suspension upgrades ???????

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Hi
I bought a 2009 Bighorn 3055RL and will be picking it up in the spring. I will be towing it with a 2005 Chev ext cab short box 4x4 , 2500HD diesel with a 16K Super Glide hitch. I have been following the threads about suspension problems and would like some opinions from experienced RVers about what I should do. I will be putting a Mor-Ryde pin on the trailer for sure and airbags on the truck. What in your opinion should I be looking at suspension wise on the trailer. I want this trailer to last me for a long time and want to be safe going down the road. All opinions welcome. I know this has been discussed after a breakdown but I want to do something to prevent that breakdown.

Thanks

Rick

caissiel

I think you have heard the honest truth about the problems, Their are a lot of trailers out there that do not have any problems at all,
I will wait and see, it is a concern of mine also.
I am keeping an eye on a spare spring unit to, as I carried with my last trailer. Spare springs for 7000Lbs axles are not easy to find on the weekend.

lwmcguir

Looking at how light the hangers are, the Trail Air seemed like one of the better options to me. Take a look at the video. It works just like that. We don't have that many miles on it yet but the rough roads we have traveled on had it working like a dream. Takes the shock off the springs, tires, and trailer frame.

caissiel

I was looking at the Dexter Axle parts list and they have a heavy greasable shackle kit for tandom trailers, It would be great if they would come standard on the heavier trailers. My 5000 lbs axles had the same shackles as the 7000lbs ones and they wore enough that I made and installed heavier ones there also.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are looking for a suspension upgrade check out the Mor-Ryde IS (independent suspension) system. With the IS there is no axle, no springs, no spring hangers. While up grading you can add the never lube wheel bearings and you never need to worry about greasing the bearings. Finish it off with hydraulic/electric disc brakes and you will be able to stop the coach and don't have to worry about brake adjustments. We did this upgrade and have been totally satisfied. Some of the best money we ever spent.

Ricoh

I love the trailer but this suspension and frame problem is not giving me the warm and fuzzies:). I don't want to be looking in my mirrors more than out my windshield just waiting for something to break. What is the best way to upgrade for ride quality and safety? I need this unit to last a long time.

Rick

caissiel

I have bad vibes about the more-ryde system, the aligment is my worries. Rubber get squashed and there it goes. Had a friend with a 40 ft, Newmar, 8 wheels double wheel tandom trailer and he had to change all 8 tires after 2 years and 2 trips across the states. We used typical bearings in our mill and in no time we were replacing the rubbers, ended with Roller bearings instead.

lwmcguir

We have several trailers with Torsion axles and have had good experiences. They are all 8K or larger and some are on triple axle. My biggest problem with them is keeping the trailer level to load each axle the same. One triple axles is about 20 years old and we haul a 2000 gallon tank full on it so it is loaded to the max. They are very difficult to align but is installed correctly you really shouldn't ever have to make any changes. We really like the Trail Air better as it handles the rough spots without putting the extra weight on the other axle like the Torsion axles to. You still have the benefit of an equalizer and you get the wet bolts as part of the kit. Still as the other post notes the Torsions are almost no Maintenance at all.

Delaine and Lindy

Suspension ???

I for sure would have the Lippert retro-fit installed or get the Mor/Ryde X Factor, because there is a problem with Frame roll. And I would spend the dollars and get a Trailer Saver Air ride 5th wheel hitch, Trailer Saver does just as the name implies . And I would get the Level up System (6 Hydraulic Jacks) and several have done. Keep in mind the Air bag upgrade will only absorb some shock from ruff roads and will keep the truck from sagging. The Mor/Ryde pin box is a great pin box and will work great in conjunction with the Trailer Saver Air ride hitch. Yes the Trailer Saver is pricey, but so is your 5th wheel. GBY...

lwmcguir

The Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch is going to be our next upgrade. Just makes to much sense not to do it. Most of us have over 60K and up in the Coaches so the percent going to the hitch is relatively small.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW - For those who don't know Lippert (LCI) owns TrailAir. That is just for information as TrailAir has good products. But for those who hate Lippert ....

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Getting the wet bolt kit is a good up grade. It comes with heavy duty shackles. Did mine.........but takes jacking up the coach and using a floor jack to align them. Easier to do if you remove the wheels. BTW, while the wheels are off..have them balanced. Bob:D

Ricoh

Thanks for all the replies but are you saying the Mor-Ryde pin is not the way to go. I can't change my hitch because it's a shortbox. As for the suspension Do I keep my axles and upgrade the hardware and springs and shocks or change it right out for something else. Is there no part of our suspensions that is any good at all ? HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you by the way.

Rick & Joanne

wdk450

Suspension Upgrades

Here is my list in order of preference:

1) MorRide or Airborne Pinbox (Pretty much eliminates chucking).
2)MorRide Center Point or Independent Suspension System. Reduces stress on springs, equalizers, chassis and interior.
3) Hydraulic Disk Trailer Brakes. Your diesel tow vehicle should have an exhaust brake also.

I think that the current production of Lippert Axels/springs is O.K. based on a big reduction of these current problem postings on the forum. If you are buying an older production model, I would think about buying US made springs for peace of mind. With my 2008 production Bighorn, I got new US made springs from a 3rd party this summer. 3 out of the 4 old springs had flattened out.

lwmcguir

Here is my list in order of preference:

1) MorRide or Airborne Pinbox (Pretty much eliminates chucking).
2)MorRide Center Point or Independent Suspension System. Reduces stress on springs, equalizers, chassis and interior.
3) Hydraulic Disk Trailer Brakes. Your diesel tow vehicle should have an exhaust brake also.

