PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Caulking

Two Hands
12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
The caulking like material along the top of my plastic wheel flairs is cracked. I say caulking like because it might be caulking tape, which I have heard about, but never seen and I say flairs (flares?) because I don't know what else to call them. To repair this must I remove the caulk/tape or should I leave it in place and try to caulk/tape over it.

jmgratz
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I think this caulk tape is called Butal (sic) tape. It comes in a roll and the caulk is rolled up with each layer of caulk being separated by paper. You can buy it a most well stocked RV stores or larger hardware stores. It is easy to store and easy to use.

Two Hands
12-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the information. Sounds good. Should I try to remove whatever is there now, and if so, how. Or should I put the caulking tape over the old? On my travel trailer I removed black stained caulk and the the aluminum siding popped out. Repair guy said the piece had been cut too short at the factory. The factory said no way so I put out some big bucks for that repair.

jmgratz
12-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Really anytime you recaulk you should remove the old caulk first. Many times the new caulk will not stick very good over old caulk. I would try to remove what you could without making the problem worse. Then recaulk and keep and eye on it. Good luck

cliffbuilt
12-29-2009, 12:31 AM
The caulking like material along the top of my plastic wheel flairs is cracked. I say caulking like because it might be caulking tape, which I have heard about, but never seen and I say flairs (flares?) because I don't know what else to call them. To repair this must I remove the caulk/tape or should I leave it in place and try to caulk/tape over it.

Two Hands: I would check with the service mgr. at you dealership to identify the proper material / technique for this repair they are usually very helpful / knowledgeable. As jmgratz said cleaning off the old is very important. the service dept. should also stock the proper solvent & tool for removal.

Good luck, :D

Cliff