GFCI breaker in bathroom

rvhomecamp

I have a GFCI breaker next to the bathroom sink that seems to only pop when the ice maker is going through it's cycle. When it does the refrigerator shuts down and changes over to gas. I also lose power to the outlet in the commode room and the outlets above the kitchen sink. As long as I leave to ice maker off, we have no problems.

Why would the ice maker/refrigerator go through the bathroom GFCI?

Any suggestions on how to correct it?

Dan
RVhomecamp

2009 Bighorn 3055RL

branson4020

Icantre Member
The refrigerator, along with all the other kitchen outlets, bathroom outlets and exterior outlets are all on that one GFCI-protected circuit. Just because the GFCI is located in the bathroom, it doesn't mean its intended just for that area. It could just as easily have been installed in the basement, for example. You may have a bad GFCI, but I'm betting the ice maker is faulty or improperly installed, in which case the GFCI is doing its job.

jvblade

Canadian Member
I agree with Bob that there appears something amiss with the icemaker. It may have a ground fault only when the relay for the ice maker kicks in. GFCI's are very sensitive and will trip long before a circuit breaker does lessening the damage done. Best to have a service guy look at.

As to why they put the fridge on the GFCI doesn't make sense to me unless someone is poking around in the back of the fridge while standing in a puddle of water! ;)

lwmcguir

GFIC's fail as well. Might be worth changing it out to see if it still trips. My ice maker works on 12volt as it will make ice when not hooked into shore power and on propane. The solenoid's for the water and ice are 12V as well. The heater for the ammonia seems to be the only thing that is 120V on our fridge.

Mainah

GFCI's are not for over current protection like a breaker is. They interrupt the circuit if they sense a current imbalance between the hot and neutral wires. If there is an imbalance it means the current is going somewhere else instead of back to the breaker panel then to ground.