One year down... and many more to come...

2010augusta

Well, one year ago today (Jan 3) my wife and I pulled into Brownwood, TX and hooked up our trailer to full utilities and water for the first time. WE had left Ellicott, CO on Jan 2 and drove many hour to get to Wal-mart in Abilene, TX around 2am. We woke up and drove another couple hours to Brownwood. I had been RVing for many years, but that was the first night that Sandy had ever spent in a RV. I guess I have spoiled her now, if our first RV together is a Landmark Augusta, where do we go from here? We spent all of January, February and the first half of March in Brownwood. The first few weeks Had Sandy questioning her/our decision to move into a 40' RV to live fulltime, but after I got all the little issues with the brand new trailer worked out and got the water fittings to stop dripping, she relaxed a bit and started to love this lifestyle.

We made a nice journey through New Mexico to get back to Colorado for our wedding on March 21, 2009. We stayed in CO for most of the summer which worked out well, as I was able to help my parents with many projects around their house and My house in Ellicott sold after 6 month on the market, so we had to get the last of our stuff that was stored there moved out. My older brother also got married on the 4th of July 2009, and on the 10th we were headed back to Texas for 8 weeks. Sandy was hired by a hospital in Uvalde, TX, so we had to stay there for the hottest two months of the year and for one of the hottest summers on record.

In the middle of September, we made our way through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, and Washington to settle down in Gig Harbor, Where Sandy will be working until at least the end of September 2010. I have finally been granted my WA sub teaching license, so in the next week or so I will finally be back in the classroom, although not as a full-time teacher, I am just happy to be earning money again.

I would have to admit that a few years back I would have never dream that at the age of 28 I would have already spent a year of full-time RVing and been to all the places we have traveled to since starting this fantastic journey. This has all been possible because of my wife's job and the travel nurse possibilities. Most of our friends think we are crazy, and we probable are, but many change their mind when they stop by and visit us in the campground and see just how beautiful and spacious our Augusta is, and the freedom we have to move our house where ever we want to find work. We a definitely not your "average" full-timers and many other people in the campgrounds can not understand how such a young couple can be fulltiming.

We are really hoping to make it to the Oregon rally this June and meet more of our friends for this forum, and anyone out there that is planning a trip to the Olympic Peninsula of WA anytime, look us up here in Gig Harbor at Gig Harbor RV Resort.

jbeletti

Congratulations Alan. You and Sandy are a lucky couple to be doing this at your age and you're an inspiration to others wondering "can we do this?". It's not for everyone for sure :)

Thank you also for all your contributions to the forum. Guess we'll have to go back to figuring things out and finding links to stuff "on our own" - now that you'll be back to work :)

Jim

2010augusta

I'll still check in on things on the fourm, I just might not have the 24/7 coverage that many members think I have:D

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Congrats, Alan! Awesome. I'm sure you'll soon discover that work gets in the way of more important stuff! :D

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Congratulations Alan on making a year in your Landmark. We'll have a one year anniversary in this Bighorn on January 9th, although we began our adventure in a Bighorn 3055 in November '08.

It's been fun with a few problems to keep us on our toes, but we go back to Elkhart in April for some repairs to be made.

Jellystone

What a wonderful country this is! To be able to do what y'all are doing is a testament that the good ole' USA is truly the land of the free. Congratulations to the both of you on your 1 year fulltiming anniversary. I know it was probably a big decision to make at first, but it sounds like the end result is good.

lwmcguir

Alan, Congratulations to the one year as well. Thanks for all the good info you have posted and the knowledge you have shared regarding the Augusta's inner workings.

Riverman

Most folks go to school - get a job - eventually retire, then enjoy full-timing. You my friend seem to be going backwards!