said most people "throw a rug over one or two of the registers to force air where you want it." Sounds to me like that could also cause problems but it appears necessary to get additional heat into the master bedroom in a timely fashion.

You would think such an outstanding company like Heartland would come up with register flow controls that would limit the airflow by a maximum of 30-40%, thereby redirecting the flow but preventing the potential backpressure problem. Doesn't help you or me now though.

As for the amp... yep, I've got one. But frankly, I don't care for it. Puts out great sound, don't get me wrong, but I think it detracts from the interior beauty. Surprised me that they mounted it right there in the open, underneath the TV. At first I thought it was a power inverter!

All in all, I think the 3914 is an awesome piece of equipment and I am very pleased with mine. Intend to use it primarily for work travel as I am not retired yet... just tired!

Welcome to the Cyclone family. Perhaps our paths will cross someday.

porthole

Retired
As for the amp... yep, I've got one. But frankly, I don't care for it. Puts out great sound, don't get me wrong, but I think it detracts from the interior beauty. Surprised me that they mounted it right there in the open, underneath the TV. At first I thought it was a power inverter!

Personally, if it was available I would have ordered mine without the fancy schmacy amp and sub woofer and replaced it with either a fake fireplace or cabinets.

So -are you a magician as the moniker suggests?

Yianni

Louis - are documenting and taking pictures?

You know that is a condition of maintaining status in the community here :D

Duane,
Sorry I missed this post. Yes I have all the parts on order ($40.00 inc. shipping) and will take pictures of work.

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello Porthole. Yes, as a matter of fact I am a magician. My parents and I also own a magic shop in southern Arizona. Gave up public performing years ago and now sell to all those who do perform. I demonstrate in our shop every day and occasionally attend magic conventions and/or magic club meetings around the country.

This is the real reason I bought the 3914... so I could build out shelving in the garage to carry inventory, yet still be comfortable on the road in my own place instead of hotel rooms.

Right now I'm in the process of building all the shelves/racks and hope to get on the road in a couple of months.

Since I'm new to the RV lifestyle I check in here on the forum once in a while to see what new information I can glean specifically regarding the 3914. That's why this particular thread caught my eye and I figured I'd offer some comments to Donkey.

Looking forward to meeting many of you folks (RVers) I've heard so much about.

jimtoo

Hello Porthole. Yes, as a matter of fact I am a magician. My parents and I also own a magic shop in southern Arizona. Gave up public performing years ago and now sell to all those who do perform. I demonstrate in our shop every day and occasionally attend magic conventions and/or magic club meetings around the country.

This is the real reason I bought the 3914... so I could build out shelving in the garage to carry inventory, yet still be comfortable on the road in my own place instead of hotel rooms.

Right now I'm in the process of building all the shelves/racks and hope to get on the road in a couple of months.

Since I'm new to the RV lifestyle I check in here on the forum once in a while to see what new information I can glean specifically regarding the 3914. That's why this particular thread caught my eye and I figured I'd offer some comments to Donkey.

Looking forward to meeting many of you folks (RVers) I've heard so much about.

HI MystrMagic,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share.

If you need anything, just ask, someone is always nearby with an answer, and usually a good one.

Enjoy the forum and check in often. Try to get to a rally in your area or when your are traveling and there is one close by.

Jim M