Slide Awning Draining Idea.

2010augusta

This is not really a modification to the trailer just a "new" use for an existing part.

With the rainy season here in the Northwest, we have have to find a way to drain the water the pools on top of the largest slide awning. I noticed that if I let the awning relax and drupe a bit the water in the center would run of to both ends. So I tied a loop in a rope to the "anti-billow" arm on the awning and staked the other end to the ground. This allows for the awing to be relaxed with just a tug on the rope. Here are a couple pictures to better explain what I did.
DSCN9786.JPG

DSCN9787.JPG

2010augusta

Never mind, DO NOT Do this, I just broke the little arm off the roller. I did not realize that it was only held in place with one screw on the far side. If two screws were used this might work better. I guess I will be searching for A&E awning parts now;).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Alan, for as long as you set up in one place, why not make some awning supports from PVC pipe? I made one for our main awning, left it in place most of the summer, and it did the job. Before putting it in, we had puddling in the center of the awning.

fhollan

That's what I done back in 08. Wish now I had a picture of it. I made it the length of the slide out, with the height enough to tighten the awning. I made a "stand" on each end, plus placed one in the middle. This helps keep the water from pooling, plus helps when it gets windy. Just don't glue all of the PVC parts together.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That's what I done back in 08. Wish now I had a picture of it. I made it the length of the slide out, with the height enough to tighten the awning. I made a "stand" on each end, plus placed one in the middle. This helps keep the water from pooling, plus helps when it gets windy. Just don't glue all of the PVC parts together.

Exactly! I got the idea from this forum, but don't remember who I stole it from :confused: Whole thing comes apart and stores in little space. I did glue the upright supports together, though.

caissiel

Could it be possible to thighten the spring on the roller. Your return spring might be getting weak.

jnbhobe

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11673&highlight=awning
Try this link to what Cookie did. JON

2010augusta

I might do that next, But I was trying to create a bit more slack in the awning so all the water runs off the back end of the slide and act as a bit of a gutter.

jnbhobe

Alan; make one end a little higher than the other, then the water will run to the lower end. Jon :cool: :cool:

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
A quick fix ( read temporary ) is to put a soccer ball between the slide and the awning, creating a high spot that lets water run to lower end. Best wishes, God Bless ya, Al W