Are the grey water tanks connected?

slaytop

One tank fills quicker than the other when we are parked in a site without sewer. Are the two tanks connected in some manner to permit the overflow from one to go into the other if one fills up first.

Tom of Ypsi

My tanks are not connected. One tank always seems to fill up faster than the other depending on the camping situation I am in. If I notice the kitchen tank filling up quicker The DW takes her dishwashing water which is usually in a rubbermaid container and dumps it down the black tank. So far has worked good for us and the extra water in black tank helps keep it cleaner.

jpmorgan37

Good Morning Slaytop,
Our tanks are not connected. I have seen the full light come on the panel and still be able to go for several days before the tank is actually full (as in the shower quits draining). I haven't tried it with the kitchen tank (my #2 gray tank) to see just how far we could go after it shows full. I won't recommend this but, with the sewer cap on, open both gray water valves and they should equalize. You'll have a spill when you take the cap off unless you have a gate valve at the sewer dump outlet. You can get them at Campers World.
John

ChopperBill

I bought a marine 12v pump at Harbor Freight for about $40. It has garden hose connections. Going to use it to transport fresh water to my tank when on extended dry camping trips. So this came to thought. Get one of those sewer caps that has the water hose connector built on and connect up to the pump. Open the gate valve that has the most water in the tank and transfer it to the drain that goes to the emptiest tank (probably the galley sink). Close the gate valve when you are happy with the results while the pump is still running. There shouldn't be a lot of grey water escape.

Paul & Nan

Or get one of those blue portable dump thanks and haul your excess to the dump station. We have done that when on an extended stay. Nan

slaytop

Thanks for your responses. I get a bit nervous when I have another day to go and one of the tanks is filling up. I like the idea to equalize the tanks by using the dump valves. I have an extra valve on the outlet that will permit that method. I should get a dump tank also.

jbeletti

Larry,

If you end up trying John's "gray tank equalization", please let us know if it works. I have had times where I could have equalized and eeked out a bit more time.

Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
It isn't necessary to use the pump to equalize the gray water tanks. If you put the gate valve on the outlet as suggested earlier, you can open both gray water valves and the tanks equilize through the drain system.

As I said earlier you do need the gate valve on the output. When you get ready to dump you close both gray water valves and then open the gate valve at the outlet. Once the drain pipe is empty you can drain the black water tank and than the gray water tanks as normal.