New to this RV thing

Just wanted to pop on and say hi. Beth and I purchased a Landmark Grand Canyon on 12/28/09. We have never done this sort of thing before but always wanted to. Gonna have it delivered to Port Aransas, Tx and purchase a TV later in the summer. I figured since I've been lurking around here the past few days I would post. Great topics and so far a pretty good education.

Tommy

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Welcome

Welcome, Tommy, to the Heartland family. This is a great group of people that are very willing to help new Heartland owners and RVers. I would like to encourage you to look into joining the Heartland Owners Club. There are a number of great benefits. Information can be found by clicking on the "Club" link found at the top of the page next to "Portal". Perhaps we will meet at the Heartland rally In Nashville, TN, July 15-18, 2010. Best of luck with your new Landmark, and once again Welcome.

jimtoo

Hi Tommy and Beth,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

Where are you going to park it in Port A? Are you full timing? We get down that way every once in a while.

Glad to have you as members and hope you enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Welcome as a new Heartland owner. Just curious as to what tow vehicle you are leaning toward? We love our new 2010 F350 King Ranch crew cab. Great truck.

rick_debbie_gallant

Just wanted to pop on and say hi. Beth and I purchased a Landmark Grand Canyon on 12/28/09. We have never done this sort of thing before but always wanted to. Gonna have it delivered to Port Aransas, Tx and purchase a TV later in the summer. I figured since I've been lurking around here the past few days I would post. Great topics and so far a pretty good education.

Tommy

Hey Tommy and Beth:

Welcome, Welcome, Tommy and Beth, to the Heartland family. This is a great group of people that are very willing to help new Heartland owners and Ravers. I would like to encourage you to look into joining the Heartland Owners Club. There are a number of great benefits, calling cards etc...... Information can be found by clicking on the "Club" link found at the top of the page next to "Portal"

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone . We still have alot to learn and will probably be throwing some questions out to ya'll in the future . Jmgratz , Leaning towards a ford but have looked at the dodges , never owned a dodge product before and like some of the things I have seen : Exhaust brake , no idle problems , I believe idling in a ford is a no no for extended periods of time (is that correct?) , and the price . Probably the most frustrating is trying to figure what size tow vehicle to purchase . Just looking at the rough wieght requirements it sounds like a F450 is in order but really dont want this much truck but want to be safe . We won't be towing alot , a few months at the coast , a few at the deer lease and 3-5 short trips a year out west . I run the roads daily out west and south tx (outside sales ) and see trucks that look like overkill and trucks that look like they have no buisness pulling a large trailer . I thought a 1 ton SRW would be fine but the numbers say differant if I'm doing it correctly . So who knows , I have a few months to get educated . Cyncwby , Yes it has the hydraulic jacks up front , thats a good thing right ? Thanks again for the welcome and look forward to learning athing or 2.
Tommy

Jellystone

Welcome to the Heartland family. Y'all made a wise decision purchasing a Heartland RV. As far as a tow vehicle(TV), you can't go wrong w/a Dodge Ram. All of their Heavy Duty trucks are terrific for towing applications. I've owned 3 different Rams in the last 11 years and all of them have performed admirably. You may want to check out their 4500 series as well for your towing application. Any of the big 3 have quality trucks to meet your needs. Everyone has their "favorite" for various reasons but w/the way the rice burners have "hoodwinked" Americans, I don't play that Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy game. All 3 build outstanding vehicles for various needs.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yes, I would recommend an F450 or at least a F350 Dually. My F350 (2010) tows the 16000 Landmark very well. Look at the tow ratings to be on the safe side. My F350 is rated at 18000 for a 5er. You can get an F450 with a regular pickup bed and it looks like any other dually pickup. Good luck, BTW I am a Ford person but Chevy and Dodge also make good trucks but you will need at least a 1 ton.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Welcom to the forum..

This is always the fun part... Cheby, Dodge or Ford. Hee Hee..

A 450/4500 is probably the best choice. Do not go with a 250/2500. If you look up the specs on the trucks you probably will see that a 250 is rated the same as a 350. About 15,500/16,000. Get the 450 or 550. You can get them in a standard looking truck rather than a special tow vehicle.

I am a Ford fan. If you look at most of the Emergency vehicles they use Ford. Most of the construction companies use Ford.

As the saying goes When the tough get going they go Ford Tough. It is also an American independent company. :cool:

That will start the ball rolling.. Hee Hee...

BC

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
//heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=34157&postcount=14

Just read this post for all you need to know about which vehicle! :D