Cheap Steps

landp

At best the steps on my trailer are functional and at worst they are painful to use. I was also worried the steps would get a layer of ice on them and my wife would take a fall while using them. I looked at a few sets that I could purchase and they cost between $600 to $1000 and I wanted something cheaper

So I went to lowers and purchase precut stringers and precut steps. Well here is a pic of the results. I wish there was a landing but for less than $60 they work great.

Attachments

• steps.JPG
    steps.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 213

truknutt

Committed Member
If you're worried about ice on the steps, I would either add some anti-skid strips to those pressure treated boards or paint them with sand mixed in for texture.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
paint them with sand mixed in for texture.

Hay that is an old Navy trick..
All the deck treads were made of an asphalt type paint (dark gray of course) then sand spread over it, let dry, brushed the excess off, then painted a light gray paint. It works on metal deck at sea..

BC

truknutt

Committed Member
My Grandparents owned & operated a small summer "resort" in the Adirondacks when I was a youngun. All the docks and steps & porches leading into the cabins were painted "Haze Gray" with a touch of sand for safety!!

landp

If you're worried about ice on the steps, I would either add some anti-skid strips to those pressure treated boards or paint them with sand mixed in for texture.

Great ideal. I will add that to my list for this week end.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Would you mind taking a side view photo and posting that please? I would like to see how these could be made to take apart for travel and re-assemble on-site with few if any tools. Don't know if it will work, but maybe ...
Kristy

PSF513

Built my own some time ago. Not exactly like yours but similar. I think it was one of the better improvements I made to our 5er.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Would you mind taking a side view photo and posting that please? I would like to see how these could be made to take apart for travel and re-assemble on-site with few if any tools. Don't know if it will work, but maybe ...
Kristy
Kristy, The steps were made using a pair of pre-cut 5 step stringers and 2 X 10 boards as treads. I don't remember the exact dimension of the rear legs (closest to trailer) but it would vary with the trailer height. They can be screwed together in about 10 minutes once you have the treads cut to length. Ours are 30 inches wide. We also covered ours with carpet pieces stapled to the treads. Treated lumber is of course heavier than plain old pine but will last longer in wet weather. The dissassembled steps fit flat on the floor of our trucks bed in front of the hitch. There is a folding 4 step set available from Lippert as long as you have the correct measurement in the opening for the steps but I'm not sure of the cost. The 4 step set has a lesser rise and the step is deeper front to back for better footing. They also seem to flex less when the big guys (me) use them.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been using the exact same steps as Geeksrus and use them almost everywhere we go. They are easy to set up and the feet are adjustable for uneven ground.