to the oregon members.....help...

airedale

trying to find the route from I-5 to the coast that would give me the best chance of avoiding snow......going to try this route sometime next week and will be watching all the weather reports and web cams.....local knowledge is still the best......should it be 6...18...20...34...36...126...38 or 42...??...[forget 6...took it last year].......good thing is, i can hunker down if the weather craps out.... in no hurry to get any place......in advance.....many tnks.....and happy new year............pete

branson4020

Icantre Member
6, 26, 18 I can say for certain are perfectly clear. Probably everything is now - been warm and rainy the last few days. My personal favorite route to the coast pulling a 5th wheel is 38.

airedale

thanks 4020.....while i am heading for winchester bay and the umpqua looks terribly fishy where you first run into it and the next bunch of miles.......i did the drive on google earth the other day and it looked quite windy [i mean curvy not windy].....it looked like a beautiful drive and i assume the elevation changes are'nt too critical.....reasonably correct..??....and thanks....

boatdoc

Just take 38 if your headed to WinBay. It will drop you just North of the bay, couple easy miles South and you're there. If headed further South, like CA, I would stay on I5 if at all possible. We're leaving middle of the week also for Quartzite and keeping our fingers crossed Ashland stays open till we're over it.
Good luck

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You are getting good advice from both Branson 4020 and boatdoc. We also like the road from Eugene to Florence (126?). Florence to Winchester Bay is 30-40 min or so going So. on 101.

Have a safe drive.
Kristy

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Airdale
We are headed south on the 10 of Jan. Staying on I5 all the eay. If there is snow on I 5 we will stay in Canyonville over night and get over the next day.

dbarnard

Boatdoc, we also are leaving for Quartzsite this week. Are you staying in the dessert or in an RV Park?

airedale

bob....early feb last year on 6....fueled up in banks and forgot my chevron card....grrrr.....snow on the sides up by the summit.....road just wet.....you're rite....pretty drive.....stayed in the rv park on the river 5-10 miles short of tillamook....
the oregon coast has been my favorite for the last 40 years....specially in the winter.....to walk out onto an endless beach in a light mist and not another soul in sight.........aw well...just something i always look forward to......
kristy.....tnks....been on 126 a few times...old memories....
to all going down i-5.......i've done shasta and the siskiyou's in the snow.....dont need any more stress in my life....
think i'll just sit at winchester bay for a few days and watch the boats come and go....unless of course, its raining......cheers

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Dale
We are heading for Quartzsite too. Right after the Road to California Quilt show, we head for mile marker 99 south of Quartzsite to meat up with a ham radio group for a week