Gas mileage?

nemebean

I've been looking at small travel trailers to tow behind my Jeep Liberty w/towing package, and because I'm 6'5" I find the Edge's interior height very attractive. TBD whether I'm going to be able to swing the higher price (incidentally, is the MSRP ever going to be updated?), but my biggest question right now is with regard to towing the larger profile that comes with the larger interior.

I know everyone has different ideas of what towing acceptably well means, so I thought that since aerodynamics is the biggest factor in towing gas mileage, finding out what kind of mpg (no relation to the new Heartland product line;)) people are getting towing their Edges would be helpful. This way I can compare to what I've been able to find for the other trailers I've considered, and decide how much, if at all, harder the Edge will be to tow. Thanks in advance.

dgoy

I own a Edge M18 which replaced a Fleetwood Lynx 1906 hybrid trailer. The Lynx was 1 foot lower than the M18 and the weight equal. According to the Toyota 4Runner's computer, the gas consumption was the same pulling both trailers, which is about 85% more than driving without a trailer. Hope this helps.

nemebean

Thanks, that sounds promising. If I only use 85% more gas towing I will be thrilled - I've been kind of assuming gas consumption would at least double and I was afraid the Edge might be even worse than that.

Just for reference, what size engine do you have in the 4Runner?

dgoy

This 4runner is equipped with a 4.7 V8. You may want to see if Jeep has a total frontal area rating listed in their towing guides. Trailer weight rating is important for starting and stopping, but the total frontal area rating is equally important when at cruising speed. I see that Ford has started to list the total frontal area their towing guides.

nemebean

Ah, a V8. That explains the better mileage.

I hadn't previously been able to find the frontal area restriction for the Liberty, but finally I figured out where they hid it. They don't list it anywhere on the web site in the towing guide or vehicle specs, but if you click on the "Request a brochure" button it's in the PDF you get. The max frontal area is only 64 sq. ft. and just doing the math based on the web site the Edge would be too large. 9'10" x 7'6" is almost 74 sq ft, but I still have a doubt: does the 9'10" include the air conditioner and other paraphernalia on the roof, and how much effect does the curved roof have on the frontal area? Also, I assume you get to subtract the height from the ground to the bottom of the body (or not?).

Maybe this is a question for the "Ask the factory" forum. Might make my decision very easy, unfortunately.:confused:

caissiel

Most trailers do incude the Airconditioner, so as to make it still 64 Sq Ft mine is 12' 11" and the road limits are 13' 6" now figure if the a/c was extra