I think that the current production of Lippert Axels/springs is O.K. based on a big reduction of these current problem postings on the forum. If you are buying an older production model, I would think about buying US made springs for peace of mind. With my 2008 production Bighorn, I got new US made springs from a 3rd party this summer. 3 out of the 4 old springs had flattened out.

I think this post is right on after following hundreds of posters and our own experience. Larger axles have larger brakes so either way disk or larger drums is a good choice.

There is night and day difference in the towing from our experience. When we hook up to a cattle trailer that has Torsion axles but not the Fifth Airborne hitch we can really tell the difference in chucking when loaded.

If you are going to keep a unit for a long time it is worth every penny.

Delaine and Lindy

Trailer Saver.....

wdk450, excellent post great ideas. But I just might add, I would consider the Trailer Saver Air ride 5th wheel hitch. I have a Trailer Saver Air ride hitch (TSLB2H 32,000 lb capacity) and I have the standard pin box (21,000 lbs) and have no chucking. I will say we have a very heavy pin weight and we travel very light. The other Trailer Saver we had was a TS 3 which mounts on the standard bed rails and can be moved from Truck to Truck, and will fit most bed rails such as Reese, Valley/Huskey. By using the Trailer Saver you can use the standard pin box. And if you happen to have any chucking you can then add the Mor/Ryde pin box. I have had Trucks with the exhaust brake and the Freightliner has the 2 stage pac-brake. All my Allison transmission didn't reall need the exhaust brake. Again this is just my opinion and experience I have had using different type hitches and equipment. I also think the B&W steel hitch is the best static hitch I have owned. I did have equipment trailers with the torsion axles and they work fine and they had the surge brake system, I'm not sure how they would work under a 5th wheel. Most all the upgrades people have suggested can be done prior to you picking up your 5er if you happen to order a new one. I have been to the Mor/Ryde factory and seen different (new) 5th wheels there waiting to have the upgrades installed. Good Luck with your choices, and you know the choices are almost unlimited, just depends on how much money you want to spend. We for sure spent a ton of money to get what we should have done in the begining. GBY...

porthole

Retired
If you are looking for a suspension upgrade check out the Mor/Ryde IS (independent suspension) system. With the IS there is no axle, no springs, no spring hangers. While up grading you can add the never lube wheel bearings and you never need to worry about greasing the bearings. Finish it off with hydraulic/electric disc brakes and you will be able to stop the coach and don't have to worry about brake adjustments. We did this upgrade and have been totally satisfied.
I also did these upgrades and recommend them, except for the never lube bearings. I saw a box of failed never lube bearings while I was at Mor/Ryde.
I’m certainly no artist, but the drawing below shows what I am referring to. The never lube setup has two bearings almost side by side. The standard bearings have the bearing at the opposite ends of the hub. Better load carrying IMO.

I have bad vibes about the more-ryde system, the alignment is my worries. Rubber get squashed and there it goes. Had a friend with a 40 ft, Newmar, 8 wheels double wheel tandom trailer and he had to change all 8 tires after 2 years and 2 trips across the states. We used typical bearings in our mill and in no time we were replacing the rubbers, ended with Roller bearings instead.
Mor/Ryde axles are aligned in a conventional manner (shims), and should be able to be aligned at any shop that has the equipment to do trailers/trucks.
Axles currently installed in most trailers are aligned by bending the axle. Hopefully you do not need to do this too often. But I would venture to guess, the more you align a traditional axle the more it will need to be aligned. Both are subject o go out of alignment if you hit something hard enough

Thanks for all the replies but are you saying the Mor-Ryde pin is not the way to go. I can't change my hitch because it's a shortbox. As for the suspension Do I keep my axles and upgrade the hardware and springs and shocks or change it right out for something else. Is there no part of our suspensions that is any good at all ? HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you by the way.

Something to keep in mind with your pin box. You have a super glide hitch, so that means you need a super glide adapter plate. PullRite makes a dedicated adapter plate for the Mor/Ryde pin box. You have to use the universal plate on the TrailAir pin box. The universal is a drill and bolt on plate (something like 16 holes have to be drilled). The dedicated is a much better setup.
As for Mor/Ryde longevity? Who knows? But the second picture below is from the RV Museum in Indiana. That is a Mor/Ryde IS system on a trailer that is probably at least 30 years old

Attachments

• Hubs.jpg
    Hubs.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 19
  • RV_Hall_Of_Fame_27_b.jpg
    RV_Hall_Of_Fame_27_b.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 31

2010augusta

Maybe we are in the lucky minority, but we are using the standard pin-box and a 18K Reese Select Plus hitch and have NO chucking at all, The trailer rides completely level when hitched to the F-450. The king pin sits just in front of the rear axle center line. The truck has an air-ride suspension system (not air-bags) on the rear suspension to soak up the bumps on the road.

porthole

Retired
Also, If you are going to add air bags to the truck I would highly recommend the wireless controller. A very nice upgrade that does a super job of keeping the bags where you want them.

I got mine from Kennedy Diesel. Good service and fair pricing. And they specialize in the Duramax.

wdk450

Upgrades

" We for sure spent a ton of money to get what we should have done in the begining." Boy, I sure agree with that one!

I bought my coach with CASH from a retirement cashout. It had been sitting on the lot for a year, so I had no chance to have things installed at the factory. I had been on this forum for a short while before the purchase, but had no idea about the upgrades NEEDED for safety, comfortable ride, and peace of mind. I would have bought everything on my list at the time of purchase had I known what I know now. I would also like to add to my necessary upgrades list, Goodyear G614 tires (instead of the unknown brand tires supplied), and a tire monitoring system.
Right now I only have the MorRyde pinbox on my trailer, and the exhaust brake on my truck, from my list. I have upgraded the springs since they were flat, as a peace-of-mind safety issue.