Kitchen and living room light switch.

ChopperBill

Hard to find things that are not up to my liking inside our new 3055. One is I would like to see the switch's for the kitchen an living room lights outside the closet door. If possible it could be double switched. One from just inside the entrance and one in the hall way between the bedroom and kitchen. On an extremely dark night I almost took a tumble coming from the bedroom to the kitchen. It may be something that I can work on to more personalize our coach. Since then I added one of those round battery operated lights, made for closets and such in the hall way. That may cure my dark night problem.

jpmorgan37

Bill;
You need to look at the Aisle lights in the Landmark. Boy, do we love them. It takes the worry out of staggering around in the dark. That is one of Heartlands best ideas yet.
John

Deb

Deb
We put four night lights in our 3055 and it works great. One is inside the closet and we have the door almost closed. Another one in the toilet room. One under the kitchen cab near the curb side. And the last one between the sofa and kitchen table. With all this we have a nice soft glow all over the coach all night.

Deb

jbeletti

nhunter,

I like your thinking. I am waiting for a wall panel to come loose so I can get a crown stapler to use with my compressor. Already have the 2" brad nailer. Hey, I needed it. Some trim came loose :D

ChopperBill

Those night lights don't work too good when we are dry camping and I don't leave the inverter running when we aren't using it.
Glad to see ya around again Deb!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
LED lights

I just replaced some of the lamps (bulbs) with LED lamps. You can get them in different light levels. They are a direct replacement. The current draw is so low that they can be on all the time as a night light. Never had a problem dry camping. Also for a little wild, they come in blue, yellow, green, red, etc. This is cool for the outdoor lights.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
There a number of web sites that sell them. I made my own for my lights. The best way is to get the type that are a socket (end of the standard lamp) and a PC board with a cluster of LED mounted on. That way the cluster to LED can be mounted in the direction of the light and not just where the socket is pointing. Large number of options here. Also the LEDs are cool to the touch, will not melt the plastic lens.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Added switches

ChopperBill,
I felt the same way about the light switches so I added another set just above my thermostat in the hallway to the bedroom. They are wired in series with the switches in the utility closet. I purchased another set of switches from Heartland just like the switches at the bathroom sink. I will try to attach a link so you can see a picture. I also wired the outside porch light to these switches.

Hope this help,

Mark

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrcomer2000/detail?.dir=a18e&.dnm=6a78.jpg&.src=ph

ChopperBill

Great idea! had something like that in mind. How hard was it to feed the wires over from the original kit/liv switch? Are those switches available from any local dealer?

dennylm

Moving living room and dining room switches to hallway

I second the motion that this is a great idea! Whoever thought up the idea of having to step down into a dark room and open a closet door to turn on the lights!

Mark, I tried to look at your photos but was told that Yahoo Photos is no longer in use and that Yahoo recommends Flickr. Is there any way I can see them?

Also, how in the world did you get INTO that area behind the switch panel?

Thanks!

Denny

tdharley

I did that mod awhile ago.

I installed 2 3ways for the living area lights. One turns on at the bottom of the entrance steps & the other is pictured below.

I also relocated the bath switch into the bath room and added a fan switch. Added a switch next to the bed for the slide out lights.

Attachments

• P3250209.JPG
    P3250209.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 85
  • P3250210.JPG
    P3250210.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 101

dennylm

I need the "inside" story.

Ah, that's beautiful tdharley! Tell me please:
1. What is the guage plugged into the outlet?
2. What is the black box above the switches?
3. How did you gain access behind that wall?
4. Are the rocker switches simply 110v household switches?

Thanks! I'm anxious to get'r done!

Denny

ChopperBill

Did the same to ours but so no need for a double switch. I used the hole in the closet for our electric awning switch. You can access the area behind the closet by removing the storage shelf in the bathroom, only 4 screw. Easy to get to most things from there.

tdharley

dennylm said:
Ah, that's beautiful tdharley! Tell me please:
1. What is the guage plugged into the outlet?
2. What is the black box above the switches?
3. How did you gain access behind that wall?
4. Are the rocker switches simply 110v household switches?

1. A needle volt meter, I have since bought a digital one for accuracy.
2. The remote for my Xantrex inveter
3. One picture shows the side wall panel removed, it was stapled in. I used a electric snake behind the wall and dropped straight down to the circut panel.
4. Yes simple Decora switches purchased from Home Depot. I liked those since they did not stick out of the wall to catch passerbys.

I used a 3 way on the LR lights, one at the bedroom stairway and one at the entrance door. I love the one at the entrance door when you walkin.

Attachments

• cabinet.JPG
    cabinet.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 56
  • closet panel side 1.JPG
    closet panel side 1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 55

Mels Musty Music

OK - I thought I knew something about wiring but after trying for 2 years to get a 3 way switch in my house to work (with no success) I will admit I need help.
I have added a ceiling light fixture just outsde the bathroom door as we got tired of going into the bedroom in the dark and having to reach around the corner to turn on a light. I mounted a single switch above the Fantastic Fan control for it but after reading this would like to make it a triple switch and add the kitchen and living area ceiling light switches too. I know how to get to the back of the existing switches in the closet but how do you wire them in series so that both switches will work? Can I use the same type switch thats in the closet?
Appeciate anybodies advice.
Hank

Attachments

• 100_1809.jpg
    100_1809.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_1808.jpg
    100_1808.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 39

jimtoo

I guess I need to read better before posting,,, forget what I had here if you saw it... I thought you were wanting to install a second switch for the light.. forget it I was just rambling on.. Duh.. OK.. Now... We have a 3055RL also, and I moved the living room and kitchen switches from little entry closet to just above thermostat at steps. I removed the cabinet from pot room to access wiring and was able to move wiring and switch without to much problem. It is a lot easier to turn on the lights now. I covered the old location hole with blank cover.