frustrating furnace

Bobby A

We are in Fl. and should not have to use the furnace, but we have, temps in the 30's last night and tonight. The furnace burner keeps igniting, you can hear that loud like exploding sound several times during a cycle. I know this is not normal, I get very aggravated when I hear that sound cause while we were in Elkhart in October I had the factory look at it and they called Surburban and apparently they had a tech come out and look at it and said there is nothing wrong with the furnace. Has this happened to anybody ?? anyone know whats wrong ?? I will be calling customer service first thing in the morning, this should of been corrected while I has in Elkhart. Do it right the first time should of been the motto, I don't blame Heartland but do put the blame on the tech from Surburban or who ever they called to service it.

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
Bobby A ,
if you do a search for "Furnace" and go to the one that navyAZ1 posted.. it looks like he went thru the entire furnace ..Hopefully you can find something that will help you ..

Mike

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
It's normal to hear it upon initial ignition, but once it is lit and running, the only times I have heard it was when I was getting close to empty on propane. I change to a new bottle and it works fine. That being said, it has only happened to me when temps are down in single digits or below zero; I've not had it happen with temps in the 30s.

navyAZ1

Hello All, We still don't have our situation resolved, however we had a new campground host come in to the park where we are hosting and he had had a similar problem with his furnace in October and he found a RV tech in Hahira, GA who is suppose to be a furnace expert. This tech was able to find the problem with his furnace and fix it when a couple of other techs could not find the problem and it is still working. So, I have an appointment with this tech tomorrow morning I'm taking the furnace to him and hope to God he can fix it and it continues to work once I have reinstalled the furnace. I'll let everyone know if we get it fixed and just what he found.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Hello All, We still don't have our situation resolved, however we had a new campground host come in to the park where we are hosting and he had had a similar problem with his furnace in October and he found a RV tech in Hahira, GA who is suppose to be a furnace expert. This tech was able to find the problem with his furnace and fix it when a couple of other techs could not find the problem and it is still working. So, I have an appointment with this tech tomorrow morning I'm taking the furnace to him and hope to God he can fix it and it continues to work once I have reinstalled the furnace. I'll let everyone know if we get it fixed and just what he found.

I may have to ship you my furnace and have him fix it, too! :D

rvn4fun

When we were having furnance problems, our's sounded like yours. It would relight several times in the cycle. Some times during the night it would quit working all together, resulting in a cold trailer. We called a tech and he found the regulator was faulty, not enough pressure, in fact when the furnance was running, and you used the burner on the stove the furnance would go out. After the regulator was adjusted up everything works right and no more noise in the furnance cycle.

We have a new Heartland Greystone 33QS and when we fired up the furnace for the first time we needed it, we got no heat flow in the bath or the bedroom. Took it to the dealer and he confirmed no air flow. He called the Heartland service rep and was met with a great deal of resistance from the Heartland folks. Our dealer serviceman found that the way the furnace was installed was not allowing airflow to the bedroom and bath. He got no help from the Heartland folks and was instructed to "not modify the system". Our dealer instructed his service man to "fix it" and he built a plenum to correct the problem. He blamed the problem on the design and suggested a fix to Heartland and it fell on deaf ears. Anyone else had this problem? A good dealer and service department kept us from demanding our money back and buying another brand. We love all the other aspects of the Greystone but it wasn't much good to us with no heat.

jimtoo

Hi Jon, Skywagonflyer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. I see you have been a member for a while just looking around. As you can see we have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think what you have posted is a very rare problem, especially with Heartland not repairing the problem. Did the service man show you or explain why the way it was installed was wrong? I don't think I have heard of any others like this and they have sold a lot of Greystones. Also did you contact Heartland yourself?

Enjoy the forum and welcome to the family.

Jim M

Hi Jim,
Yes, our service tech at Explore USA formerly worked at the assembly plant and his explanation was that it simply was not engineered properly. The furnace should be where the hot water heater is and vice versa. The ducting from the furnace was not adequate to carry any airflow to the front of the trailer. He built a plenum that reduced the volume and increased the pressure and replaced the existing hoses to the registers. The way it came out of the factory, it was delivering a huge amount of air to the living room and kitchen but virtually none to the bathroom and bedroom. Since this was warranty work, I chose to let Explore USA work with Heartland to the point that if it got fixed I was happy but if necessary I would have to get involved. The name of the rep at Heartland escapes me but he was not willing to believe there was a problem. Pretty disappointing. The Explore USA group did an outstanding job of sticking up for the customer and It says a lot for the importance of a good dealer. Hopefully we won' have any more problems.

Thanks

Jon McCoy

jimtoo

Thanks Jon,

ExploreUSA is my dealer also, Seguin store, and their service is great. I cannot complain about their service or sales at all.

Main thing is they got it fixed and have a happy customer and owner.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M