New Truck? Need your Options.....

Gzopete

Happy Member
Howdy All,

Well the wife said She would feel more comfortable with a 4x4 then with our current TV. I knew this day would come but not this soon.

We have the Cyclone which has a max weight of 18k I would like to be able to load the trailer up if I needed to.

So I would like to go with the GMC 3500 but it only has a max fifth wheel towing capacity of 15,900# which is only 400# over what we have now. Granted we don't have four wheel drive. We could of used it this last trip.

Question to all you GMC owners out there would you feel comfortable towing 18k with that truck? Or anywhere near that weight?

I would really like to stick with the GM brand they have taken care of there product and stood behind it. :D

Second Option we go with the Dodge 3500 Mega Cab I do have a growing family and would like the extra room for the kids and the reclining back seat is a plus. The towing capacity is 17,000# which is a lot closer to 18k then 15,900#

So same question to all you Dodge fans would you tow a 18k trailer with your 3500 and feel comfortable doing it? Or anywhere near that weight? I have never owned a Dodge so this is new to me. People that own them seem pretty happy with them.

caissiel

We camp a lot away from campground, and not always on good hard parking surfaces. I have a lot of experiences of parking my Unit where the rear wheels would tear the turf without locking the front hubs. I use 2 x 6 blocking to level my trailer and above 2 high on one wheel I have to use my 4 x 4 in order not to spin the rear wheels on the ground. The hitch weight on this unit has less weight then the previous trailer and the 4 x 4 is required more often. With the front wheels locked its like traction control, one wheel will spin much less so all 4 wheels can track much better. I hauled a 11000 lbs trailer with a 8600 Lbs trailer capacity GM truck for 9 years it worked perfectly at the time. Heated a bit more then the Ford SD in the hills but I drove it for what it could do. Just my 2 Cent worth.

Delaine and Lindy

I have owned GMC/Chevy 3500HDs with all options and their weight was always between 8,150 to 8,560 and if you add 18,000 lbs you will be over 26,000 lbs for sure. I really think you will have to get a HDT/MDT to handle the weight. But thats just my opinion. About 60 to 70 persent of RVer's tow over either the Pin weight or the GVWR, I will say you have a excellent and a proven Combo in the Duramax/Allison but you will be over the rating for the 3500HD's. GBY.....

2010augusta

If you want a D-max or a GM product why not get yourself a TopKick or a Kodiak 4500, 5500. sure they don't look like a regular pickup, but they are made to tow the heavy loads.

caissiel

Just me but the F450's have the same power and torque as the F350, the DMax is cut back on the 450's, If I'm I right.

Jellystone

Gzopete, just a friendly piece of advice--Do not ever exceed safe towing weight ratings. If your trailer has a gvw of 18,000 lbs then you need a vehicle that can safely tow/and stop that weight. Also don't forget about gcwr--total weight of TV and trailer combined. A lot of people tow more than they should and get away with no problems, but just find out about the folks that do not get away w/ doing it (horrible loss of life,property, and even negligent liability in civil suits when all is said and done after the accident). Protect your family, other motorists, and your beautiful 5th wheel by towing safely.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Gzopete
Hi Steve
See that you don't need no stinkin' cell phones either. Are you comeing to Quartzfest or Yuma hamfest??
VE7HRA

caissiel

Most trucks are rated by the heat capacity of the engine powertrain combination, I had a small standard truck rated for 2000Lbs and the same automatic truck was rated for 5600 lbs trailer. I towed the 5600 lbs trailer quit well with no problem at all. My GM diesel was rated for 8600Lbs and the 454CI GM was rated for 12000Lbs and the only difference was the Engine, same tranny and brakes. The 2005 F250 Brakes are 20% bigger then the 2004, and they are rated higher and they have 17" wheels compared to 16" and better cooling. I have read that the earlier GM's are rated lower because they are poor in cooling capacity. the newer ones are rated as high as the Fords with the same brake disc size as the 2004 Fords due to the 16" wheel sizes. So rating has many factors that come to play. I prefer Ford due to the complete truck weight empty, brake sizes and cooling capacity. On mine anyway. I am glad now I did not buy a GM when I did get the Ford as the rating is lower.

caissiel

I stand corrected, might be why the tow rating has been upped. The Power train surely has not changed much from the SD's.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check the rating of the 2010 F350 dually FX4. !8000 lbs. But you would probably be best with a F450. With the standard bed you can't tell the difference from the F350. Just a heavier towing capacity. The Ford does have a heavier rating than the GM truck. BTW I don't think GM makes the Kodiak truck any longer so if that is what you want it would have to be used.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here's an online ordering sheet for a 2009 Kodiak, 4wd crewcab w/19,500 lbs. (8845 kg) or 21,500 lbs. (9750 kg) GVWR.

Note that the GCWR is still limited to 26,000 lb. (11,794 kg) so if you keep your Cyclone close to its max gvw of 18,000 then even your Kodiak may not be enough truck. (What's an empty Kodiak weigh??)

caissiel

So true about heavier trucks, the GCW is way up when the TV is included. Its a fine line this safe towing business. Also we fall in licencing Issue with more then 26000 Lbs GCW. Here in my province its not a concern but elsewhere its important.

lwmcguir

The only real way to tow the heavier coach's and toy haulers is with a F450-F650 unless you go with the big Chevy's as the post are noting. Ford is so far ahead of the pack their is really no comparison. We have had both so we know from experience. Using the heavier TV's is like sitting in the LR driving instead of on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to happen next. Having said that we do use our F250 for the lighter trailers (16K) and the F550 for the larger ones.

2010augusta

The only real way to tow the heavier coach's and toy haulers is with a F450-F650 unless you go with the big Chevy's as the post are noting. Ford is so far ahead of the pack their is really no comparison. We have had both so we know from experience. Using the heavier TV's is like sitting in the LR driving instead of on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to happen next. Having said that we do use our F250 for the lighter trailers (16K) and the F550 for the larger ones.

So true, When we are relocating to a new area the DW and I have to travel seperatly, and I can drive the F-450 towing the Landmark, longer than the DW can stand to drive the Grand Cherokee.