?s about LP auto change over mechanism

patrick1945

We have just emptied our first LP tank. The switch is turned to the left tank and the green DEAL has turned red.

Questions: 1) To fill that tank do I turn the switch to the right and remove the empty tank for filling? And 2) once full do I put it back and leave the switch turned to the right tank?

Heartland doesn't cover this in the manual.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The pointer on the switch should point at the tank in use. The "DEAL" will turn half red and half green when your first tank is empty. To change your empty tank, flip the lever to point at the full tank, then remove the expired tank and have it filled. Leave the lever alone till the tank in use is empty. Then repeat the process.

Peace
Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
We have just emptied our first LP tank. The switch is turned to the left tank and the green DEAL has turned red.

Questions: 1) To fill that tank do I turn the switch to the right and remove the empty tank for filling? And 2) once full do I put it back and leave the switch turned to the right tank?

Heartland doesn't cover this in the manual.

Flip the lever over to the other tank and the DEAL should turn green (providing there is fuel in the 2nd tank and it is turned on).

Now you can remove tank #1 and have it refilled. No need to return the lever to the left until it turns red (that means tank #2 is empty).

If all the components are working correctly, this is how it SHOULD work. :rolleyes:

Guess Cookie typed faster than I did, I just saw his posting.

wyleyrabbit

Silly follow-up question: Is the "deal" (heh heh) ie. the tank selector switch supposed to auto-switch from the empty tank to the full one? Or does one have to go outside in the torrential rain at 2:45am to flip the switch?

My understanding is that tanks only run out of propane between 2am and 5am. :rolleyes:

Chris

Rickhansen

It will use the opposite tank as a "reserve" mode automatically, but at a reduced capacity. This, of course, is dependent on the non-selected tank's valve being open <grin>. The reduced flow rate will probably only be noticeable during very cold weather, as the liquid evaporating to a gas in the tank is already reduced.

wyleyrabbit

Does the selector switch actually flip over to the other side, and therefore "point" at the tank it's drawing from?

wyleyrabbit

The only time I ever ran out of propane was on our first trip, and we only had a single tank because tank "b" was defective...and yes, it ran out at 2:45am.

So how would I know then that tank "a" has run out and the system is drawing from the other tank? Is there any indicator or anything?

Jellystone

WyleyRabbit, I just had the best laugh of the week reading your post. The 2 times in my life that we ran out of propane in tank 1, I was outside in flannel sleeping pants around 1am swapping over tank valves in 30 something degree weather. Murphy's Law rearing it's head w/RV propane tanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only time I ever ran out of propane was on our first trip, and we only had a single tank because tank "b" was defective...and yes, it ran out at 2:45am.

So how would I know then that tank "a" has run out and the system is drawing from the other tank? Is there any indicator or anything?

Take a look at the sides of the tanks. The one being drawn from should have a condensation/frost line where the liquid level is. On our previous TT, there was enough room and hose to put real gages on both tanks (the auto unit failed me miserably on that rig). To use them on my 3670, I'll have to replace the lines from the tank to the regulator with longer ones so I can turn the tanks 90 degrees to get the gages in the cabinet. Next season project.

boatdoc

It will use the opposite tank as a "reserve" mode automatically, but at a reduced capacity. This, of course, is dependent on the non-selected tank's valve being open <grin>. The reduced flow rate will probably only be noticeable during very cold weather, as the liquid evaporating to a gas in the tank is already reduced.

You sure about this Rick? Never heard this before. I guess I'm not to old to learn something new!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wow.. This seems to be going every direction....

From my experience I have found this.
Both tanks are full. The lever is pointing to one tank.. When that tank runs out or is to low to provide the correct pressure to the regulator it will switch to the other tank. This is an internal valve. The lever does not move automatically. When you switch the valve to the other tank you can then remove the empty tank and have it filled.

Only problem is, you don't know when it switched over. You could have been on the second tank for some time and if it runs out your are SOL. Especially if your using propane for heat. That means even if you have your red woolies on you won't have propane.

I keep one tank turned off... When I run out of propane I switch it over. My main use for propane is to cook with. I use electric heaters, electric WH and Fridge.

That's what I do...

BC

f250dieseldad

We do the same as TxBobcat. Leave one tank valve off. When one tank is empty switch it over and go get the empty bottle filled:)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We do the same as TxBobcat. Leave one tank valve off. When one tank is empty switch it over and go get the empty bottle filled:)
I'm just the opposite. I leave both tanks on and periodically check the valve (during daylight & hopefully a little warmer, hours). I will check it a couple times a day when weather is like this and I know the heater is running more often. When the valve turns red it means the primary tank has run out so I turn the switch to the secondary tank, making it primary. Then I fill the empty tank and leave the switch alone. Repeating the process once the valve turns red again. To each his own, I guess:)

Keith

truknutt

Committed Member
I'm just the opposite. I leave both tanks on and periodically check the valve (during daylight & hopefully a little warmer, hours). I will check it a couple times a day when weather is like this and I know the heater is running more often. When the valve turns red it means the primary tank has run out so I turn the switch to the secondary tank, making it primary. Then I fill the empty tank and leave the switch alone. Repeating the process once the valve turns red again. To each his own, I guess:)

Keith

Same here with the exception that I installed inline gauges on both my bottles. This gives me a little more warning when she's gonna go dry!!

Gauges are similar to these only I got mine at Lowe's in the BBQ section.

Elder1

Looks like JohnDar and I had the same idea, I need longer gas lines on my 3250ts to make the gauges work, so first thing this summer I'm going to make that addition.
Side note to the factory, why not install the tanks with gauges so we don't have to go into the weather at 1am to find out why our heater stopped?

wyleyrabbit

I have gauges on our tanks as well, and use these (purchased from Costco).

de108bc5-afa2-44af-a6a7-e9c80fec86c4_3.jpg

Delaine and Lindy

Propane...........

I have twin 40 lb tanks and they are the ones that run empty between 2:00 am and 4:00 am. Great comment by the way. One thing I might and is I have a third 40 lb tank in reserve at all times. We have been using the fresh water tank (100 gals) for the last three days, but its been below freezing for several day. Global warming I guess. GBY...

wyleyrabbit

I think Heartland should offer propane tanks that only run out during the day as an upgrade. I would have gladly paid extra for those. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you'd need a 40 lb tank as a backup. Why not just a little 25 lb tank? They're much easier to carry, lift, move, fill, etc.

Chris