Fresh Water Drain Heater

Boca_Shuffles

We will be traveling to a warmer climate this winter from Michigan. No doubt we will be stopping at CG along the way that may have the water during the day or even have the site water turned off. We would like to use our fresh water holding tank at night, but are concerned with the fresh water drain freezing.

I've thought of putting a light bulb in a bucket and putting this up under the drain on the outside. The concern is over heating and possibly causing a fire.

Its hard to find a 8 inch heat tape with a thermostat.

My current thought is using a heated water bucket that is used for farm animals and dogs. Since this is a temperature controlled unit, I can feel safe about it not over heating.

The thought is to fill the bucket half full of water (or antifreeze, for longer stays) and put it up under the drain on the outside, as mentioned previously. The water will stay warm and the drain won't freeze.

We will drain the fresh water tank before we go back on the road.

This is the unit we are considering.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9b898557-33f9-41e7-8f2e-d4bc4d62fd6a

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, I think you have a pretty good idea. The light bulb in a basic bucket should provide plenty of warmth to keep the drain hose and fitting from freezing and would be much cheaper than the heated bucket in your link. I wonder if a small cooler with the lid removed would work even better. We carry a small 6 pack cooler with us anyway. It has a removable lid and would hold the heat even better than a bucket. Just a thought. Your next concern might have to be the water lines in the underbelly. If the temps get into the low teens you still may have problems while traveling.

jvblade

Canadian Member
You might look at this: http://www.ultraheat.com/shop/Pipe_Heaters.html
They have heat tracing for short lengths of pipe. They are 12 volt so you can still keep them on while travelling. More work then the bucket idea but if you are camping quite often in cold weather then it might be worth looking at.

However the easiest and cheapest is the light bulb idea for sure! ;)

lwmcguir

One of the earlier post noted that they were going to put a second valve up under the insulation and cover so it wouldnt be likely to freeze. They they were adding a cover like a ourside hydraunt on a house to further protect it. Seems like that would work. Worse case is to carry a valve alone in case it freezes and breaks.

Boca_Shuffles

I found a 9-qt bucket at Tractor Supply. The cost was $28.00. It is a 60 watt, 120 volt unit by Allied Precision Industries, Inc.

The advantage of using the water bucket over just a light bulb is that you don't have to worry about heat leaks. The drain is in the above-freezing water.

The unit is a standard bucket that can be used for other purposes when not used for protecting the drain. You could use it to keep your beer cold without freezing. Nothing like a bucket of cold beer in the winter! :D:D:D

Boca_Shuffles

Ray - Your small cooler has the advantage over my idea considering weight. The bucket of water has some weight associated with it. I'll have to come up with something to displace some of the water so that is lighter.

Michigan will have temps in the teens tonight, so I am testing the unit outside tonight.

I had previously thought of adding a second valve higher up in the underbelly. But my DW did not like the idea of cutting the insulation, so I had to come up with an external design. :rolleyes:

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
Heat Trace

Tom ... Just made a 2' and it works great ... let me know if you are interested ... we'll meet somewhere to get you hooked up...

Mike

caissiel

I made an insulated box and just placed it under the cover, it never froze in 3 weeks of cold weather. The old Cooler Idea in a genious Idea. I am the one that will put an other valve under the belly cover. maybe a NC solenoid valve.