Cracked Caulking

Two Hands

The caulking like material along the top of my plastic wheel flairs is cracked. I say caulking like because it might be caulking tape, which I have heard about, but never seen and I say flairs (flares?) because I don't know what else to call them. To repair this must I remove the caulk/tape or should I leave it in place and try to caulk/tape over it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think this caulk tape is called Butal (sic) tape. It comes in a roll and the caulk is rolled up with each layer of caulk being separated by paper. You can buy it a most well stocked RV stores or larger hardware stores. It is easy to store and easy to use.

Two Hands

Thanks for the information. Sounds good. Should I try to remove whatever is there now, and if so, how. Or should I put the caulking tape over the old? On my travel trailer I removed black stained caulk and the the aluminum siding popped out. Repair guy said the piece had been cut too short at the factory. The factory said no way so I put out some big bucks for that repair.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Really anytime you recaulk you should remove the old caulk first. Many times the new caulk will not stick very good over old caulk. I would try to remove what you could without making the problem worse. Then recaulk and keep and eye on it. Good luck

cliffbuilt

The caulking like material along the top of my plastic wheel flairs is cracked. I say caulking like because it might be caulking tape, which I have heard about, but never seen and I say flairs (flares?) because I don't know what else to call them. To repair this must I remove the caulk/tape or should I leave it in place and try to caulk/tape over it.

Two Hands: I would check with the service mgr. at you dealership to identify the proper material / technique for this repair they are usually very helpful / knowledgeable. As jmgratz said cleaning off the old is very important. the service dept. should also stock the proper solvent & tool for removal.

Good luck, :D

Cliff