Where is the GFCI reset?

davelinde

I have three outlets in my front basement storage, all marked "GFCI" they all stopped working at the same time. The main circuit breaker isn't tripped. I assume I tripped the GFCI but the only reset I can find is on the bathroom outlet.

Where is the second GFCI reset?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, for the Bighorns, all the outlets are protected by the one GFI outlet at the bathroom sink. Silly question but have you reset the GFI at that one? Checked the breaker for that circuit? I have replaced the factory GFI with one that has a small light in the corner to show go or no go!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Dave,

I'm at work right now, but if I remember correctly - I believe I have a GFCI receptacle in the compartment where my water connects - I forget the acronym - UDC, I think! It may just be a GFCI 'protected' outlet, I can check when I get home this evening.

lwmcguir

You may have three GFCI's all on the same circuit. Reset each one of them as any one will cause all three to be dead. Ours has one in the basement, one in the bath, and the other in the Kitchen.

davelinde

Dave, for the Bighorns, all the outlets are protected by the one GFI outlet at the bathroom sink.

Here's the scoop. Neighbor was using an electric buffer to polish his rig and didn't have easy access to AC right there. I had an extension cord on the duplex outlet in the door side front storage and just threw it over to him. As soon as he plugged in the buffer it tripped. I SWEAR I reset the GFCI in the bath but the buffer was stilled plugged in so maybe it just kept tripping.

I was about to leave and he found another outlet, so that was that. We were gone for the weekend and when we got back I began (fruitlessly) to look for the second GFCI, the outlets were still dead. I gave up.

This morning I test reset the bath GFCI to make sure it was working. Then I went outside to search some more. Before searching I plugged in a test light and behold! the outlets were working again.

So the short answer here is that you all were right, there's just one GFCI reset in my rig and it's in the bath. No idea why resetting it the first try didn't do it, but all is well now.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, a small extension (10amp) cord and a 15amp electric motor (buffer) will do it everytime. The extension cord might have the problem if it was not unplugged before you tried to reset the breaker. I think (my normal disclaimer) that all the GFI plugs are rated at 15amps. Bob:D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Prior to resetting a GFCI you need to push the off button wait about a minute and push the reset. It should reset.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
FWIW: In my 3950, I have one GFCI recept in the bathroom and one on the front of the kitchen sink counter.