water filters

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I am looking at Watts filters (double) to clean some of the water coming into our 5er and then one at the kitchen faucet to make the water a little better tasting. The pipes in RVs seem to take on a taste of thier own. Is this the best thing to do or is there a better solution?? I am also going to put on a better water pressure regulator (also a watts)

Two Hands

I tried to use a filter when we first got our Big Horn, but it blew out as soon as I turned on the water. Since then we drink Arrowhead bottled water at home and on the road. We use a Brita filter pitcher for coffee and cooking water. Works great.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have a water filter in line from the shore service. I had a water filter in line under the sink and one in line just inside the basement in a SOB. I removed them both becaause the one in the basement broke even when it was empty of water when I stored it for the winter. I did not see the cracks in the filter case and when I put the water hose to the trailer to charge it water went all over the basement.

In my Bighorn I have an external set of filters. I bought 2 Westinghouse clear canisters at Lowes and put in a 20 micron white filter and a 5 micron charcoal filter.

I set it on the ground beneath the trailer to keep it out of the sunlight and change it out every three months or sooner.

I do use the hoses, 90* quick connect and regulator from the RV Water Filter Store. I suggest the Watts N55BG regulator.
You can find it at RV Water Filter Store

That's what we do..
BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also use the Watts N55BG regulator and a two filter system. The first filter in the clear canister is a RV-SED1 cartridge for sediment, the second is a F1Pb, for lead, heavy metals and cysts. The box sits under the trailer and we don't have an inline filter for the sink. Don't have an ice maker, either.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have installed a whole house filter in the UDC.

Attachments

• Dunno 011.JPG
    Dunno 011.JPG
    774.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Dunno 009.JPG
    Dunno 009.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 152

djg57

Like 'Two Hands' mentioned, I too use a Brita Pitcher filter. It works great. We used to haul 3 gal. water jugs each time we went out. This is much simpler. We try to keep ahead and filter water to store in a 1 gal. jug, so we have the pitcher free to continue filtering when we need it. We store the Brita filter in the freezer when not in use between RV outings, so that bacteria doesn't build up. It maintains well that way, and the cost is reduced. I'm picky about the taste of water, and the Brita tastes good.

Jellystone

Debbie, I love the water filter installation. I may be using a similar type setup after seeing y'all's. Currently we use a surflow inline filter that I connect in at the UDC so it filters water that has run the full length of the hose. Thanks for posting the pics.